Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 286680 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #8985 on: December 15, 2011, 12:52:22 am »

We were talking about it (specifically, Laythe's engagement to a Marlax heir being the impetus for her regicide) in IRC a few weeks ago, in the #Bay12RTD channel, and then there was a passing mention of it when all of us were in the #YaK channel.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8986 on: December 15, 2011, 12:58:50 am »

I'm saying 4000-6000 years. GM may disagree.

And yeah, the knowledge of the uprising and Elvs aren't really forgotten; the details of the uprising is just hidden by leaders of society, can't have people knowing that their ancestors went about enslaving a whole race, forcing them to work, and then being defeated by them, eh? The Elvs are part of society in Hatcur; rare but common knowledge. The common explanation among the people is that they're simply another race. A race with quite a few flaws, but no different from a hatcuri.

Do you suppose a long lived and outright broken Hatcuri Wizard would have known it? Still, broken holds a double meaning: his memories are jumbled, insanity is status quo  and casting has become nigh impossible... Rolling a 1d6 where only only a critial success allows for sound reasoning seems "fun" flavored. Would that be appropriate? Also, he ough to be unable to fight on his own given his relatively advanced age, or isn't 800 crippling old even for the Hatcuri?

Most hatcuri don't live that long. 1000 is their limit; most hatcuri live to 400-500.

I suppose I will make him something akin to 9000 (400) then. Thanks for clarifyingthe matter. Before I fully decide on the character, is there anywhere I could find more about starting traits? Sure, an insane elder Hatcuri Mage-Lord from The Curiates wandering the Storm Coast may sound awesome, but it does seem, in spite of how much I cripple him, like a sue, even if only due to its past; Could I have your opinions on this?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 10:59:05 pm by Azthor »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8987 on: December 15, 2011, 04:41:24 am »

Eh...Well mages and hatcuri aren't really well accepted in the Storm Coast. Prepare for extreme discrimination. You also happen to be old and probably have quite a few physical and perhaps mental ailments. And I doubt a mage-lord* would be wandering around in the Storm Coast...Perhaps an "apprentice" of sorts searching for knowledge or something.

*No one outside of the Curiates call them mage-lords. The people on the mainland think a title like that eccentric or humorous.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8988 on: December 15, 2011, 07:22:42 am »

Ok,by now it seems that everyone in Ligoria's service is either a tragic or traumatised character. Not that its bad, but it looks as if Ligoria is a country of sceond chances, with everyone trying to remake their lives or redeem themselves somehow.

with that said, i eagerly await more plot points to be taken up and resolved. Ligoria is not going to go to war in the next year or 2, by the looks of it (Niko is still gonna be really busy), so we can muck about in Talama and build that forsaken economy of ours.

E: I need to ask if gunpowder weapons such as arquebuses and cannons are factored in into the battle rules. How do they operate within the rules? do they confer some sort of attack and anti-armor bonus or are they treated on equal with the crossbows and don't make the slightest differnce. I want to refor the army into tercio, but i must know if it will be worth it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:39:45 am by Ardas »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8989 on: December 15, 2011, 08:11:01 am »

Dwarmin, please roll for my action.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8990 on: December 15, 2011, 11:41:08 am »

KNEW IT.
I told you all on IRC that Pasha was Marlax's son.
Also: I await to see what Laythe does eagerly.

I wish Will wasn't banished all of a sudden.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8991 on: December 15, 2011, 11:56:10 am »

Bring Will back to ligoria and start that damn arms manufacture.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8992 on: December 15, 2011, 12:05:27 pm »

Eh...Well mages and hatcuri aren't really well accepted in the Storm Coast. Prepare for extreme discrimination. You also happen to be old and probably have quite a few physical and perhaps mental ailments. And I doubt a mage-lord* would be wandering around in the Storm Coast...Perhaps an "apprentice" of sorts searching for knowledge or something.

*No one outside of the Curiates call them mage-lords. The people on the mainland think a title like that eccentric or humorous.

That is the key point in his back ground: Insanity by arcane failure, which, together wit his age, mans he is indeed a physical and mental cripple (the later might be subject to a very hard sanity roll at times or something akin to that). As for his motivations, well, I'd say they are a mix from his mad selfsiply wanting to wander the land and his sane self hoping to come upon some sort of cure. Please do treat him with extreme prejudice, that will only allow for his inability to grasp the situation cohesively even more humorous. It goes without saying that he is very, very, very "excentric" (he may well die early as a consequence as one of his actions, but it is worth the risk).

