Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1600633 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #5220 on: February 15, 2012, 08:00:41 pm »

I am patiently waiting for someone to do a complete mod to turn the game into a heist simulator.
When you say Heist Simulator. Do you mean things that make it worth stealing everything not nailed down???

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=10989&searchtext=

OR generally more fun???

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=11608&searchtext=
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:05:31 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: February 15, 2012, 08:09:44 pm »

bear hands

Made me think of

http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/134
I thought of Half Life Full Life Consequences Free Man. (Warnig: spoilers if you didn't watch the rest of the series before it!)

:P

I thought of this. I wonder w(h)ere (:P) one has a right to bear arms...
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: February 16, 2012, 08:59:41 pm »

Gah... Wasn't there a Mod which placed the First Person Camera in a Third Person style of INFRONT of the characters Eyes, so that if you looked down you could see the body and such...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: February 16, 2012, 09:04:39 pm »

Soooo, I've played Skyrim for about 100 hours now (20 of which I lost after losing a save) and I've finally made up my mind.

I don't like the setting or the factions. Now don't get me wrong, the setting in terms of location is much better done than Oblivion, it's not nearly as generic, the dungeons are interesting to explore, the world looks nice, I actually prefer walking now because the world is actually interesting to look at, and the cities are too small, but still a lot better than Oblivion's. But my main gripe is that they had a chance here to make the Nords stand out and be a diverse, unique, and interesting people, like they did with the Dunmer in Morrowind and failed to do with the Imperials in Oblivion. Instead we just got your standard Viking-type people who like fighting and drinking and hate magic, and that personality for just about every single Nord. I've met more personality differences between the Thalmor than between most of the Nords.

It's just that the entire world just seems disconnected from each other, there's no immersion on my side. The factions in Skyrim are...pathetic to be honest. When you joined the Mages' Guild in Oblivion or Morrowind you got the impression you were actually joining a group, you knew that that group had a connection, a place and members in the world. When you join the College of Winterhold, there's nothing, the College only seems to really exist when you're in Winterhold, the moment you leave, poof, suddenly it stops existing except for the occasional guard mumbling a reference. I know Nords have a whole 'oo-er, magic? Don't like that at all, no no no.' attitude, but you're not going to pretend there's only a dozen or so people who have joined the College or been a part of it?

And the faction quests have just been pretty dire and really much too short. The College seemed really interesting, then just deflated into making the whole thing anti-climactic and resolved without a single loose end tied up or even explaining what the hell just happened and what the Eye was. The Dark Brotherhood likewise had a very interesting main plot, which to be fair stayed interesting right up to the end, but the actual assassinations you got were boring as hell. I mean, in Oblivion you had things like 'pose as a guest, kill off your fellow guests and make them blame each other' and 'replace this guy's medicine with poison'. In Skyrim? 'Kill this person'. That's all, you just need to sneak up on them, hit them once with a dagger and leave.

Only really the Thieves' Guild had a pretty interesting and not-too-short quest line. As for the civil war...yeah, civil brawl more like. ::)

To be fair to Skyrim, I have had lots of fun (and will play lots more as more mods come out). The gameplay also, is in every way better than Oblivion with my only real big complaint being that they cut down the number of spells again and stopped you making your own, that and an over reliance on Radiant Quests which just sort of end up coming up with 'go to dungeon X, get/kill Y'.

So yeah, I'm planning on doing the Companions' quests next, is it worth it?
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: February 16, 2012, 09:11:34 pm »

If you hated College of Winterhold quests, you'll hate the Companions even more.

If you haven't, start the Dark Brotherhood quests instead.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: February 16, 2012, 09:17:19 pm »

Comeon, the Thalmor had one universal trait of indignant occupying Nazis. The Nords clearly had more personality than them.

And bullshit I have not once heard a villager in Morrowind go "Dang there sure are some smuggler problems, better hire some dude from the Fighters Guild to deal with it." or "Man, the Telvanni are fucking crazy". I do share the feeling that each faction and area is too isolated from one another, but I can't really say the factions themselves were much better in that respect in previous games.

I get the feeling that the factions in Morrowind worked was because there were skill limits. You could not advance in rank unless you had a certain level of some relevant skill. Some skills were pretty slow in leveling too, so 90% of the time you completed a quest you would have to piss off somewhere and do something else before you could get another quest. It was frustrating and inconvenient and made the pacing really good because you did feel like some newbie joining some snobish ranks. It also meant you couldn't power through all the quests in the faction quest line. That pacing feels more like the cause of the problems here.

And the inherent problems with trying to make the plot more dynamic involving moving and speaking actors interacting with eachother and more extensive speech options, but that seems secondary to my main theory.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: February 16, 2012, 09:44:45 pm »

If you hated College of Winterhold quests, you'll hate the Companions even more.

If you haven't, start the Dark Brotherhood quests instead.

What I hated about them really wasn't the actual quests themselves, they were standard 'go to dungeon Y, find X', but were interesting dungeons at least, it was more the complete lack of explanations behind the entire thing.

I mean the entire quest line could be summed up as
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Dark Brotherhood quests I've done, they were good, but the actual side-assassinations themselves were underwhelming. I guess I'll probably just take a break from Skyrim, come back when there's some more mods to play.

Comeon, the Thalmor had one universal trait of indignant occupying Nazis. The Nords clearly had more personality than them.

