Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1602187 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #1155 on: November 15, 2011, 08:57:44 am »

Oh boy, just typing tgm and psb on the console is just fun on it's own.

But the interface... oh gog the interface... it sucks so badly...
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1156 on: November 15, 2011, 08:59:45 am »

Interfaces and scaling can be modded.

Also this is the first game ever where I am looking forward to the DLC.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1157 on: November 15, 2011, 09:00:45 am »

Interfaces and scaling can be modded.

Also this is the first game ever where I am looking forward to the DLC.

i hope they'll add in childrens.
bundle of joys you can leave to be eaten by the draugr while you make your way to the exit fast.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: November 15, 2011, 09:02:41 am »

I'm with Imofexios, it's pretty easy to game the leveling/difficulty settings in Skyrim and if you play smart, it's not a difficult ride even on the hardest settings.

And I don't know why people were complaining about mages being weak earlier. They're godless killing machines. It's just that the bonus sneak damage on sneak perks are even more ridiculous. Properly outfitted and enchanted thieves do so much damage to weaker dragons it's sad.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: November 15, 2011, 09:04:24 am »

So. I just got this game. And I have one question. How needed is magic?

In morrowind I played a big stompy orc and it was great, by the end of the game me and my hammer could bash anything into the ground pretty easily. The final boss was my bitch. The only magic I used was of the healing sort.

In oblivion I tried the same build, but by mid game I really struggling in some fights. It seemed absolutely vital to use magic weapons because they were the only thing that could do any real damage, without them I had to spend hours hacking away at just one enemy.

So, which way did Skyrim go?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1160 on: November 15, 2011, 09:06:10 am »

you need some magic, but not really much.
at the very least get the CALM/CHARME spells.
in the event you mistakenly hit an npc you didn't want to hit, it's that you have to use.
because yielding doesn't work, and they'll literally try and punch you to death.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: November 15, 2011, 09:07:06 am »

I'm using a heavy armor two handed sword Argonian.  My favorite spell is currently listed as Transmute.

So up to lv 21 it seems magic is unnecessary.  Might wanna do some enchanting though and get a weapon with soul trap.  but enchanting seems pretty separate from magic in this one.

EDIT: Isn't there a dragonshout that does that charm effect though? Kyne or something like that?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: November 15, 2011, 09:07:57 am »

On masters difficulty, you will want at least some supportive and healing magic later in the game - although you can get through most of the game just playing smart with hackyslash.

Things like stoneflesh are so useful in increasing your survivability, it's dumb not to take it. Free armor.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: November 15, 2011, 09:08:46 am »

Never had that problem myself. I play as a sneaky elf with a bow and dual swords. I have enchanted them both with 'steal life' which makes up for my light armor.
If you play as a heavy armored orc you'd probably never need magic at all. I do always keep useful scrolls I find if I ever get into trouble.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: November 15, 2011, 09:08:54 am »

Any ideas how to raise the difficulty?
I have it "master" allready and still it is way too easy to beat up all opponents.

Specialize in pickpocketing.  ;)

Scccrewww you guys >:(

Well if you want challange, do what I sometimes did in morrowind - just strip down and drop all your stuff, cash and weapons somewhere - then venture forth to reclaim your glory once more.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: November 15, 2011, 09:23:46 am »

....I jump everywhere I go.

it will take a while to get used to just running.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: November 15, 2011, 09:32:56 am »

I just hit 100 Enchanting. *squints* Why yes, my mana bar does move a little when dual-casting Chain Lightning! Oh wait, my insane mana regeneration kicked in. After fighting it's time to craft stuff using +75% Alchemy/Smithing. Or maybe I'll switch to warrior starting with +100% damage weapons?

I love crafting.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: November 15, 2011, 09:43:01 am »

It's worth mentioning, there are TWO traits which will directly impact your overall survivability. Your 1st rank Armor Talent and your 1st Rank Weapon Talent of choice.

I went probably 15 levels only spending two points on 1-handed, and on light armor. The game was getting fairly brutal. So I went and spent another point on each skill....and my survivability jumped about 50%.

Also, read this.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1266212-2469-armor-3199-damage-using-smithing-alchemy-enchanting-only-31-perks/

It gives a break down of the passive bonuses you get from crafting and enchanting, somewhat. Basically, with 100 enchanting and blacksmithing, your basic armor value is something like 200%? stronger. With absolutely zero perks.

I think a lot of people fail to realize what contributes to the game getting more difficult and what enhances their survivability. I purposefully avoided the traits that made me do more damage or take less damage.....but there's a tipping point. Consider that max armor and damage values are around 2000+......your dinky 200 armor at level 30 isn't doing much to help you, and a guy with worse gear but better perk distribution will actually have 2 to 3x your armor value. Which is why you see people with 300 armor in Ebony getting their ass handed to them, while light armor fighters aren't suffering at all.

But just to re-iterate: perks have a huge impact on the final value of most of your shiz. Investing in all the "neat" stuff over the boring passive stuff is why people are getting reamed.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: November 15, 2011, 09:46:03 am »

Pfft 39 damage? My epic glass sword does 51  ;).

Spoiler: End Boss (click to show/hide)

Also thats not the end boss  ;).

I think a lot of people fail to realize what contributes to the game getting more difficult and what enhances their survivability. I purposefully avoided the traits that made me do more damage or take less damage.....but there's a tipping point. Consider that max armor and damage values are around 2000+......your dinky 200 armor at level 30 isn't doing much to help you, and a guy with worse gear but better perk distribution will actually have 2 to 3x your armor value. Which is why you see people with 300 armor in Ebony getting their ass handed to them, while light armor fighters aren't suffering at all.

I agree with this, at level 29 I have full plate steel armor and my overall armor value is 330, 1 v 1 I can pretty much destroy everything, with only the hardest of enemies posing an actual threat.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:14:09 am by Kivish Zokun »

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 15, 2011, 09:48:46 am »

I just hit 100 Enchanting. *squints* Why yes, my mana bar does move a little when dual-casting Chain Lightning! Oh wait, my insane mana regeneration kicked in. After fighting it's time to craft stuff using +75% Alchemy/Smithing. Or maybe I'll switch to warrior starting with +100% damage weapons?

I love crafting.

I was wondering, when you have 100 in Enchanting, do you still get bonuses from Enchanter potions ? If you do, i hope there's at least a cap, cuz it could get crazy ... like : make enchanter potion, enchant gear with Alchemy skill increase, make stronger enchanter potion, etc...

Edit : nevermind, nenjin answered this in his post.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:02:44 am by Sirian »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 896