Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1601272 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #3645 on: December 14, 2011, 03:02:31 am »

But again, compare between the two games how many immortals you tried to kill because they pissed you off, and how many you tried to kill because 'lol I wonder what'll happen if I power-attack this guy with a warhammer'.

Actually for me that's 0. I don't know about anyone else but unless it's for the sake of laughs or screenshots I've never actually attacked innocent NPCs in any TES game to date unless it was for a quest (Like joining the brotherhood in oblivion). So the issue really hasn't cropped up for me unless I'm playing around being silly.

It's dumb that they're invincible. But I really don't see why it's such a dealbreaker apparently when it's nothing new.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3646 on: December 14, 2011, 03:08:03 am »

because if it says it will give "immersion" than it should.
the only actual invincible npcs should be the ones of the main quest.
which are like...how many?
three, seven with the greybeards.
the two chief leader, who are only present in the main quest if
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
can easily be removed from essential.
bethesda should have given the player the possibility to at least kill them both, to EARN the title of king of the north.
and the Aldmer dominion? i know it's a garrison, but a high elf could have at least gone to them and used them as levying power to wage war.
just saying...
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

irbis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: December 14, 2011, 03:12:32 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z83wzJwrBK0&feature=relmfu
reason to own a kinect sensor now.
who needs gym? just get kinect and skyrim and go into dual sword fight with any immortal npc

and on topic:
theres no such thing as NPC that SHOULD be immortal. Morrowind did it the best possibe way.
i dont have any idea why they took such a big step backward.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: December 14, 2011, 05:19:57 am »

I guess the unkillable NPC's were introduced together with the ability of NPC's to move around and go places.  You don't want to suddenly be unable to do a quest because some important NPC was at the wrong place at the wrong time, running into wolves or getting caught up in a brawl.  I've had plenty of occasions where some hired thugs walked into town to beat me up, causing several NPC's to join in before I even knew what was up.

In Morrowind, the only wrong place at the wrong time was the player, nothing happens when the player isn't there, and nobody gets in a fight unless the player starts it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:26:55 am by Rhodan »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3649 on: December 14, 2011, 06:02:29 am »

well that could have been avoided with the simple: enemies don't attack villagers except scripted events...
so in the end only the player could decide who to kill and who not.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: December 14, 2011, 06:31:24 am »

Meh, in fantasy death often is only a short off-screen time away from being fixed. Being able to "kill" npcs, but they return after a week or so, mentioning there injurys - the player at least gets the joy of overpowering them and it´s not as horrible as immunity to death.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3651 on: December 14, 2011, 06:32:41 am »

more than that, they should give the freedom of the player to decide!
like, in the beginning menu:
"do you wish for all quest related npc to be immortal?
or only main quest?
or no one?
or death is not permanent? if so, after how much time respawn them?"
this would make everyone happy.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: December 14, 2011, 06:39:39 am »

Also the ability to choose if they should make quest related NPCs killable by the human or other NPCs individually. I mean, I would like NPCs to be immortal unless I myself am trying to kill them.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: December 14, 2011, 06:42:09 am »

"And never forget, gamers are hurr-durr... *laugh*"

CEO "Game Industry wherever"

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3654 on: December 14, 2011, 06:49:02 am »

well, basically it's like that.
"gamers now are only a bunch of idiotical babies who will cry for refunds if the game is too hard."
when morrowind came out i doubt anyone would have asked for a refund on a "it's buggy as hell" stuff. it was and still is one of the most sold games.
now however...
"COD 3 COD 3 COD 3 everywhere!!!"
just arm yourself and go, nobody is going to make it tough for you.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: December 14, 2011, 08:21:57 am »

Also the ability to choose if they should make quest related NPCs killable by the human or other NPCs individually. I mean, I would like NPCs to be immortal unless I myself am trying to kill them.

That is the case with companions (I actually expected vice-versa, but meh).

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: December 14, 2011, 08:56:10 am »

That is the case with companions (I actually expected vice-versa, but meh).

companions can be killed by monster too, but those usually try to go after you first.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:00 am »

Yeah, all that happens is that the enemy doesn't attack the companion. If he is hit by mistake, area-of-effect-spell, or by a continuously draining effect the he might die anyway. It's also possible for the companions to be hit so hard they skip the whole non-aggro stage entierly.

Also, it's not just companions. Almost every creature does the same thing when they go into their fake-yielding health-recovery pose. It also has the same effect, it causes NPCs to disregard them and go after still active prey. They will finish them off when there is no other active enemies left, however. I've had this happen while fighting Draugr, I hit the Scourge one so hard he had basically no health (and I saw him go into the on-his-knee health recovery pose from it) and left him for Lydia and my Dog to finish off, since there was also an Overlord in the room I needed to deal with. They soon join me against the overlord, which is killed. I turn around to loot the Scourge, and BAM! Ancient Battleaxe to the face. My companions hadn't touched him. I see no other reason for why they would both change targets like that, except that the Draugr also went non-aggro when he kneed downed.
Love, scriver~

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: December 14, 2011, 10:10:39 am »

Essential PC: When yielding, can be murdered by player.  Win. 
Else, whats the point of yielding other then a free recovery period?  The knaves would backstab me after I gave them mercy?  No quarter shall be spared.
I hope that gets fixed with a mod.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: December 14, 2011, 11:09:54 am »

Its definitely going to be one of the first mods I get - being able to kill ANYONE.

I was rampaging through Whiterun, and this OLD WOMAN picked up a bow and started nailing me with arrows.. and I couldn't kill the bitch.  She ended up killing me.  AN OLD WOMAN.  Killing the Dragonborn, who's a big, beefy orc in full Dragonplate.  Didn't help that she was being assisted by the captain of the guard (immortal), and "Olfric Battle-Born, Patron to the great clan Battle-Born, a name you know well." 

I'm just glad Nazeem wasn't essential..
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 896