Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 286676 times)

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #8970 on: December 14, 2011, 08:38:48 pm »

Yes, a starting regiment can start upgraded.

Yes, well-learned hacturi can know about the whole elv situation. No, they do not go around sharing this knowledge with people. Indeed, many hacturi who come across this knowledge choose to forget, as it is bloody embarrassing.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that, the character I have in mind suffers from a few... Mental quirks... Yes, let's leave it at that for now; A critical failure while tapping sufficientl powerful a power source can go a long way towards crippling you. Also, is it far fetched for an once magic-wielding hatcuri to have survived for a few centuries? I know some can hit the one thousand mark, but I am unsure as to likelihood, no need for him to be loaded with special background traits after all... Also, could any form of sanity roll be used at times? Sorry for the incessant questions, I've always given the character creation phase enormous importance, specially after playing Tomb of Horrors...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8971 on: December 14, 2011, 09:09:26 pm »

A bit off topic:
Hey CG can me Micelus, Sheb, and Thatkid have rolls?
I wouldn't bother you, as you seem busy with working out rules and such, but its been quite a few days.

Unless I can do the rolls for Sheb and Thatkid...but I doubt that...

Edit: Hope your feeling better Nuke.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:12:27 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: December 14, 2011, 10:22:46 pm »

I've always given the character creation phase enormous importance, specially after playing Tomb of Horrors...

Wh-what Tomb of Horrors were you playing?
If anything that module is supposed to teach players about how dispensable a character is, and how to create them quickly and on the fly. O_O

And yeah, it's fine that you're being so thorough. Dedication is a good thing, don't apologize. I think pretty much everyone likes that sort of thing.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8973 on: December 14, 2011, 10:49:56 pm »

I've always given the character creation phase enormous importance, specially after playing Tomb of Horrors...

Wh-what Tomb of Horrors were you playing?
If anything that module is supposed to teach players about how dispensable a character is, and how to create them quickly and on the fly. O_O

And yeah, it's fine that you're being so thorough. Dedication is a good thing, don't apologize. I think pretty much everyone likes that sort of thing.

No, it taught me about why one should should let their inner paranoid munckin out when the situation is dire... For instance, you can literally dig your way to Acererak with a team of dwarves and a few pickaxes; alternatively, you can collapse it on him. Another solution when fightning "Acererak himself" is to use any of the many instant death traps against him, and you can always use sacrificial lambs to clean the path to him if you had some way of bringing critters with you. With the adequate crafters you could also craft things as you go by deconstructing the dungeon, before the remake the gates were actually made of high grade metals...
And let's not get started on resorting to broken builds, which can allow for anything from omnipotence and orbital bombing to lobbing city-sized rocks and breaching the speed of light before reaching even the 10th level.

Also, don't try to adapt the tomb to epic gameplay, epic characters can be awfully broken, in fact, a 40th level wizard can force Gods to hear them out, create demiplanes and landmasses, as well as whipping out whole empires. Two of the most extreme cases are found in Forgotten Realms, where you have two Netheril Arcanists who somehow made it to the 41st level, one created a spell able to rob a deity of its divinity  and the other become an Undead Elder Brain after manipulating scores upon scores of Illithid.

Modules like the Tomb of Horros didn't make me create expendable characters, they made me obsessively min max the party to utterly destroy it.

Obs: No matter what you do, the Big Bad himself cannot be killed.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 11:11:02 pm by Azthor »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8974 on: December 14, 2011, 11:06:59 pm »

On  a side note, would a sufficiently old hatcuri be aware of the elvs and humans' true origins?

Question has been answered but I'd like to note that no hatcuri lives that long.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8975 on: December 14, 2011, 11:13:15 pm »

On  a side note, would a sufficiently old hatcuri be aware of the elvs and humans' true origins?

Question has been answered but I'd like to note that no hatcuri lives that long.

I reckon that all of the hatcuri who lived at the time of the uprising would be dead by now, but it is unlikely that the time gap would be enough for such a long-lived race to forget the events in question. Also, is there any set amount of time between the great uprising and the curent age?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8976 on: December 14, 2011, 11:15:08 pm »

I'm saying 4000-6000 years. GM may disagree.

And yeah, the knowledge of the uprising and Elvs aren't really forgotten; the details of the uprising is just hidden by leaders of society, can't have people knowing that their ancestors went about enslaving a whole race, forcing them to work, and then being defeated by them, eh? The Elvs are part of society in Hatcur; rare but common knowledge. The common explanation among the people is that they're simply another race. A race with quite a few flaws, but no different from a hatcuri.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 11:19:06 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: December 14, 2011, 11:33:52 pm »

Hey, Taricus, you cool if I have Pasha respond with that bit of backstory we were talking about for Laythe in response to Tala's IC post? :3
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8978 on: December 14, 2011, 11:36:53 pm »

And yeah, the knowledge of the uprising and Elvs aren't really forgotten; the details of the uprising is just hidden by leaders of society, can't have people knowing that their ancestors went about enslaving a whole race, forcing them to work, and then being defeated by them, eh? The Elvs are part of society in Hatcur; rare but common knowledge. The common explanation among the people is that they're simply another race. A race with quite a few flaws, but no different from a hatcuri.

Do you suppose a long lived and outright broken Hatcuri Wizard would have known it? Still, broken holds a double meaning: his memories are jumbled, insanity is status quo  and casting has become nigh impossible... Rolling a 1d6 where only only a critial success allows for sound reasoning seems "fun" flavored. Would that be appropriate? Also, he ought to be unable to fight on his own given his relatively advanced age, or isn't 800 crippling old even for the Hatcuri?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:11:10 am by Azthor »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8979 on: December 14, 2011, 11:51:26 pm »

I'm cool with it SC.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8980 on: December 14, 2011, 11:56:52 pm »

OK. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8981 on: December 15, 2011, 12:18:44 am »

... Where's you get that MOAB SC? :o

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: December 15, 2011, 12:22:17 am »

??? MOAB? Clarify. My search is only turning up Marketing Order Administration Branch and some city in Utah.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:25:00 am by SeriousConcentrate »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8983 on: December 15, 2011, 12:22:43 am »

Mother of all bombs.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8984 on: December 15, 2011, 12:40:25 am »

Do you suppose a long lived and outright broken Hatcuri Wizard would have known it? Still, broken holds a double meaning: his memories are jumbled, insanity is status quo  and casting has become nigh impossible... Rolling a 1d6 where only only a critial success allows for sound reasoning seems "fun" flavored. Would that be appropriate? Also, he ough to be unable to fight on his own given his relatively advanced age, or isn't 800 crippling old even for the Hatcuri?

Most hatcuri don't live that long. 1000 is their limit; most hatcuri live to 400-500.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 634