Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1601371 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #1530 on: November 17, 2011, 07:28:35 pm »

Got glitched in that quest involving
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, where he doesn't open the door.

Gah, glitches.

Speaking of enchantments, yeah, I miss the old enchanting system in morrowind. It was much fun in making useless Daedric weapons of Light and Healing. Either that, or using various useless spells and putting it in your weapon. I miss the day when you could put waterbreathing in your cuirass.

Speaking of armor... Morrowind has a ton of slots for enchantment, such as pauldrons.

Gosh, I miss the old days.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: November 17, 2011, 07:37:10 pm »

Am i the only one to hate npc followers ? After having to follow this imperial guy during the tutorial, i pretty much became allergic to the idea of having "help" from NPCs (ie babysitting them), so i never have any, unless... a quest puts one in my charge. God, i hate them.

There was this mage chick in one dungeon, she kept killing enemies just when i was about to hit them, and i had to stay away from her line of fire, cuz i know for a fact that enemy mages hit each other all the time.
And right now there's this quest for the Companions, where they put me under the supervision of some two-handed warrior. Except he feel more like a dead weight to me. Gotta be careful not to hit him in combat, and he's useless because i'm too high level for the quest.

And now i'll need to reload my save and do the whole dungeon with him all over again (yay), because i discovered that the zombie on which i had stored half the loot for convenience, had disappeared. I guess the body count inside the dungeon got too high and the game cleaned up a bit...  :(

Don't worry, quest followers are invulnerable, but really, it's still annoying, when a mage is raping you from behild with firebolt spells.

But the one thing that annoys me the most is the followers. If their health gets depleted, they crouch down, but if they get hit again while exausted, they die. And couple it with an AI that never seems to catch up with you, then it's useless getting a follower.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: November 17, 2011, 07:43:04 pm »

I love my follower to death.. I mean sure in the wilderness she gets lost, but she eventually finds her way to me.  In dungeons, yea occasionally she'll get in my way and I'll wack her in the back of the head with my sword, but most of the time she's a great help.  She'll keep one or two enemies occupied while I kill the rest.  If she gets knocked down, they come straight after me instead of delivering the finishing blow on her, which I'm grateful for, as she'd have died a hundred times by now. 

It seems when they use magic items with charges, those charges either deplete slower or don't at all. 

Anyways, I never leave home without mah Huscarl.  We be jammin'.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: November 17, 2011, 07:44:48 pm »

I switched from heavy (flawless orcish) to light (flawless elven) yesterday, with an elven magic resistance shield (17%), and despite my light armor skill (~20) being much worse than my heavy armor skill and having four armor-boosting perks in heavy compared to only one armor-boosting perk in light, I've been doing just as well in light armor, and far better against mages than even the magic-resist shield could account for.

Quest followers invulnerable? I had a guy tagging along with me to some grove for some giant tree for a quest to restore the tree in Whiterun. He ran up to a giant with an orbiter and I never saw him again.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: November 17, 2011, 07:47:09 pm »

Hmm, is there random equipment that enhances enchanting skills?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: November 17, 2011, 07:56:13 pm »

I've found random (I assume) alchemy boosting circlets, so perhaps. It wouldn't surprise me.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: November 17, 2011, 07:58:30 pm »

Use the alchemy boosting gear to make better enchantment boosting potions to make better alchemy boosting gear with.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: November 17, 2011, 09:09:07 pm »

Giving Skyrim a try... it works solidly through Wine on Arch GNU/Linux so far. Considering my computer's three years old (although quite powerful for its time), the framerate is fine if I turn the graphics down to medium. The music I'd been listening to as I played (top left) ended up being eerily fitting, as it too pertained to a formidable, furious force of fearsome fire-flinging foes.

(Sorry for the jpeggy quality. IMG.ie wouldn't let me upload my png for some reason. Also, the blanked out spots are where my username/computer name was, of course. I might have been a bit paranoid getting rid of them, but one can't be too careful, I suppose.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:15:12 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: November 17, 2011, 09:17:57 pm »

Personally I just miss making lunactic enchantments, like +100% run speed for 20 seconds, +acrobatics, aoe frenzy.....

Enchant everything with on-use 1sec Jump -> make 100pt jump spell -> activate everything at once. (Or just uncap the spell creator with MCP and make a 400pt Jump spell)

There are jump buffs in Skyrim? Where can I acquire some? D;
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: November 17, 2011, 09:21:22 pm »

Personally I just miss making lunactic enchantments, like +100% run speed for 20 seconds, +acrobatics, aoe frenzy.....

Enchant everything with on-use 1sec Jump -> make 100pt jump spell -> activate everything at once. (Or just uncap the spell creator with MCP and make a 400pt Jump spell)

I believe he's referring to Morrowind.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: November 17, 2011, 09:23:49 pm »

NO. DON'T RUIN MY HOPES.

I believe he's referring to Morrowind.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: November 17, 2011, 09:44:53 pm »

Is it just me or does Skyrim's suffer from the exact same thing Oblivion's did?  Namely, that none of the questlines have any relevance to a larger plot.  The main plots in Morrowind underlining the faction quests (Dunmer vs outlander, the Tribunal Temple, the disappearance of the dwemer, house wars) were all inexorably linked to the main plot of stopping Dagoth Ur.  I kept expecting Skyrim to develop something similar.  The pieces were all there:

The game had so many opportunities to take the plot beyond the generic Euromedieval dragonslaying  mythos and it blew every one of them.  The game succumbed to the same problem as Oblivion: that instead of presenting a living, breathing world it produced a set of non-intersecting questlines existing in a vacuum.

edit: sorry about the spoilers
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:53:11 pm by Microcline »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: November 17, 2011, 09:49:45 pm »

Microcline, spoiler some of those spoilers would ye? I know yer not giving exact spoilers, but they're damn well close enough.

Edit: Thanks
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:12:09 pm by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: November 17, 2011, 10:08:44 pm »

I went to do some bne, and realized halfway through my companion was more a hinderance than a help, I wanted to tell her to get lost. All she would do is accuse me of being where I'm not supposed to.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: November 17, 2011, 10:57:36 pm »

Microcline, concerning 'humanity's greatest ally':

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 896