Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 288359 times)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #6690 on: November 11, 2011, 06:57:15 pm »

He fails to take into account the culture and nature of the storm coast.

How? He took control of a castle by bloodshed, isn't that how Laythe gained hers?
He intimidated some nobles, which Laythe also ordered by sending out a letter that pretty much says join us or we beat the crap out of you.

Well yeah, William is a thug but what situation has come up where William can display intelligence instead of brutality?
Pretty words instead of Bestial Cleverness?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: November 11, 2011, 07:00:51 pm »

SC: If Tristan has a complaint about Ligora's state of laws, take it up with the queen, and just be brutally honest with her...
........Explaining myself one last time, and then I'm dropping it. OOC: I'm bored. My character, had he remained as originally intended, would have nothing to do. He would sit around and get maybe one action a year. Not interesting to me in the slightest. Therefore, I'm doing whatever I feel like to make it interesting enough for me to continue. IC: Laythe is a psychopath, hence her nickname, and the best course of action for all neighboring countries would be to kill her and put someone saner on the throne. Therefore Tristan is doing what any intelligent man would and attempting to do just that.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: November 11, 2011, 07:26:10 pm »

Well yeah, William is a thug but what situation has come up where William can display intelligence instead of brutality?
Pretty words instead of Bestial Cleverness?

That's my point. There hasn't been one of those situations, so we only see one facet of his character.

And about Tristan, I really can't argue with the 'this character is boring' point. I hate it when that happens, because the two things you can do are either stray out of character or kill him off. If I could throw in an idea, it might just be for the best to ret-con him into a more violently pragmatic person to justify his previous actions and then let everything just keep running its course.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: November 11, 2011, 07:29:02 pm »

SC: If Tristan has a complaint about Ligora's state of laws, take it up with the queen, and just be brutally honest with her...
........Explaining myself one last time, and then I'm dropping it. OOC: I'm bored. My character, had he remained as originally intended, would have nothing to do. He would sit around and get maybe one action a year. Not interesting to me in the slightest. Therefore, I'm doing whatever I feel like to make it interesting enough for me to continue. IC: Laythe is a psychopath, hence her nickname, and the best course of action for all neighboring countries would be to kill her and put someone saner on the throne. Therefore Tristan is doing what any intelligent man would and attempting to do just that.
I don't mind you trying to off her, it's just the method doesn't suit Tristan. The marcenary thing doesn't need much work, it's the fact he's trying to side WITH the DE rather than any of the powers in the storm coast.

EDIT: Ret-con works too.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: November 11, 2011, 07:30:56 pm »

Taricus, you're missing the point. I don't care who hires my regiment. I just mentioned the Arctic Fox because - considering I'm heading in his general direction - I might run into him so it would be a good idea to state ahead of time what my plan would be if that happens.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: November 11, 2011, 07:33:06 pm »

Ah, alright. Guess that has everything sorted then?

Though I would prefer Tristan to go into NPCship if you're getting bored with his, if only due to the fact that he's also the diplomat to Ligoria...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: November 11, 2011, 07:34:44 pm »

Taricus, how do you know how some one's character operates, if you didn't write them?
For all we know Tristan could have been a serial killer, or a spy, or a corrupt law man.
Whats on the outside often doesn't reflect whats on the inside.
For instance, Hugo is a handsome artist who likes beauty, yet he wants to burn down Talama and rebuild it all nice and shiny. Regardless of who gets hurt in the process.

Stop trying to control SC's actions.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:36:18 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: November 11, 2011, 07:36:43 pm »

Well, he could PM a basic characterization to the GMs, but I do agree it would be sub-optimal...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: November 11, 2011, 07:37:41 pm »

Thank you, Filius. That's kind of what I've been trying to say without being so blunt about it... "A man may smile, yet be a villain." Or until I lay out an exact, down to the hour history for him, no one really knows who Tristan was other than that he somehow became a palace guard in Dalannor. Maybe it was talent, maybe it was blackmail, maybe he's a con artist who happens to look like a man he murdered...

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: November 11, 2011, 07:39:24 pm »

Taricus, how do you know how some one's character operates, if you didn't write them?
For all we know Tristan could have been a serial killer, or a spy, or a corrupt law man.

Wait, is the stuff on the wiki just the face the character puts forth? I thought that the player's descriptions there were considered canon.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: November 11, 2011, 07:41:19 pm »

Wait for either nuke or CG to come online for that.

Thank you, Filius. That's kind of what I've been trying to say without being so blunt about it.
Ah, sorry about that then.  :-[

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: November 11, 2011, 07:45:12 pm »

Filius: could you stop constantly flaming? Or are you still getting over your being banned? Do what you will in IC and pleaaaase stop flooding the OOC thread with your empty ramblings.

And about Tristan, the problem is character psychology is supposed to be visible by anyone, you know, we are all aware that Tala is a spy and such... It's to avoid sudden incoherent changes in your goals or your allegiance.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: November 11, 2011, 07:46:07 pm »

I will be quite inactive during this week-end. Too busy playing Skyrim to plot against people.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: November 11, 2011, 07:46:20 pm »

The wiki seems to be largely optional since a lot of players don't even have their characters up there. You'll also note that it's rather vague about a lot of his life. It only nails down two years in his life that something happened: when he was 21 he joined the palace guard, when he was 25 he got shipped to Ligoria. No mention of how he impressed the nobles. No mention that he ever actually left, or reached Ligoria alive. I sort of like the idea that this guy I'm playing is actually an incredibly skilled con artist; after all, the last time Tristan saw anyone of the watch on a regular basis was before he joined the palace guard, years ago, and that doesn't necessarily mean that in such a large place as Dalannor he's ever ran into the fifty comprising his unit. Yes, he's flirted with Aimee; no mention of when. It could've been on the boat. ^^^

@ninja Leone: Problem there is I had no goals. So I got some. Now there's apparently problems. >.>

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: November 11, 2011, 07:50:16 pm »

Then just "officially" write it down in yor bio. Just the fact that you are saying this is good enough, as long as people know what's going on its alright. And I like the idea of the con artist a lot actually!
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 634