Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1599765 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #5700 on: March 25, 2012, 06:33:41 pm »

In how many games is there a convention for fighter types to smash locked objects? How often does that have meaningful consequences that actually impact your decision to break something, or go look for a key?
KOTOR let you bash a few doors and most containers. Bashing containers open would usually destroy a couple of the items inside.

As I've said, it's been done so thoroughly in the past, there must be some sort of open library for the code. If that doesn't appeal to Bethesda, what the fuck will? If you take the door bashing example, and extend it to about 1/2 a dozen other stupid easy things Bethesda should have been doing since Oblivion, it starts painting a picture of a publisher that honestly doesn't care what people like, or what clearly works. Some might count that as independent thinking.....but given the quality of the systems they did put out, I count it as extreme cost/benefit analysis getting in the way of making your game fucking interesting.

It's likely someone higher-up decreed that "2 dozen scripted fights is more worth our time than a simple mechanical feature that will affect every single container and locked item in the game."

Christ, I even seem to recall at some point in FO3, they HAD door/container bashing mechanics, albeit in a limited and highly scripted form.

And if they'd bothered to include that in Skyrim, they could have even add a perk for brute force smashing with less of a chance of destroying items or making tons of noise. Why, this shit practically writes itself!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: March 25, 2012, 06:40:29 pm »

They had door smashing in Daggerfall and Arena as well. So it's not as if they're unaware of the existence of the mechanic.
*Hugs*

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: March 25, 2012, 07:23:18 pm »

Sometimes, it looks like Bethesda scrapped some good features for some reason. I still don't know why we don't have Fallout's limb damage system. When they think about implementing a feature, I'm sure they think like "hey, should we do this or let the modders do this?"

It might be because the game wasn't going to make it to the release date so they had scrap some ideas.

I'm surprised no one said "You can open locks by using the console and imagine you breaked it open. It's kinda like a self-imposed rule, but that's what RPing is about" /sarcasm.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: March 25, 2012, 07:26:40 pm »

Although to be fair, any door bashing mechanic would be semi-pointless since......we don't even have a character "strength" stat to add variance.

Whoever over at Bethesda that thought skill levels and perk were a 99% replacement for character stats should be kicked in the genitals repeatedly.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:52:22 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: March 25, 2012, 07:42:30 pm »

Game could ask you "Do you think your character is powerful enough to break this door/container open?" and you could answer depending on your character. Or you could decide that at the character generation. No need to create a complex system for a feature like this. Like a wise man said once,

Let us play the game how we want to, and you can play it how you want.

Enough sarcasm. I'm really curious what will we face in the next TES game. No more skills maybe?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: March 25, 2012, 07:55:18 pm »

I would have been just fine with defining some physical attributes at character creation. I would have even accepted traits purchased via the perk system, if they absolutely had to go that route.

But they just ignored it entirely. So the fist fight quests struck me as awfully stupid for everyone except the guy who said "I'm going to make a HTH character, despite how tortured it is do so in Skyrim." About the only way you can fail those fights if you never, ever put points into stamina. But I suppose you could just swill some potions.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: March 25, 2012, 09:35:47 pm »

Game could ask you "Do you think your character is powerful enough to break this door/container open?" and you could answer depending on your character. Or you could decide that at the character generation. No need to create a complex system for a feature like this. Like a wise man said once,

Let us play the game how we want to, and you can play it how you want.

Enough sarcasm. I'm really curious what will we face in the next TES game. No more skills maybe?

Only two skills one called "Hitting stuff" The other called "Magic stuff". They will probably scrap stats, and just tie them into "Hitting stuff" and "magic stuff". The level design will probably take a page from FF13's book and just have the entire world be linear.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: March 26, 2012, 02:30:42 pm »

Don't forget the sneaking stuff: ability to become invisible while crouching.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5708 on: March 26, 2012, 02:33:24 pm »

Next TES game:

Match offensive sword swing shapes to your enemy's defensive maneuvers in this riveting minigame which approximates the interaction of two parties engaged in combat!

1 match = Hit
2 matches = Critical Hit!
3 matches = Kill Cam Animation!
No match = Fumble!

3 fumbles in a row will cause you to drop your sword and begin a quicktime event to retrieve it!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5709 on: March 26, 2012, 03:21:17 pm »

Craft potions by taking any two ingredients and combining them! They all make health potions, of course.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: March 26, 2012, 05:32:49 pm »

all enemies have the same amount of health and damage! wouldn't want to make the player use strategy would we?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: March 26, 2012, 05:35:22 pm »

I also assume that whenever you go get experience the screen flashes telling you that you have recieved "100EXP!" Also, everything gives you exp.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: March 26, 2012, 05:37:33 pm »

This is all incredibly silly

you silly geese
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: March 26, 2012, 05:58:24 pm »

Pff. I was suggesting outlandish things that would be in the next Elderscrolls game while you guys were still squeeing over dragons.

/hipsterfox
*Hugs*

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: March 26, 2012, 06:15:50 pm »

Pff. I was suggesting outlandish things that would be in the next Elderscrolls game while you guys were still squeeing over dragons.

/hipsterfox

i didn't get skyrim until long after the release, even then i bought it on sale used, and then 50% off.
later i decided i did not like it and began criticizing it heavily.
(dragons were a letdown, that is all)

/hipster.....bomb? zero? entity? quasi-dimensional materialization of forumititis?
lol. anyways, bashing skyrim is all well and good, but can we honestly expect Bethesda/Treyarch/Bioware/Infinity Ward/Bungie/any company to even TRY to make a good game, as long as the other millions of casual gamers just buy whatever anyone else is, and mindlessly play it for days without savoring the plot, or enjoying the challenge?

seriously though, humans suck, i hate them.... wait a second.. DAMNIT!
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 896