Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 286823 times)

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #8880 on: December 12, 2011, 04:09:28 pm »

Hello everyone, I've recently happened upon this thread through old and good link surfing madness and, in my love of all things dwarfy\elaborate, decided to give it a go. Although I've already covered the summary and a good deal of the wiki, as well as the latest tactical exploit, I need some advice regarding character creation and hoped that some good samaritan... Or machiavelic mastermind... Would clarify a few aspects of the ordeal:

1. Would it be safe to assume that the region southwest of the southern mountain chain in Elbreth is desertic?

2. Between a martially minded Mongol-esque Warlord-to-be and slightly insane and once powerful Wizard crippled both physically and mentally after magical backfire, which one feels more original? It is also of note that the later would only be a powerful magic user as far as his background goes, given that an important aspect of his more likely than not permanent "condition" is the total loss of casting ability. Summing it up, one is your typical Raider Leader with a hue of extra honor and the other a possible future Evil Chancellor. I reckon that the second, in spite of not really being a caster anymore, is unlikely to be approved, but I thought it was still worth mentioning due to his intended behavior being far more psychologically complex than the other's.

3. How deeply do the starting traits affect gameplay? Is it simply a "starting skill set" kind of choice or something that cannot be attained by any other means along the game, setting your path in stone?

Thanks to any who may help me and please do point out any errors, grammatical or otherwise, you may have noticed; English is not my native language and as such I try to use people's pointers in the web to pick up flaws in my writing (I do not really get much of an opportunity t use the language in my country).

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8881 on: December 12, 2011, 04:16:12 pm »

1. Possibly. We never did flesh that area out.

3. It's not setting your path in stone with the traits per say. That's what your character's personality is.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8882 on: December 12, 2011, 04:27:55 pm »

I'm back as usual, after a long weekend.

@NUKE: oh no you didn't! You just stole an assassin from me? I'm going to tear down that embassy of yours :p

I was thinking, since I wasn't provided with any starting money or traits, could I retroactively benefit from a trait? What does that "Educated" trait do?

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8883 on: December 12, 2011, 04:32:38 pm »

1. Possibly. We never did flesh that area out.

3. It's not setting your path in stone with the traits per say. That's what your character's personality is.

Thank you, I actually guessed the area's climate based on the mountain chain blocking clouds from reaching inland, stll, the question was manly so that I coud find a relatively remote yet plausible area to use as origin. I suppose I ought to wait for a moderator regarding number 2?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8884 on: December 12, 2011, 04:37:41 pm »

Yeah, two is a bit outside my juristriction.

Anyway, it's always nice to see a fresh face in here ^^^
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8885 on: December 12, 2011, 04:41:09 pm »

Yeah, two is a bit outside my juristriction.

Anyway, it's always nice to see a fresh face in here ^^^

Much appreciated, although I've long since lurked around due to roguelike (any you can possbly point out) and DF addiction.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8886 on: December 12, 2011, 04:49:58 pm »

I don't know if things have changed much since the days of yore, but if they haven't then people probably have an aversion to anything magic-related.

If not, I say go for the magic one. Raider leaders are a dime a dozen, but evil chancellors are far less common.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8887 on: December 12, 2011, 05:23:58 pm »

I don't know if things have changed much since the days of yore, but if they haven't then people probably have an aversion to anything magic-related.

If not, I say go for the magic one. Raider leaders are a dime a dozen, but evil chancellors are far less common.

I concur with both of the points by you raised: while it did seem, from what I read, that any magic-related character would be awfully hard to attain approval for, his characterization seemed far more interesting than a an Orcish Warchief recycled as a Human Warlord. That aside, I outright skipped Knights, Priests, Rangers and Merchants, as it is very likely that the game is saturated with them (Classical roles). Regardless, it is still possible that I will convert the mage into a more scholar or roguish background if necessary. Thanks for throwing in your two cents.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:57:08 pm by Azthor »

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8888 on: December 12, 2011, 06:05:29 pm »

Azthor I believe you're referring to the Ztah steppes/plains/what have you. Its not really desert persay, but sort of a light grassland. At least thats how I recall it.

Its rather a distance from where we're playing, which is up by Ligoria, in the Storm Coast. Perhaps you'd like to pick something a bit closer to there.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8889 on: December 12, 2011, 06:22:56 pm »

I think the isolation is the reason he's playing all the way in Ztah. Course a Ztah warband/tribe/hoard could turn up in the Storm Coast...Like being captured by slavers?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8890 on: December 12, 2011, 06:24:33 pm »

Azthor I believe you're referring to the Ztah steppes/plains/what have you. Its not really desert persay, but sort of a light grassland. At least thats how I recall it.

Its rather a distance from where we're playing, which is up by Ligoria, in the Storm Coast. Perhaps you'd like to pick something a bit closer to there.

Close yet not quite, I had in mind south/west of that a the idea was to use a literally unnamed region to add a bit of a foreign style (that is, in case in case is allowed, of course). Alas now that you mention it, using the steppes as an origin would be reminiscent of the Mongol Hordes, which is also mighty fine for a Warlord. All the same, I'd inevitably start out closer to whenever you are, something which you've already helped me with as I didn't have much of an idea of which area was most populated by players.

I think the isolation is the reason he's playing all the way in Ztah. Course a Ztah warband/tribe/hoard could turn up in the Storm Coast...Like being captured by slavers?

Good ideas and fitting should I wind up with the Warlord styled character, the other option'd also require a relatively uncharted location as he is supposed to be unknown in Elbreth and having been a powerful magic-user in a low-fantasy setting would inevitably result in considerable renown in spite of having been crippled to the point of uselessness. One is a military leader and the other is "social player", neither being known nor capable of using magic, although the later'd have quite a load of knowledge regarding the topic.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:32:40 pm by Azthor »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8891 on: December 12, 2011, 07:06:05 pm »

How about you be a Warlord- Chancellor from The Green Empire, that place hasn't been fleshed out and is conveniently close to the Storm Coast.

Or you could go off on a tangent and start in the Ztah plains, and then goto war with Lonemine, who might have ravaged your lands in the past...

Also: Elberth doesn't exit anymore, its been chopped up by Lonemine, Brighthall, Preston, and Weyland.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:07:53 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8892 on: December 12, 2011, 07:53:12 pm »

How about you be a Warlord- Chancellor from The Green Empire, that place hasn't been fleshed out and is conveniently close to the Storm Coast.

Or you could go off on a tangent and start in the Ztah plains, and then goto war with Lonemine, who might have ravaged your lands in the past...

Also: Elberth doesn't exit anymore, its been chopped up by Lonemine, Brighthall, Preston, and Weyland.

Much as I like the idea, how could I go about it? For instance, there are no visible settlemens on Ztah, although they do, of course, exist (according to what I've read any landspots assumed to exist yet not visible are, for all purposes, impossible to interact with)... That means It'd be and whatever I choose to start with spendng my 3 ducats vs Lonemine, wouldn't that be suicidal?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8893 on: December 12, 2011, 07:58:08 pm »

Extremely. Which is why you should unite the tribes Ghengis Khan style.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8894 on: December 12, 2011, 07:59:18 pm »

Extremely. Which is why you should unite the tribes Ghengis Khan style.

That is half the awesomeness of it, the main problem is defining the tribes, which currently do not exist for playing purposes. And yes, I've been thinking of the Mongol Hordes right off from the start.
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 634