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8993 on: December 15, 2011, 12:13:01 pm »

Considering I all but said he was that's not a hard guess, filius. ^^^ Meanwhile, I'm waiting to see what Laythe's response is, too, since I kind of hit Taricus with a curveball (we'd discussed most of it but I thought it would be more interesting for Dwarmin and Taric if Pasha was the particular Marlax the arranged marriage was for. :3).
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8994 on: December 15, 2011, 12:27:36 pm »

Righteous.

Azthor, I hate to say this... but that does not sound like a viable character. The logical result of an insane hacturi wizard trying to wander around the Storm Coast with no real purpose is said wizard being arrested and either executed or imprisoned indefinitely.
Even if you managed to avoid this fate, insane characters are not actually fun. See: Laythe bodyslamming AF. That was not fun. And that was just using mundane powers. An insane wizard who fails his sanity check, then blows up an entire city (which happens to contain half the PCs in the game) is not fun.
And being old and crippled is not fun. Balancing that with massive magical powers does not help. In fact, it makes it worse.

Might I suggest removing the insane cripple aspect, and 'just' playing an apprentice hacturi magic user, searching the storm coast for some ancient magical artefact.

E: I need to ask if gunpowder weapons such as arquebuses and cannons are factored in into the battle rules. How do they operate within the rules? do they confer some sort of attack and anti-armor bonus or are they treated on equal with the crossbows and don't make the slightest differnce. I want to refor the army into tercio, but i must know if it will be worth it.
Well. It'd be nice to pin down what the battle rules are first.
I stand by my previous suggestion for arquebusiers: very expensive (like 2d, and require high-tech weapon manufacturers), strength increase (+1?), tactics bonus (+1), and cause fear, which reduces enemy moral and makes them run away after sufficient successful volleys.
Also for cannons: high cost, high strength. And land-based ones cause fear.
Long Live United Forenia!

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: December 15, 2011, 12:58:21 pm »

Righteous.

Azthor, I hate to say this... but that does not sound like a viable character. The logical result of an insane hacturi wizard trying to wander around the Storm Coast with no real purpose is said wizard being arrested and either executed or imprisoned indefinitely.
Even if you managed to avoid this fate, insane characters are not actually fun. See: Laythe bodyslamming AF. That was not fun. And that was just using mundane powers. An insane wizard who fails his sanity check, then blows up an entire city (which happens to contain half the PCs in the game) is not fun.
And being old and crippled is not fun. Balancing that with massive magical powers does not help. In fact, it makes it worse.

Might I suggest removing the insane cripple aspect, and 'just' playing an apprentice hacturi magic user, searching the storm coast for some ancient magical artefact.

He cannot really use magic anymore, insane or not, but I can agree to the other points you raised. What kind of artifact would be acceptable and what would be an appropriate age for a Hatcuri Apprentice?

Obs: Nice 'just', something tells me that a 6 while tapping into a leyline being cataclysmic wasn't an exaggeration.

As for the cannons, I'd suggest balancing Heavy Firepower with some sort of logistic mali, after all, transporting artillery always slowed down real world armies.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:06:27 pm by Azthor »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8996 on: December 15, 2011, 01:06:00 pm »

Righteous.

He cannot really use magic anymore, insane or not, but I can agree to the other points you raised. What kind of artifact would be acceptable and what would be an appropriate age for a Hatcuri Apprentice?

Obs: Nice 'just', something tells me that a 6 while tapping into a leyline being cataclysmic wasn't an exaggeration.

As for the cannons, I'd suggest balancing Heavy Firepower with some sort of logistic mali, after all, transporting artillery always slowed down real world armies.
The Mystic Blue Gem of Aknor

It's real, the ancient Order of the Silver Bull said so right up until King Sigurd decided they weren't allowed to be around anymore for failing to find it.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: December 15, 2011, 01:06:22 pm »

Dwarmin, please roll for my action.

Right, on it when I get home this afternoon...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8998 on: December 15, 2011, 01:08:07 pm »

Righteous.

It's real, the ancient Order of the Silver Bull said so right up until King Sigurd decided they weren't allowed to be around anymore for failing to find it.

That sounds like a mighty fine option. What is it supposed to do that'd make it sought after? Or is that simply left for would be searchers to imagine based on the "mystic" part?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8999 on: December 15, 2011, 01:10:50 pm »

Righteous.

That sounds like a mighty fine option. What is it supposed to do that'd make it sought after? Or is that simply left for would be searchers to imagine based on the "mystic" part?
We never fleshed that out, since the only people who ever even knew about it IC were not the sort to know that kind of thing (a thief who followed his "guardian angel" right into a cell in Elbreth's dungeon, and a history book). As a studied Hatcuri Mage-apprentice, though, I'm sure your character might know. Or not! Maybe that's why he's seeking it?

So yeah, it's basically the "mystic" part.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 634