Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1598643 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8415 on: February 23, 2013, 09:56:30 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that whenever you pick up things, not by putting them in your inventory, but by holding the interact button to make them hover in front of you, they're always upside down? Every time. Every object. Is there a reason for that? Did the dev team do that on purpose, to make it easier to put buckets on people's heads or something? I miss Morrowind's crude and effective house decoration mechanics.
This happens to me too. It makes Statues of Dibella very difficult to put down on their base.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8416 on: February 23, 2013, 10:00:52 pm »

How does someone get into the heart of the draugr burial chamber without any skills, without dying anyway?
I used a big sword and lots of circle strafing.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8417 on: February 24, 2013, 01:46:02 am »

How does someone get into the heart of the draugr burial chamber without any skills, without dying anyway?
I used a big sword and lots of circle strafing.
I didn't mean in gameplay, I meant in the Random Alternate Start mod which often spawns you there, and I have to wonder how someone with no skills at fighting or sneaking got in there alive without any items or weapons to aid him/her.

Anyway, here's what happens if, during chargen, you use player.setrace while actually selecting a different race in the menu:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I selected Dark Elf, then set it to High Elf and then to Orc. Might've been altmer>dunmer>orc, though. Anyway, you can get pretty awesome/freakish things with racemixing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: February 24, 2013, 01:52:12 am »

Huh. That's something else. Anyway, with Random Alternate Start...let's just say you stumbled in as a tourist and lucked into not tripping off the traps or something? Well, we can always invoke "A Wizard Did It," and have you poited to a random location in Skyrim. Also, which burial chamber?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8419 on: February 24, 2013, 02:01:13 am »

I've wound up in Olaf one eye's, Bleak Falls Barrow, and that one with about 6 draugr all standing up and already awake. It's a wonder how an obvious hobo made it past so many draugr without getting minced, and whatever it was, it doesn't seem to last long enough to get your bearings. Winding up in the middle of a bandit or vampire den makes more sense, they'd have reason the lure you all the way in before attacking. Maybe you had a drunken night with the bandits and you're all just sobering up...

Should I actually start the game with an Altdunorsimer?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8420 on: February 24, 2013, 08:29:07 am »

Should I actually start the game with an Altdunorsimer?

Sounds interesting, do it!
Tough I wonder how he/she will look if he/she contracts vampirism?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:20:55 am by Ultimuh »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8421 on: February 24, 2013, 09:47:39 am »

Heh. Reminds me of some videos I've seen on youtube. Let's just say that Argonian + anything = DEARGODNO.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8422 on: February 24, 2013, 10:22:15 am »

Heh. Reminds me of some videos I've seen on youtube. Let's just say that Argonian + anything = DEARGODNO.

And orc+khajiit just looks.. uhm.. See for yourself..
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:35:00 am by Ultimuh »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: February 24, 2013, 10:33:09 am »

player.setrace dremora!?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8424 on: February 24, 2013, 10:36:52 am »

Heh. That's one of the videos I'm talking about, actually.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8425 on: February 24, 2013, 07:05:36 pm »

Got a favor to ask folks. I'm gearing up to start playing Skyrim at some point and started going through mod collection lists. It's a big ol' list and having not played in a good year or more, I dunno what's compatible with what. I'll eventually go through while I'm installing and check compatibilities, but if people would glance at the list and if any mods they're familiar with conflict, please shout out. It'll save me a lot of time. You can ignore the ones with ? at the end of the name, I'm not sure I want to d/l those or not.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also taking suggestions on must have mods for realism, survival, all around improvments.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:24:29 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: February 24, 2013, 08:00:21 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that whenever you pick up things, not by putting them in your inventory, but by holding the interact button to make them hover in front of you, they're always upside down? Every time. Every object. Is there a reason for that? Did the dev team do that on purpose, to make it easier to put buckets on people's heads or something? I miss Morrowind's crude and effective house decoration mechanics.
This happens to me too. It makes Statues of Dibella very difficult to put down on their base.

The system actually got worse than in Oblivion. About the only thing they did right there was that when you picked things up, they always hung from the point your crosshairs were. So you could somewhat juggle objects until they were the right side up before placing them somewhere.

Then in Skyrim, for some reason they decided to always center the object in your sights, and rotate them upside down. And also that nothing except things you could pick up could be held this way, so you can't pull hanging chains or things anymore, or random scenery objects.

I don't see any point in this change other than the devs being sick of people actually using the game physics.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8427 on: February 24, 2013, 08:03:55 pm »

DELETED: Duplicate due to 505 Gateway Error :/

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8428 on: February 24, 2013, 08:15:37 pm »

If they were sick of people using the physics then why would there be a shout that they placed in an advert; and them make that shout be based on the physics.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: February 24, 2013, 08:50:56 pm »

The most probable reason for the dragging of objects is that they had to create a new engine (that is basically a copy of the old one, that they can't use because the company that owned it bankrupted or something), and when coding the physics, the current effect ended up being created.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 896