Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 287943 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #8055 on: December 01, 2011, 07:11:10 pm »

Problem with that is the city is walled, and what gates there are are manned by the guards. Would need a smuggler to get a message past the guards. And I don't think an underground mail service would be profitable...
So the guards are going to search every single person who enters or leaves the city?
Not to mention the docks. Are the docks walled in as well? Are the guards going to search every single ship? Are you going to end all smuggling in this city with no contraband laws just so that you can search the mail?

Look.
There is no feasible way that a renaissance city can search all mail. You need to know who will be sending suspicious letters, then intercept their messengers specifically. That is how people did it, back in the day.
You cannot just lay down your net and hope for suspicious letters to just land in it automagically.
Long Live United Forenia!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: December 01, 2011, 07:12:20 pm »

It would not be really that hard to create postal system in Ligoria. The point is that there is little need or demand for it: we aren't a political or economic powerhouse (yet) and we have but one big city.
Look up the "cursus publicus" used by romans and the postal systems prior to 19th century, it should give you an idea of how to organize it.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: December 01, 2011, 07:13:42 pm »

How is Talama still alive, if everybody is searched that comes in, wouldn't that cause massive traffic problems and require guards on the gate every second?
Its a huge city apparently, so people coming and going would be common and no one likes to get touched constantly by an illiterate idiot.

So the guard search every inch of the person's body, clothing and personal possessions? They don't get a brief pat-down? You can really feel a piece of paper during a pat-down. Especially if it's strapped to some one's leg.
So even if guards searched everybody with precision, they still wouldn't be able to find everything if the person who sent the herald, or the herald was suitably clever.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: December 01, 2011, 07:14:04 pm »

The docks aren't walled in with the rest of the city. It happens to be at the base of the cliffs thaat the city is on.

And to be fair, it could mean that he would start intercepting messengers from the bleeding scales :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: December 01, 2011, 07:16:03 pm »

What if they're messenger birds?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: December 01, 2011, 07:17:12 pm »

Guards start shooting any bird they see :P

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: December 01, 2011, 07:18:59 pm »

Talama should have hundreds of pigeons. Can't search/shoot em all.

Guards start shooting any bird they see :P
That's using OOC info. Like any illiterate guard grunt will think of pigeons carrying info.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: December 01, 2011, 07:22:10 pm »

Hey, free food for the masses  ;D

And they get ordered to shoot any free birds on sight (Not caged, though that's a good idea, caged messenger birds XD)

Of course, we could make a royal postal agency and search everyone else :P

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: December 01, 2011, 07:24:55 pm »

And they get ordered to shoot any free birds on sight
Okay, so the guard is going to shoot every bird they see.
Do you know how many arrows/bolts that would waste a day? Easily in the hundreds.
And I technically don't think most of them would do it, becuase it's a waste of time and effort.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: December 01, 2011, 07:26:00 pm »

Guys, stop with that. You are doing it again. Taricus, you are out of the capital, let leone worry about the mail and whatnot.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:29:37 pm by Ardas »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: December 01, 2011, 07:27:22 pm »

Guys, stop with that. You are doing it again.
Sorry, sir.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: December 01, 2011, 07:28:19 pm »

Alright, alright. Sorry to everyone...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: December 01, 2011, 07:28:30 pm »

Guys, stop with that. You are doing it again. Taricus, you are out of the cpaital, let leone worry about the mail and whatnot.
This.

Let leone/CG deal with what Avitus does and the effects thereof. Just no searching of all mail forever.
Long Live United Forenia!

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: December 01, 2011, 07:47:09 pm »

How about we leave it at "Stupid idea" and everyone drops it? It's not happening, DUAL executive veto. Stop trying to justify something that can't happen in any logical fashion

Tari, stop baiting the easily annoyed!

Nuke, given the information i've been PM'ing around about the gangs are you content with your action?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:34:11 pm by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: December 02, 2011, 02:49:40 am »

Okay now I'm pissed. Filius can burn and pillage an entire city with something like ten men, and you don't see anything irrational in that. But when I come up with something that IS actually plausible, and WAS made in most capital cities throughout Europe during the Renaissance, I get a veto from the gms and people start using OOC knowledge to all justify their not getting caught (suddenly William is writing everything in Northlandish, which I don't remember being ever the case, and of course nobody in the Storm Coast ever tried to learn the Hacturi language so one of the most literate men in the region cannot read Rectyl's letters.

And I'll explain how this work: of course there is no point in searching everyone, but messengers are easy to spot for a trained spy or guard: they are in a hurry and come back and forth without staying too long in the city.
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 634