Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1603101 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #6135 on: May 24, 2012, 10:18:31 am »

The devs have said that the main series will never leave Tamriel, IIRC

They also said they'd never be an ES MMO and yet...

More accurately, they said they would never develop an ES MMO.  And they aren't.

I was wondering if any of that kinky roman behavior would ever show up in the imperials.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Guess the Imperials are really based on the romans, then.

(as if their skirts and names like Classicus Musicus Gluteus Maximus wasn't obvious enough).

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: May 24, 2012, 10:58:48 am »

We've already had hammerfell! I think that Valenwood or Black Marsh would be more interesting, black marsh because it may actually bring that morrowind magic back and Valenwood because it's part of the aldmeri dominion at this point
I wouldn't hope for it.  Bethesda retains very few staff members from the Morrowind period, especially writers and concept artists.  One of the greatest modern deceptions is the thesis that quality has anything to do with an established setting, universe, brand or IP.  It is necessary to prop up the current glut of sequels, continuities, and shared universes that have come to dominate a large share of movies and the American comics market, and to dehumanize those who actually produce quality content.  Chip Zdarsky wrote an excellent narrative on Warren Ellis' blog about "Watchmen 2" that shows how ridiculous the concept is (Warning: Somewhat NSFW content, including a rather Vonnegut-esque sketch).  We have to remember that Cyrodiil was a tropical jungle with factional strife, political intrigue, and a magnificent Imperial City before Todd got his hands on it.

tl;dr - Talented developers will produce excellent media regardless of how stupid the source material is while incompetent developers will never produce anything of value no matter how many IPs you give them to ruin.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: May 24, 2012, 01:51:28 pm »

youre totally wrong maaaaaaan

we need just a bit more ip!

what if the nuke at the fallout 3 end sent the character in cyrodill, along with supermutants? join the mutants quest against the orc for the stupidest stereotype race! nuke the elves with the repeating rocket launcher! have somebody ask which star sign the fallout 3 hero was, for no apparent reason, because that's what continuity is around here!

that's a plate full of awesome, and it's here for the taking!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:53:01 pm by LoSboccacc »

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: May 24, 2012, 03:35:31 pm »

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/05/24/mounted-combat-arrives-in-latest-skyrim-update/

New patch allows you to smack things while on horse and shit.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: May 24, 2012, 03:46:32 pm »

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/05/24/mounted-combat-arrives-in-latest-skyrim-update/

Wait! For free? As in we can just have it, not DLC?
I'm impressed.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: May 24, 2012, 03:46:51 pm »

Going to have to test that out and see the quality of the mounted combat.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: May 24, 2012, 04:02:45 pm »

Huzzah! Finally some good news!
It's FEF, not FEOF

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: May 24, 2012, 05:13:26 pm »

YES.  That is all that needs to be said.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: May 24, 2012, 05:18:01 pm »

Woah.

Will NPC's use horses?

Suddenly, running away from guards is a less viable option. Of course, that's assuming that the guards have ways to get horses, which is unlikely considering that each town only has 2-3 horses.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: May 24, 2012, 06:15:13 pm »

Woah.

Will NPC's use horses?

Suddenly, running away from guards is a less viable option. Of course, that's assuming that the guards have ways to get horses, which is unlikely considering that each town only has 2-3 horses.

I have yet to see a guard on a horse anywhere in the game, so I don't think that will be much a problem.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: May 24, 2012, 07:25:08 pm »

So I tried out the beta update, here are my first impressions of mounted combat:

Feels very satisfying to slash a giant by riding by it on a horse
Bows are weird, hard to shoot in any direction but straight ahead due to horse controls
I tried fighting a dragon, but it was difficult because my horse kept pushing the dragon around.
Hunting deer is much easier, don't have to try as hard to chase them down.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: May 24, 2012, 10:27:23 pm »

AWWW SHIT! WHEN DO I GET TO RIDE GIANT EAGLES![/allcaps]

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: May 25, 2012, 01:41:10 am »

Makes me wonder how much more of the good shit from the gamejam they'll be adding really.
*Hugs*

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: May 25, 2012, 01:48:44 am »

Spell kill animations? Check. Mounted Combat? Check. Dragon riding? Soon. Just need spears and giant boss mudcrabs and Bethesda gets slightly more redeemed in my eyes.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: May 25, 2012, 02:31:03 am »

Makes me wonder how much more of the good shit from the gamejam they'll be adding really.

Honestly? I'm pretty sure most of what was in that show was supposed to be in the game originally and got cut, either half- or almost-wholly finished (I mean, come on, no spell kill cams? That was either just incredibly unthoughtful or lazy unless it was cut) because of the release date time issues.

I do appreciate that they're implementing it for free even though it didn't make the release, though. It not something I would have expected from a big time publisher these days (especially not one with Beth's DLC track history), so I'm grateful for their attitude. I hope it a business attitude that's here to stay as well and not just a PR thing. It could be possible that they release some things for free so that they'll get less fan criticism if they charge for other stuff (that also seemingly should have gone in the original content) later, but even if I might be setting myself up for a disappointment I don't want to think that just yet. For now, I want to believe dammit.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 896