Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1598328 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #13185 on: December 26, 2016, 06:14:04 pm »

So, should I start modding my Skyrim again now or should I wait for mods to become HD Edition compatible?
The main issue with modding for the special edition is that SkyUI isn't going to be ported over, barring some new team coming in to do it. That means no common mod menu interface.
Do these mods not do that?

There's already UI mods on the nexus that duplicate the major bits of it for SE

EDIT: Here's the ones I use:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5224/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3865/?
As far as I can tell, no. Both of them seem to be primarily overhauls of the item inventory UI, but neither covers the Mod Configuration Menu part of SkyUI, which is the part that other mods relied on to allow for in-game setting of options for each mod.

Here's a way you can get SkyUI v2.2 to work on the Special Edition without SKSE.
That is a truly ancient version of SkyUI. I'm not even sure just what features were actually implemented at that point. Still, it's better than nothing.

In potentially good news, while browsing around the latest SKSE thread for how much progress has been made in porting the script extender over(quite a bit, but no release timetable yet) the SKSE team have been in contact with the SkyUI team, and are generally of the opinion that SkyUI will eventually be ported over once SKSE reaches the required level of completion, even if not necessarily by the original team.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13186 on: January 14, 2017, 02:23:45 pm »

So, what mods do people recommend? I'm entirely re-modding my Skyrim from the ground up, was wondering what people recommend. Mostly looking at GEMS right now.

Especially in interested what people think about perk mods. Essential, which ones, not really necessary? Suggestions not on GEMS also welcome :)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13187 on: January 14, 2017, 02:28:29 pm »

Just gonna quote the list I made a few pages back, with one addition (Run For Your Lives)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13188 on: January 14, 2017, 03:49:48 pm »

gonna add frostfall to that list

it's my personal fav mod and it adds a layer of immersion and difficulty to the game that doesn't rely on a broken and tedious combat system

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13189 on: January 14, 2017, 04:05:43 pm »

Just gonna quote the list I made a few pages back, with one addition (Run For Your Lives)
I'd also recommend looking through the rest of Arthmoor's mods if you grab run for your lives, as he has a large number of similar mods that fix/enhance some areas of the game, above and beyond those the unofficial patch deals with.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13190 on: January 16, 2017, 04:20:35 pm »

Yeah, I ended up getting most of Arthmoor's mods, including Oridnator over Perkus Maximus. I didn't get Frostfall, though. I play Skyrim to be a murdergod, not to survive :v

I find the game quite a bit more fun with Ultimate Combat + Ordinator. It's sort of challenging, but not too challenging. A nice balance.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13191 on: January 16, 2017, 05:35:52 pm »

Yeah, I ended up getting most of Arthmoor's mods, including Oridnator over Perkus Maximus. I didn't get Frostfall, though. I play Skyrim to be a murdergod, not to survive :v

I find the game quite a bit more fun with Ultimate Combat + Ordinator. It's sort of challenging, but not too challenging. A nice balance.

I will say, Frostfall is awesome though. Especially combined with the coats mods. You can still be a murdergod--and when you pull off the whole not freezing to death part, you feel even better.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13192 on: January 17, 2017, 06:18:39 am »

There is something fun about dreading the hike to winterhold simply because it's BLOODY COLD and you'll die on the way if you don't prepare first. And it makes you wonder at the first mage guild quest where they casually ask you to hike several miles across frozen ice and tundra and give you absolutely nothing to help. Like what kind of safety record does this college have anyway? Clearly it's very poor considering the state of winterhold.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13193 on: January 17, 2017, 06:24:52 am »

Considering there's an unfinished quest at Winterhold about missing apprentices that nobody seems too worried are probably dead, I'd say their attitude towards safety is pretty Darwinian.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13194 on: January 17, 2017, 06:44:25 am »

That quest is completable.

You need to nick the rings out of the library without the librarian noticing. There is a note in the room with the giant daedric gauntlet in the summoning circle on the floor that tells you that the investigator removed the rings from the gauntlet and stored them in the library for safe keeping (because he considers them dangerous.)

If you bring the rings to the gauntlet and put them on it, it will activate, and it summons a dremora pirate. He says that the souls of the people who bound him are trapped in oblivion all the same.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Midden
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:46:13 am by wierd »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13195 on: January 17, 2017, 06:45:49 am »

Silly forsaken, everyone knows you're completely safe from the cold unless you install a mod for it. That's why none of the characters ever mention the weather, so you don't get that idea.
Black lives matter.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13196 on: January 17, 2017, 06:51:16 am »

Indeed. I wish they'd put in some kind of environmental effects or challenges. It isn't easy to survive in such a place. At least we have nice modders wiling to add those things for us.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13197 on: January 17, 2017, 07:22:35 am »

Indeed. I wish they'd put in some kind of environmental effects or challenges. It isn't easy to survive in such a place. At least we have nice modders wiling to add those things for us.
Yeah, that's a thing I really think Skyrim as a whole is lacking. Just, survival elements. I'd install a mod for it but I'm at a point where I just want to play through the mostly regular game first. :P
I also have Fallout NV over here, and that does have the "Hardcore" mode where you need to keep yourself hydrated, fed, and not-sleepy. So it's kind of doubly baffling, because didn't that game predate Skyrim?

In other news, the version of Skyrim coming to the Nintendo Switch at some point in the future, currently appears to be based on the Special Edition of the game, at least going by the trailer shown at the presentation. Likely of no concern to most people here, especially since it's another console Skyrim and the likelihood of mods is next to nil... but I thought I'd mention it. Even just regular Skyrim (SE) playable on a handheld is pretty neat. :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:24:14 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13198 on: January 17, 2017, 07:46:11 am »

Give it time. Given that about the only way for the switch to have big games like that installed is via SDCard, the storage medium holding the game files is user pokable, and the hacker community will be all up in that like david duchovny at a swinger's party. If the console versions of the game are anything like the console versions of prior bethesda titles, then getting the mods into the storage media and modifying the ini to tell the engine to load the extra ESM/ESP files should get mods operating, assuming that any encryption of security signing gets defeated.

(In the case of morrowind for the original xbox, no signature checking is used for cache files, so if you can gain access to the storage medium, you can get it to load mods. I know, I have done it myself. Oblivion uses Microsoft's digital signature check for the GoD container, so you need a hacked 360 with signature patching tools to get at the storage. Skyrim on 360 would likely be similar.)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13199 on: January 17, 2017, 07:58:17 am »

I also have Fallout NV over here, and that does have the "Hardcore" mode where you need to keep yourself hydrated, fed, and not-sleepy. So it's kind of doubly baffling, because didn't that game predate Skyrim?
It was also made by another developer, Obsidian. Also the Hardcore mode was kind of terribly implemented. Survival Mode in Fallout 4 is much better IMO. I'd love something like Survival mode for Skyrim.
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 896