Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1601757 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4470 on: January 15, 2012, 08:34:54 am »

Yeah, I think I've had far more fun in Skyrim ignoring the storyline and doing my own thing.
For me, this goes for all TES games. Main Quest never was much fun. Faction quests are more epic.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: January 15, 2012, 09:20:45 am »

Yeah, I think I've had far more fun in Skyrim ignoring the storyline and doing my own thing.
For me, this goes for all TES games. Main Quest never was much fun. Faction quests are more epic.

But this time even some faction quests are boring. Companions in particular.

I'm only on my second character though, and the Dark Brotherhood seems pretty good (asking you to use a particular method to kill for bonus).

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: January 15, 2012, 09:30:34 am »

But this time even some faction quests are boring. Companions in particular.

I'm only on my second character though, and the Dark Brotherhood seems pretty good (asking you to use a particular method to kill for bonus).
In morrowind, I kinda sold the letter telling me where to go so i didn't even know there was a main quest for a while :P
In oblivion i finished it by lvl 5, forgot about it and never did it again.
In skyrim i got the shouts and didn't do anymore.

Faction quests is for benefits or variation to whatever i usually do, though Dark brotherhood usually is fun.
The guild quests in skyrim(that i tried) was just plain dull, tedious or uninspired.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: January 15, 2012, 09:40:13 am »

The biggest issue I have is that all the quests have this huge buildup that promises something insanely awesome or scary or whatever will happen and then it just goes plop and nothing special happens really.

The most fault is with the Deadra quests, they all promise crap and stuff and they never deliver, and some interaction between them would be nice, you know, if you go and become Molag Bals bitch Boethiah shouldn't really want to make her/his/its champion.

Also while we are bashing the game, am I the only one who got bored with the dungeon design after some three or four dungeons.Since really they ALL come down to getting in, killing draugr, killing the boss who is usually a bigger draugr getting the shout and some mostly pointless loot and pulling a lever which reveals a magic passage into the first room of the dungeon. This really breaks the immersion factor as this kind of design screams MADE FOR ADVENTURE!!!!!

Also the whole game feels kind of empty, definetly needs a lot more NPC's and bigger towns/villages.

Better stop now, before I mention too much stuff and start hating the game completely :I
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: January 15, 2012, 09:54:51 am »

Also while we are bashing the game, am I the only one who got bored with the dungeon design after some three or four dungeons.Since really they ALL come down to getting in, killing draugr, killing the boss who is usually a bigger draugr getting the shout and some mostly pointless loot and pulling a lever which reveals a magic passage into the first room of the dungeon. This really breaks the immersion factor as this kind of design screams MADE FOR ADVENTURE!!!!!

Also the whole game feels kind of empty, definetly needs a lot more NPC's and bigger towns/villages.
One well made town with everything needed, every area handmade with a purpose with varying enemies at varying difficulties.
...I guess that a completely other game.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: January 15, 2012, 10:13:14 am »

What I was aiming at is that Skyrim is pretty barren, look at Whiterun, it's supposed to be the trading hub of the province, hence always bustling with activity and yet all you ever see is the 15-odd guardsmen and some twenty people that live in the city, a city which also has some 15 homes (probably more).

Hell if they wanted to make a damned city they should have copied Balmora (or whatever that big city in Morrowind was named, the one where you take that note to that guy, your first main quest), that was plenty big even if it was mostly deserted.

Now I do realize this is a whole new province and things are bound to be different, but it all feels completely barren and empty with the biggest population being the damned draugr and following close are the bandits while the other few hundered people live in the cities and villages, I know that current technology can support bigger NPC populations that are capable of doing more than just uttering the same three lines whenever you walk past them.

And the dungeons are well designed, untill you realize they are all the same. The only real difference is how twisty the corridors get and in which way they implement the same Whale,Snake,Eagle puzzle (which is quite a nice idea and frankly the only thing that gives some sort of challenge or satisfaction when you figure it out).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: January 15, 2012, 10:26:04 am »

but they always show you the answer to that damn puzzle in the same room.

I bet TES VI will have about 3 houses in the capitol city, and 2 houses in the other main cities.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: January 15, 2012, 10:30:25 am »

I bet TES VI will have about 3 houses in the capitol city, and 2 houses in the other main cities.
Unless a new gen consoles arrives. possible.
damn them consoles =(

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4478 on: January 15, 2012, 10:30:57 am »

Actually "current technology" probably couldn't support much larger cities in Skyrim, if by current you mean consoles.

They can never go above 512MB of RAM for the Xbox (and when you get practical, even less on the PS3...which is why the PS3 version of Skyrim is already more of a slideshow than a game) and NPCs in Skyrim are rather bulky in comparison to an NPC in say Fable which used a bunch of cheap tricks which almost made it seem vaguely like cities were alive with people who did stuff...Seriously, the current generation of consoles is laughably old.

Fortunately if the CK is released we'll have an answer to this as you can guarantee that just like we saw mods for Morrowind and Oblivion that did it, we'll see mods for Skyrim that expand the cities ^^
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:36:14 am by MorleyDev »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: January 15, 2012, 10:38:10 am »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: January 15, 2012, 11:21:45 am »

One well made town with everything needed, every area handmade with a purpose with varying enemies at varying difficulties.
...I guess that a completely other game.

Nah it's called a Leveling Major Overhaul mod. Wait for it!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: January 15, 2012, 11:33:21 am »

Everyone knows the first thing that's going to come out when the CK is released are the 40 mods that add breasts and genitals.
*Hugs*

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: January 15, 2012, 11:34:29 am »

Those aren't out yet?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: January 15, 2012, 11:43:25 am »

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: January 15, 2012, 11:46:35 am »

Everyone knows the first thing that's going to come out when the CK is released are the 40 mods that add breasts and genitals.

You forgot the "animation" mods.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 896