Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1598699 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12690 on: August 13, 2016, 01:47:05 pm »

I tried Stormcloak, but I reached a point where dealing with Ulfric and his cronies became unbearable and deleted the save.

You didn't miss much. Ulfric actually delivers a villainous aside to the dragonborn after the victory, and basically everywhere you flipped to Stormcloak gets a thousand times shittier. The end.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12691 on: August 13, 2016, 02:40:39 pm »

Yeah the Stormcloaks are just incredibly unlikeable. They feel like fantasy rednecks.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12692 on: August 13, 2016, 02:55:44 pm »

you don't even bring up any legitimate concerns to him.
Frankly, the stormcloak chain is only worth it for Tullius calling Ulfric an idiot that played right into the Thalmor's plans at the very end.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12693 on: August 13, 2016, 03:07:11 pm »

I barely considered playing Stormcloak because I was playing a non-Nord, and their opinions on other races are pretty clear (though not universal, there are good Nords too).
Skyrim independence just makes it harder for the Empire to resist the Thalmor and eventually reestablish worship of the god-emperor.  It's selfish and short-sighted.
*Then* I met Ulfric and... yeah, no regrets.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #12694 on: August 13, 2016, 03:18:03 pm »

In response to the "Balgruuf be Ballin" posts, I present to you another example of his unrestrained savagery
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/010/012/scumbag%20jarl.jpg
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12695 on: August 13, 2016, 04:02:39 pm »

I barely considered playing Stormcloak because I was playing a non-Nord, and their opinions on other races are pretty clear (though not universal, there are good Nords too).
Skyrim independence just makes it harder for the Empire to resist the Thalmor and eventually reestablish worship of the god-emperor.  It's selfish and short-sighted.
*Then* I met Ulfric and... yeah, no regrets.

The thing is, Ulfric is directly responsible for the crack-down on Talos worship in the first place. There's a couple documents somewhere near... Markarth I think, for the Forsworn stuff, that say the local Jarls were extremely lax about enforcing the ban until Ulfric started a riot over it. THEN the Thalmor started sending their patrols along to "observe."

There's also a missive you can find in the Embassy that basically states Ulfric has been mildly brainwashed when he was a Thalmor captive and he's doing what he's doing because they want him to.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12696 on: August 13, 2016, 06:56:01 pm »

I went through the whole stormcloak questline, and I can admit to having had the thought that I fucked up at the end of it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 06:57:48 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12697 on: August 13, 2016, 06:59:03 pm »

They feel like fantasy rednecks.
That's why people dislike them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12698 on: August 13, 2016, 07:07:42 pm »

In response to the "Balgruuf be Ballin" posts, I present to you another example of his unrestrained savagery
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/010/012/scumbag%20jarl.jpg

Skyrim's biggest flaw is not having an independent side where you can put yourself or Balgruuf as the high king of skyrim tbh

i mean you are the goddamn last dragonborn, metaphysically you're probably at least as powerful as the other big ones (Miraak, Ysmir Wulfharth/Talos Stormcrown, Hjalti Early-Beard/Tiber Septim/Talos Stormcrown)...

Wait, actually, what the fuck, there is no reason at all you shouldn't be able to be like "I'm the goddamn dragonborn, I have a right to be the emperor of Man" and take over the Empire. Huh.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12699 on: August 13, 2016, 07:14:04 pm »

You are quite literally chosen by heaven.

There is no person that has any more right to rule than the guy who has the actual, literal, Mandate of Heaven.

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #12700 on: August 13, 2016, 07:23:19 pm »

Not chosen to rule though. The divine mandate of a dragonblood ruler (not necessarily dragonborn) ended when the amulet of kings was destroyed.
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12701 on: August 13, 2016, 07:32:49 pm »

Also, Akatosh makes new dragonborns for the lulz of it.

-snip-
Miraak aside, all those other dragonborns you mentioned are also Shezarrine.

I think Hjalti wasn't Tiber, though. Well, as much as Zurin Arctus wasn't since they all ended up becoming TalOS and the Underking.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #12702 on: August 13, 2016, 07:48:28 pm »

Also, Akatosh makes new dragonborns for the lulz of it.

-snip-
Miraak aside, all those other dragonborns you mentioned are also Shezarrine.

I think Hjalti wasn't Tiber, though. Well, as much as Zurin Arctus wasn't since they all ended up becoming TalOS and the Underking.

And then, Sheogorath is just off in the corner, stuffing his face with sweet rolls. And cheese.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12703 on: August 13, 2016, 08:20:10 pm »

And lettuce, yarn, and lesser soul gems.

Going off topic a bit, but am I the only who thinks that the reason Mankar Camoran stole the Amulet of Kings wasn't for stopping the lighting of the Dragonfires(which would prevent the Oblivion Gates from appearing and stop Mehrunes Dagon from physically entering Tamriel), but so that he could enter Paradise? Of the keys that were required, two were piss easy to come by(Dagon could just provide him with his own blood, and he was probably literally sitting on a pile of Great Sigil Stones), and a third probably wasn't impossible to obtain outside of Cyrodil(the Miscarcand Welkynd Stone was just the last in Cyrodil). But the last one, the blood of one of the Nine Divines? You obtain that one from a scraping of ancient dried blood off a suit of armor worn by Tiber Septim before his ascension. But Mankar probably got his from the Amulet of Kings - the red diamond is supposed to be Akatosh's crystallized blood.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12704 on: August 14, 2016, 01:55:42 am »

I am going to make a prediction. Now that we have one Dragon Born

We are probably going to be seeing a lot more of them from now on :P
Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 896