Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1603327 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9675 on: December 28, 2013, 05:24:58 pm »

I spend more time downloading mods for this and fiddling with them than I do actually playing... installed so many deadly combat mods that I can't even fight brigands without dying hilariously. Good times...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: December 28, 2013, 05:25:07 pm »

That's pretentious? I'd just call it cliché.
Aren't those the same thing or am I mixing them up?

I would call them opposites if their meaning overlapped in any way, shape or form...

pre·ten·tious
Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed

cli·ché
A phrase or opinion that is overused and betrays a lack of original thought

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9677 on: December 28, 2013, 05:31:25 pm »

Woohoo if we were in the 'word associations' thread here's what I'd post after 'cliche'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnV07hLEmxI&t=1m55s

--
Maybe the pretentious part is how the character is allowed to react to being dragonborn, or how they're forced to play the role of someone unfamiliar with skyrim & it's current political situation?
That is, if I recall how going to whiterun goes, (though that is completely optional). That kinda rubbed me the wrong way.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:44:40 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: December 28, 2013, 05:44:45 pm »

Personally I find any game that tries to force such a terrible opening sequence to be condescending to the player, but what pushed it from condescension to pretentiousness was the way it front loaded aspects of its lore right in the player's face, trying to make me give a shit when there was absolutely no reason to yet. Also, spending what felt like a full minute just showing the opening text "Bethesda presents Skyrim" didn't help.

Minor complaint obviously, but I do still feel that pretentious was the right word.

And here's a mod to skip the opening entirely.

Yay!

Once you're past that bit, you can basically go 'SCREW PLOT I HAVE A GIANT SWORD!' for as long as there's nothing you want from the plot. That's the main thing that matters with Skyrim.

Yay!
Thanks guys.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: December 28, 2013, 06:11:10 pm »

Get the Interesting NPCs mod. It basically adds a hell of a lot of amusing and interesting NPCs. Not the vapid, 14-year old designed ones where you get unrealistic barbie doll prostitutes hanging on your every whim, but things like a Khajit Monk that worships all the daedra at once or a semi-alive wizard practically stopped in time, decaying at a rate so slow he's basically immortal.

Also, the voice actors they use in the project is incredible.

Here's the example of the semi-alive wizard stuck in time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3L0n2VRnSE#t=0

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: December 28, 2013, 06:15:43 pm »

... I liked the opening before the dragon attack. I just didn't understand why a horsethief and mysterious stranger were being executed when there is a jail in every city and you explore one directly after the dragon shows up. It would have made more sense if they were there to be allowed/forced to watch Stormcloaks being beheaded before being put in the cage.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:17:21 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: December 28, 2013, 06:17:22 pm »

Leader of the Stormcloaks? They're gonna want to execute him and everyone with him.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9682 on: December 28, 2013, 06:36:32 pm »

Just to be sure, if you will.

Yay middle-age justice!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: December 28, 2013, 06:49:54 pm »

Personally I find any game that tries to force such a terrible opening sequence to be condescending to the player, but what pushed it from condescension to pretentiousness was the way it front loaded aspects of its lore right in the player's face, trying to make me give a shit when there was absolutely no reason to yet. Also, spending what felt like a full minute just showing the opening text "Bethesda presents Skyrim" didn't help.

Minor complaint obviously, but I do still feel that pretentious was the right word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpddXJJLhPY Extra credits on this topic.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: December 28, 2013, 08:12:23 pm »

Steps to elder scrolls mods. From release to now.

1. Play

2. Complain that this is just like the console version and same graphic

3. Download over a hundred mods, any that interest you.

4. Complain that it is too much for your PC to handle

Skip if rich

5. Upgrade PC

If poor (which I am)

5. Complain by the thousands on forums that skyrim is horribally optimized after installing over 200 mods with a bad PC

6. Reinstall and get smart and download only the best mods to you that you can run.

7. Install with a few at a time and make sure they work or aren't buggy/broken.

8. Use wryebash! And tesedit. Now there is no more complaining on forums and its a better experience for the modders!
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: December 28, 2013, 10:00:42 pm »

Yeaah... don't go on the Dragonborn quests as a level 10.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: December 28, 2013, 10:02:07 pm »

Oh, I did it just fine as a level 30. I couldn't get outside of Raven Rock as a level 10, though.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9687 on: December 28, 2013, 10:49:28 pm »

Sometimes Solstheim kills me, and I have an overpowered cheat character. Though that's often from falls.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9688 on: December 28, 2013, 11:41:31 pm »

Interesting NPCs are very hit and miss. Some of the characters I find completely compatible with my conception of the TES universe, well-voiced, and genuinely interesting. The rest are absolutely grating in all of those respects, generally seem too contrived, and cause me to turn foot and run in the opposite direction when I encounter them. My complaint is essentially that the dialogue focuses too much on presenting characters with exaggerated traits or gimmicky backgrounds for sake of shock value, rather than contributing to a tasteful expansion of the vanilla TES universe.

As the old adage goes... the one for Morrowind was better. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: December 29, 2013, 12:24:14 am »

Interesting NPCs are very hit and miss. Some of the characters I find completely compatible with my conception of the TES universe, well-voiced, and genuinely interesting. The rest are absolutely grating in all of those respects, generally seem too contrived, and cause me to turn foot and run in the opposite direction when I encounter them. My complaint is essentially that the dialogue focuses too much on presenting characters with exaggerated traits or gimmicky backgrounds for sake of shock value, rather than contributing to a tasteful expansion of the vanilla TES universe.

As the old adage goes... the one for Morrowind was better. :P
The solution is simple: kill people you don't like (FARENGAR YOU CONDESCENDING BITCH) and don't kill people you like (Ralof for me).
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 896