Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1597504 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8760 on: April 17, 2013, 01:31:19 am »

My problem with the aesthetics you guys are discussing is they're basically devoid of personality.  I'm ok with some characters in fantasy going with the juggernaut aesthetic, but the genre has suffered such a drive towards escalation of everything over the last couple decades that most works of the genre try to cram that aesthetic onto absolutely everything.  Every game or movie iteration seems to feel the need to make everything a little more fantastic.  It gets to a point where the whole genre ends up completely one-dimensional.

I saw this painting at Gencon a couple years ago and had a chat with the artist about this very subject.  It illustrates the point perfectly.  On the actual painting, that text at the bottom read "The Evolution of the Troll".  From left to right, it shows how the design of this creature has changed from 1st to 4th edition D&D.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now this wouldn't be so bad, maybe, if it were an isolated case, but every single humanoid has undergone this evolution in pretty much every work of mainstream fantasy.  They all end up looking the same, except for skin color and a distinguishing feature or two.  In this case, the nose.  On the far left, the entire visual package of that creature has distinguishing personality.  On the far right, the only distinguishing feature is the nose.  It's stupid.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: April 17, 2013, 01:37:26 am »

Yer image seems broke.
Edit: No, not really, it just didn't work for me the first time.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: April 17, 2013, 02:23:55 am »

I've no idea if it's in WoW, as I do t really pay attention to it, but I kinda blame Warhammer 40k for this. The stupidly huge shoulders, they is. Only difference is 40k deliberately does them stupid huge.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: April 17, 2013, 02:58:11 am »

I can't help but feel that the root of the problem is Japan, the greatest threat to Western civilization gaming ours has ever known.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: April 17, 2013, 03:29:08 am »

I've no idea if it's in WoW, as I do t really pay attention to it, but I kinda blame Warhammer 40k for this. The stupidly huge shoulders, they is. Only difference is 40k deliberately does them stupid huge.

Isn't Warhammer supposed to be a sort of satire, though, that operates by taking every sci-fi/fantasy trope and dialing it up to infinite?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: April 17, 2013, 03:38:37 am »

Isn't Warhammer supposed to be a sort of satire, though, that operates by taking every sci-fi/fantasy trope and dialing it up to infinite?
Hence 'A PRIMARCHS FOUGHT ANOTHER PRIMARCH AND THE PLANET CRACKED'.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #8766 on: April 17, 2013, 03:43:55 am »

Heathen!
WARHAMMER IS SRS BSNS!!
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: April 17, 2013, 09:13:08 am »

I blame Rob Liefeld.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: April 17, 2013, 02:39:06 pm »

Crap, I accidentally image-googled Lusty Argonian Maid with safesearch turned off...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: April 17, 2013, 04:07:54 pm »

Crap, I accidentally image-googled Lusty Argonian Maid with safesearch turned off...
why were you searching it in the first place?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: April 17, 2013, 04:31:05 pm »

Dude, some questions are best left unasked.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: April 17, 2013, 06:18:51 pm »

I'm going to to take a wild guess here and say the offending result was on either DA or FA.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: April 17, 2013, 07:08:04 pm »

I'd ask what DA of FA means, but I think I'm better off not knowing.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: April 17, 2013, 07:14:51 pm »

They're both websites liable to have NSFW pictures on the topic.

Spoiler: NSFW (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:17:19 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: April 17, 2013, 08:29:34 pm »

Dude, some questions are best left unasked.
No i really do want to know, even if the world is rendered asunder from my curiosity.
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 896