Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1603378 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9645 on: December 25, 2013, 04:13:32 am »

Oh, and if you want lore info, try not to stray from this site.

EDIT: ooh, that reminds me of one of my favorite lore bits. In Where were you when the Dragon Broken?, Mannimarco says this:

The Maruhkati Selectives showed us all the glories of the Dawn so that we might learn, simply: as above, so below.

Now, what does that mean? I think it is referring to this:

Void to Aurbis: naught to pattern.
Aurbis to Aetherius: possibility to maintenance by time.
Aetherius to Oblivion: creation to destruction.
Oblivion to Mundus: debris of all possibility to anchor of all things.
The echo of the Void is Oblivion. The echo of Oblivion is now mortal death. Death results in reappropriation of spirit towards its aligned AE—either to the god-planet Aedra or the Principalities of Oblivion. Vehk’s name for this transaction, mentioned above, is “lunar currency”.
Mundus to Mortal Death: centerpoint to the soon recycled.
Here we come to the Scripture’s greatest resignation: to imagine the subcreation AFTER mortal death, which by pattern would mean an echo of Mundus, and through this imagining, the failures of so many.
Mortal Death to Z (Z being the state-gradient echo of Mundus Centerex): antinymic to [untranslatable].

As above, so below: the subgradient below is an echo of the subgradient above. Death is the echo of Oblivion is the echo of Void, just as Z is the echo of Mundus is the echo of Aetherius.

Z is the Dreamsleeve, often used by wizards as a sort of thought internet, and is where Vivec built his Provisional House. The Dreamsleeve is where mortal souls come from; it may be described as a sort of amalgam of all free will and mortal thought.

More importantly, Z is where one may undergo sensory deprivation and achieve Amaranth, which the Loveletter describes much better than I can.

I could go on so much about this and how this one book in Morrowind (and Dragonborn) foreshadowed other stuff so much with just 4 words and how amazing that is, but I think this post is big enough.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 04:33:21 am by Putnam »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: December 25, 2013, 07:23:40 am »

OK, I got the low graphics mod latest version working, and NOW it is running quite reasonably. Very very cool

Problem is of course, I want to play the game, rather than have the game play me. Anybody recommend some good mods? I want to decouple monster strength and object quality from player level, and have it related to -where- I am, so that I can have my ass handed to me, or actually take a challenge in going somewhere above my grade. I remember there was one just like that for Oblivion, but I cant remember what it was called.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: December 25, 2013, 07:51:29 am »

Been instakilled by many enemies who do barely any damage at ~50% health.

It's hard to tell because of the way the bars are displayed...

I'm using the 360 version, too.

What difficulty are you playing on? I've only ever been insta-killed once, and that was early on low level, on expert, trying to play a Stealth Archer fighting bandits. I was at very low health at the time too, so it wasn't a big shock. Then again, I rarely get into much trouble with combat anyway. I usually quickly get to a point on any given character where I'm beating the tar out of anything and everything on Expert, so it might be that.
I've mainly played on normal. Started playing on the hardest recently, but it happens just as often.

Also, to tell you how BS they can be...
I was on Solstheim, in that fort with the general guy with the hammer with the awesome enchantment.
I was getting pummelled, so I used the aura whisper shout (I think? That one that makes you unable to be harmed)

The general proceeded to kill me with one of the instakill animations whilst I was still affected by the aura whisper. My body slumped over, and I was still that semi-transparent blue.

Aura whisper does not make you invincible. Aura whisper just lets you see other living/undead beings around. The one you mean is ethereal form (or something along those lines).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: December 25, 2013, 11:59:34 am »

OK, I got the low graphics mod latest version working, and NOW it is running quite reasonably. Very very cool

Problem is of course, I want to play the game, rather than have the game play me. Anybody recommend some good mods? I want to decouple monster strength and object quality from player level, and have it related to -where- I am, so that I can have my ass handed to me, or actually take a challenge in going somewhere above my grade. I remember there was one just like that for Oblivion, but I cant remember what it was called.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91172.msg4834461;topicseen#msg4834461

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: December 25, 2013, 12:10:31 pm »

Sweet, so hows runescape been? :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: December 25, 2013, 12:11:05 pm »

Runescape has better quests.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: December 25, 2013, 01:10:56 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91172.msg4834461;topicseen#msg4834461
I hope to combine that with the Scaling Stopper to prevent enemy scaling. Then, somehow, combine that with SkyRe or something that similarly overhauls character growth. Likely, I'll need to have SkyRe before Scaling Stopper before Morrowloot, then create a Bashed Patch and apply ReProccer. We'll see if it works.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: December 25, 2013, 02:09:46 pm »

Runescape has better quests.

Wasted a few years of my childhood on that game...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: December 26, 2013, 02:44:28 am »

I've installed that rebalanced overhaul mod, and some immersion mods like frostfall, hunterborn, realistic needs somethingorother and what not. Looking forward to getting stuck in. First step, write my damn thesis and stop procrastinating.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: December 26, 2013, 02:47:21 am »

First step, write my damn thesis and stop procrastinating.
You poor bastard. You've gotten the worst possible start. Unless you're writing it on Skyrim.

Seriously, though, good luck. Resist the siren song of Skyrim.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: December 26, 2013, 02:49:20 am »

Haha. Thankfully I am playing it on a craptop with terrible graphics, or I really couldn't tear myself away. The youtube videos of high res playthroughs look amazing.

Anyhoo, only two weeks to go.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: December 26, 2013, 08:06:21 am »

So I just got legendary edition for the PC (I had it for console but...NO MODS OR CONSOLE COMMANDS ARG)

Anyway since I have been having a massive amount of fun as a dirty godmodeing cheater (PlayerSpellBook is amazing :)) I was wondering if anyone knew the syntax for making people nonessential with the console?

I know the command, but I need an example output or so because I always have issues with the syntax of these things.

Also how does one access the Creation Kit?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: December 26, 2013, 08:38:33 am »

I think the creation kit is a seperate utility. Doesn't cost anything, though.

Go to your Steam Library. On the right of the search bar you see "all games". Click on that, and go to the bottom of the drop-down list, then click on Tools. It'll probably be there somewhere.

E: Yup, it's there. Alongside all the other SDKs for Steam Games (Source SDK, G.E.C.K., etc)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: December 26, 2013, 10:57:23 am »

Loool. So now it is on sale again for 75% off. I managed to somehow buy the game in the one narrow window of time where it was twice as expensive.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9659 on: December 26, 2013, 11:27:48 am »

Anyway since I have been having a massive amount of fun as a dirty godmodeing cheater (PlayerSpellBook is amazing :)) I was wondering if anyone knew the syntax for making people nonessential with the console?

I know the command, but I need an example output or so because I always have issues with the syntax of these things.

The command is
Code: [Select]
setessential <base ID> <1/0>
To find the Base ID the easiest way is to go to http://www.uesp.net and find the character you want to change. Note that the id that comes up if you click on something when the console is open is the ref ID not the Base ID, so don't try using that.

Lets say we want to kill M'aiq the Liar. Looking up his page on the uesp we see that his Base ID is 000954BF.

So the command to enter is
setessential 000954BF 0or, as you can trim preceding zeros
setessential 954BF 0
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 896