Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1604047 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #5865 on: April 02, 2012, 07:51:19 pm »

Just used Wars in Skyrim for the first time. A Cyclops spawns outside Whiterun, kills everyone outside the city walls, and then gets beaten down by a troop of 5 elite guards. It even killed the stablemaster!

I have a feeling that if I keep using this mod and deadly dragons, I am going to end up wiping out every town in the game.

Also, all the new items that have been modded in are in Spanish (or Portuguese?). Quite an eyesore. Same with the new spells...

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: April 02, 2012, 11:12:17 pm »

I'm just going to shamelessly plug my new enb config haha.. But I am curious, how many people use some version of enb for their graphics? Also, do many of you use something to the make the nights and caves darker, like Realistic Lighting? I love my Skyrim to be pretty dark when it's supposed to be. Ever since that one mod got released for oblivion that made all the dungeons totally dark I've been hooked on dark nights in my bethesda games. FNV is way awesome with dark nights!

Anyway, just finished a pretty sick enb config and I'd like to share. For some reason this has gone mostly under the radar considering it's probably one of the best all around settings you can get. The screens are great but check them out in game for the full experience.

SCREENIES!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LINK TO MOD HERE: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=6578
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:14:25 pm by joey4track »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: April 02, 2012, 11:52:16 pm »

Am I the only one that preferred Oblivion's saturation over Skyrim's desaturation? The world feels dead, akin to Fallout's world. I can't play Skyrim without a ENB config that saturates the world.

And thanks Joey! That looks amazing, and I shall try it. My computer will probably cry, though.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: April 03, 2012, 12:09:26 am »

Am I the only one that preferred Oblivion's saturation over Skyrim's desaturation? The world feels dead, akin to Fallout's world. I can't play Skyrim without a ENB config that saturates the world.

And thanks Joey! That looks amazing, and I shall try it. My computer will probably cry, though.

Agreed. When I first loaded up Skyrim it was quite a massive letdown where as I wasn't disappointed in Oblivion until I discovered its horrible leveling system. The color was all wrong. That is actually one thing that I think sets my config aside is that I really dug into the color balance and that is where you get most of your realism. And don't worry about your rig! None of these settings even use SSAO, these settings are way easy on the frames and I even have an optional performance config that is gorgeous and only has a 3 to 5 fps hit(for me). If you check them out I'd love to get some feedback, thanks!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: April 03, 2012, 12:59:22 am »

Humm, this is your performance ENB config vs RLRN's ENB config. It's a hard choice  :-\

Spoiler: RLRN (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Joey's (click to show/hide)

I cant help but feel like I am missing something though. Both look decently desaturated :(

Edit: And this is your Classic config, along with me putting my settings on ultra high (Ahhh 15fps). Still feel like I am missing something :(

One thing is for sure; I have to find a way to make that really obviously tiled terrain to stop being so obvious. Off to the nexus!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:08:09 am by Rex_Nex »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5870 on: April 03, 2012, 01:03:04 am »

I dunno. While it's true that Skyrim had some problems with Real Is Brown, Oblivion looked something like a horrifying industrial accident in a bloom factory involving a cart full of glow-paint getting dumped in a reservoir of shininess.

Joey's config looks pleasantly like morrowind.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: April 03, 2012, 01:12:45 am »

I kind of miss the bright colors. Its true that overall Skyrim looks a lot better, but... eh. Like I said, it looks dead. You won't find this anywhere in Skyrim:

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:15:10 am by Rex_Nex »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: April 03, 2012, 01:24:01 am »

I loved Skyrim's desaturated colors.  Bright colors are like a sunny day.  They're very pretty, but they also murder my eyes.  I'm someone who likes to read books by moonlight, and wears sunglasses on cloudy days.  Muted, subtle tones are just more comfortable to look at.  I also thought the bleakness really fit with Skyrim's nordic theme.  That said, I didn't really like Skyrim's vanilla color filters that slightly monochromize everything.  A good desaturated look can be achieved without them.

I use ENB, but I look for configurations that remove the color filters, bring out extra detail, softness, and sophistication in the lighting.  Stakado's Cinematic is basically perfect, I think.  I just wish I could run it on higher settings.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: April 03, 2012, 04:23:24 am »

I kind of miss the bright colors. Its true that overall Skyrim looks a lot better, but... eh. Like I said, it looks dead. You won't find this anywhere in Skyrim:

I don't think that they would fit the whole civil war theme. But I can relate to you, we had snow yesterday and I really miss the bright colors of summer. I like that Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim all have their palettes and it gives a different feeling to each of them. If Skyrim would've used the same palette as Oblivion, it wouldn't feel like it's a different place. Now it does.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: April 03, 2012, 11:41:46 am »

I've just started playing with Duke's Heavy Weapons, Unlevelled World, and Hardcore & Balanced Experience (none of the wilderness survival mods because that sort of thing doesn't appeal to me at all).

Picking the "outlaw" option for Alternate Start dumped me right in the middle of the Reach, forcing me to spend most of the day evading patrols of guards and Imperials, the occasional Draugr, a bear, and later, an ice troll who was actually content just to hang out where he was and pay me no attention. I ended up having to go through Bthardamz, during which I pulled an Afflicted into a trap so I could get my hands on a bow. I got to Druadach Redoubt before dusk, using said bow to snipe one Forsworn and engaging his dual-wielding ninja Forager buddy in a battle that mostly involved me cowering behind my shield and drinking loads of wine. I eventually managed to force him to yield while simultaneously passing out.

I would ask how long this sort of self-reliance might be expected to hold for, but I already know the answer is "as long as I want it to".

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: April 03, 2012, 05:00:12 pm »

so why does shield blocking in elder scroll games only block a % of damage? why not just make shields actual shields, and make them breakable within reason?
do you think its more RPG purposes or dev laziness purposes?

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5876 on: April 03, 2012, 06:13:56 pm »

Because fights in TES last so long that there's no reasonable way for them to make shields breakable. Remember how they basically never broke in Oblivion? The only time item degradation was really an issue was in Oblivion realms or on the Isles.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: April 03, 2012, 06:19:43 pm »

Im sure they have a reason. It would arguably be easier to make them break then to block a % of damage, so I doubt laziness has much to do with it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: April 03, 2012, 06:24:42 pm »

Ideally you'd do the best of both worlds, where shields are breakable and block all damage when they're in good condition, but start blocking less than all damage the more degraded they get.

Unfortunately that doesn't jive well with the armor value pool system they've built up.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: April 03, 2012, 07:06:12 pm »

Hah, my copy of Fallout 3 looks alot like that.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 896