And bullshit I have not once heard a villager in Morrowind go "Dang there sure are some smuggler problems, better hire some dude from the Fighters Guild to deal with it." or "Man, the Telvanni are fucking crazy". I do share the feeling that each faction and area is too isolated from one another, but I can't really say the factions themselves were much better in that respect in previous games.

I get the feeling that the factions in Morrowind worked was because there were skill limits. You could not advance in rank unless you had a certain level of some relevant skill. Some skills were pretty slow in leveling too, so 90% of the time you completed a quest you would have to piss off somewhere and do something else before you could get another quest. It was frustrating and inconvenient and made the pacing really good because you did feel like some newbie joining some snobish ranks. It also meant you couldn't power through all the quests in the faction quest line. That pacing feels more like the cause of the problems here.

And the inherent problems with trying to make the plot more dynamic involving moving and speaking actors interacting with eachother and more extensive speech options, but that seems secondary to my main theory.

I'm just a sucker for compliments and that Thalmor guy in Markarth is full of them, 'There are so few pleasures in life as fine as your company' :P. To be fair to the Thalmor, there's only like 4 of them ingame that you actually interact with, apart from random soldiers, but yeah I was over-exaggerating with that point, but really the point still stands, 3/4s of the Nords are just 'I like mead and fights, I hate milk and magic' and that's pretty much the basic personality template for most Nords, whereas I really think Bethesda could have fleshed out the Nords as a much more varied race as opposed to just 'Vikings'.

The factions in Morrowind (and also Oblivion) did actually feel like they were part of the world as a whole though, as opposed to Skyrim's factions. I mean, you leave Whiterun and you'll never hear the Companions' mentioned again apart from if a guard randomly mumbles a reference, same thing with the College when you leave Winterhold. I mean, in Morrowind whole sections of the island were under control of the various factions, you found temples in most big cities, shrines in the wilderness, mages' and fighters guilds in the cities, and even when you left, for example, the Telvanni lands, the faction was still mentioned by people here and there, and you still met people from the faction in various places.

And yeah, the skill limits in factions were definitely something that really worked in Morrowind and that they should have kept. It made becoming archmage/grandmaster/grandpoobah/etc actually take time and skills as opposed to 'hi, I don't know any spells except the ones I was taught just now, but in three days I'll be archmage.'

So yeah, I'm not saying Skyrim is a bad game or that it's a classic case of 'MORROWIND IS SOOOO MUCH BETTERRRR', it's just the factions are really...underwhelming and the setting, while visually nice, could really have had more work put into its actual content and backstory.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: February 16, 2012, 11:27:06 pm »

I always assumed draining the Eye meant the dude was going to be ALL POWERFUL, or that it would explode.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: February 17, 2012, 01:42:57 am »

Man, I love me some crazy fucking wizards, but I was going fucking wizards throughout that entire questline. Which, as pointed out wasn't an especially long time (though it did have an interesting branchoff, at least), but still. "Wow, look at this floating, glowing, runed magical orb the size of a carriage that's probably really powerful but that we have no idea what it does. Let's bring it into the college!"

Really guys? Really?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: February 17, 2012, 01:44:52 am »

The Companions questline is the most stupid one of them all. I hate it with a passion.
Love, scriver~

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: February 17, 2012, 02:01:13 am »

I hate the part of the Companions where they literally railroad you into becoming a werewolf if you ever want to work with them again. I mean, there's basically no choice if you plan on continuing to work with them. Everyone will go "Oh you already need to do something so finish it first" even if you say you don't want to become a werewolf. Come on, devs, this is literally forcing a guy to sign a pact with the devil just so he can finish a freaking quest line. It's not like it's hard to program an alternative where the player never becomes a werewolf. You would only have to add like, one more quest where the player never goes to the Silver Hand base and he instead goes somewhere else. Because I literally never had to change into a werewolf in the entire quest besides the forced one to finish it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: February 17, 2012, 02:15:50 am »

I don't see why your all complaining about vanilla, Mod the shit out of Skyrim. I haven't left Riverwood area and already I have fought Foresworn, a few High Level Bandits, a Giant, a Master Vampire. I had to reload 3 times because the foresworn were entering the village and killing off the NPC for starting the main quest line in fact!!!....

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: February 17, 2012, 02:19:12 am »

I don't see why your all complaining about vanilla, Mod the shit out of Skyrim.
I haven't left Riverwood area and already I have fought Foresworn, a few High Level Bandits, a Giant, a Master Vampire. I had to reload 3 times because the foresworn were entering the village and killing off the NPC for starting the main quest line in fact!!!....
I don't see how these two lines are related.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: February 17, 2012, 02:27:29 am »

I don't see why your all complaining about vanilla, Mod the shit out of Skyrim.
I haven't left Riverwood area and already I have fought Foresworn, a few High Level Bandits, a Giant, a Master Vampire. I had to reload 3 times because the foresworn were entering the village and killing off the NPC for starting the main quest line in fact!!!....
I don't see how these two lines are related.
Sorry was in the middle of eating...
This was from the start, level 1. As in right after leaving Helgen, it was all on the way TOO Riverwood. *actually the Giant and Vampire were after I left Riverwood, they were on opposite sides of the river...*
Can't see that in normal Skyrim can you...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: February 17, 2012, 02:36:46 am »

Neyvn, you realise you are telling us "don't complain about the quests or storylines, you can add random encounters (even if they don't fit the area) to the countryside and make the game harder!", right?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 896