Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1600734 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #3555 on: December 11, 2011, 08:43:05 pm »

It seems like my problem is definitely low magic resistance, so I pose a question to Bay12 powergamers: what's the quickest and easiest way to up my MR and get back to having fun?

You can get +15% by completing the Agent of Mara quests. Otherwise you're stuck with Atronach, Alteration Perks, and Enchanted Items to fill the rest.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: December 11, 2011, 08:56:59 pm »

Magic is my character's real weakness as well.. I have recently gotten 22% fire, frost, and shock resist through enchanting, but its still not much.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: December 11, 2011, 09:13:08 pm »

Lydia's never reported me on the rare occasions I've stolen things. She is sworn to carry my burdens, after all.

Also, I'm having the same problem as Zangi- I'm mostly capable of dealing with whatever happens to cross my path, but every now and then I'll end up in an especially difficult encounter that I just can't win. I had to savescum at the Potema quest because not only does the final room contain a tough boss monster, it's also home to a veritable horde of harder-than-average draugr and some painful ambient lighting. Deathlords, cool, they're some of the most fun fights I've had in the game. Deathlords with minions, awesome, let's mix it up. Deathlords with minions and a constant unblockable healthsuck? What?

That was easy. You just need the throw voice shout, and a bow. Then stand outside the door and keep using throw voice to make them stay inside while you shoot them. Killed everything except the deathlord, and I got him down to 25% health before he noticed me!  :P But seriously, Throw Voice is useful EVERYWHERE.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: December 11, 2011, 09:29:43 pm »

Unless you feel that using it like that is an exploit, or prefer to charge in and bash everything over the head. Like me.  :D I fought a dude with a life stealing attack.. I kept shield bashing him and dodging his attacks whenever I could, and my follower and I slowly wittled him down.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: December 11, 2011, 09:32:33 pm »

Also, I'm having the same problem as Zangi- I'm mostly capable of dealing with whatever happens to cross my path, but every now and then I'll end up in an especially difficult encounter that I just can't win. I had to savescum at the Potema quest because not only does the final room contain a tough boss monster, it's also home to a veritable horde of harder-than-average draugr and some painful ambient lighting. Deathlords, cool, they're some of the most fun fights I've had in the game. Deathlords with minions, awesome, let's mix it up. Deathlords with minions and a constant unblockable healthsuck? What?

I handled that quest by raising a zombie team from the pile of bodies outside that room (with the power of the ritual stone) (they didn't last beyond the first wave though), summoned a daedra with the Sanguine Rose, then ran around smashing things with my mace of molag bal while using the slow time shout when it was available (I didn't use any companions).

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: December 11, 2011, 10:26:17 pm »

Thanks for the advice! There are so many options in this game that I have a tendency to forget about most strategies except "sneak in, shoot with bow, tank until they die." Clearly I need to pick up some more blacke magickes.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: December 11, 2011, 10:41:15 pm »

I use Ice Form shout the most. Line it up and freeze the whole bunch of them, and then do a dashing power hit to quickly kill the strongest among the ice statues. I can usually kill two targets before they start to thaw.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: December 11, 2011, 10:52:56 pm »

Spellbreaker the shield, looks pretty spiffy for magic resistance.

And having the Elemental Buff for sheilds merit, is pretty dandy.

-------
So how are resistance stacked? They dont seem to be added. So maybe they'er multiplied? My shield suppose to give me 50% vs frost and as a nord, I already get 50% frost. Its not a 100%. I can buy it being at 75%.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3563 on: December 11, 2011, 11:09:41 pm »

So how are resistance stacked? They dont seem to be added. So maybe they'er multiplied? My shield suppose to give me 50% vs frost and as a nord, I already get 50% frost. Its not a 100%. I can buy it being at 75%.
Pretty sure resists are capped at ~85%

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: December 11, 2011, 11:12:07 pm »

Is there any way to support the Thalmor or do you have to hate them because of the main story characters? Kind of want to make an insane necromancer Altmer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: December 11, 2011, 11:13:40 pm »

I think you hate them because they're smug bastards. But afaik, they're plot enemies and nothing else.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: December 11, 2011, 11:17:20 pm »

You can do a quest for one in Markarth.. I don't think they're entirely enemies by plot.  I'm sure there are other ways to work for them.. but who'd want to.. I generally kill them on sight myself.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: December 11, 2011, 11:19:17 pm »

That's something that someone's likely going to add to the PC version when the toolkit comes out, a Thalmor faction.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: December 11, 2011, 11:33:04 pm »

Getting elemental resist boots amulet and ring helped significantly in my own survivability against mages.  The really dangerous stuff they do is all elemental, so once I identified my problem I just enchanted up some 25%-35% elemental resistance stuff and they became much easier.  It seems like the damage is being reduced by a hell of a lot more than just that.

I focused on fire and ice resist since that seems to be what the majority of the mages use.  That and it's all the dragons use too, and I went from savescumming repeatedly whenever I encountered a mage to quaffing one or two potions and stomping them like everything else.  I only really still have trouble against shock stuff, and I rarely see anything using that.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: December 12, 2011, 12:21:04 am »

Ack, something is very wrong when I have shaved down my equipment to just what I use, enacted the apocalypse upon my food supply for which I only use the vege soup, and many potions were sold...  I even use a less weight mod for my alchemy ingredients...

I'm at 415 out of 560 weight...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 896