Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289481 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #3465 on: September 26, 2011, 03:30:36 pm »

With precisely the right conditions (some serious plagues, a significant change in scholarly thought, destabilisation of a major power, rapid dissemination of a technology that would allow for sudden and swift exchange of ideas such as movable type and several large-scale but not continent-scale wars) you can move straight from the 12th Century to the early 19th/18th Century in technology within 100 years.  It's feasible, you just need to get everything right.

So if you wanted to get from Elbreth's Dark Ages to Renaissance tech quickly, you could have the Black Death hit the entire Storm Gulf, killing 30% of the population and rapidly destabilising most power structures.  With the weakening of existing parochial authorities, heretical sects (the equivalents of Lutherans) spring up and use a new invention, the movable type printing press, to disseminate their views and spread other designs and ideas rapidly across the Gulf.  Dozens of tiny wars spring up over land rights, leading to a very experience military engineer class that tends to move around wherever there is money, taking their designs with them (and probably a professional soldier class along similar lines).  Amidst all of this, smaller trade companies destabilise the SCTG and break its stranglehold - the Guild collapses, throwing everything into chaos and leading to even worse war.

It takes about 100 years to balance out, by which time military technology in its various forms has advanced significantly and there have been some pretty sweeping social reforms as well in response to the violence.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: September 26, 2011, 03:33:50 pm »

Just wondering: if we did the timeskip, who would like renaissance technology, and who would want to stay medieval?

I'd go medieval.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: September 26, 2011, 03:34:47 pm »

Definitely Medieval.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: September 26, 2011, 03:47:52 pm »

"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: September 26, 2011, 03:50:23 pm »

renaisance here
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: September 26, 2011, 04:14:55 pm »

Renaissance. Or High Medieval.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: September 26, 2011, 04:16:00 pm »

And high medieval is supposed to mean what exactly?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: September 26, 2011, 04:17:38 pm »

Just wondering: if we did the timeskip, who would like renaissance technology, and who would want to stay medieval?

I'd go medieval.
When you say 'medieval', what do you mean?
I assume you mean you want a world where the idea that 'progress' is a thing doesn't exist, because for all the inventions and cultural shifts, that is really the only thing that truly defines the difference between the middle ages and the renaissance: the renaissance people believed they could do better than they were currently doing; the idea did not occur to people in the middle ages (well, on a personal level, obviously, but I mean as a society)

By this game's very nature of events happening very quickly (historically speaking), and huge changes being made to the way the world works (gunpowder invented, nations born/destroyed), seems to me you are already in the renaissance, albeit only the start. What harm would it do to let those so inclined utilise shitty little muskets and rickety printing presses? Barring an excuse to have the world change rapidly, the early renaissance was barely different to the late middle ages which you appear to be using now.

I'm not sure what technology level you are on, but I see no harm in advancing it to the point where advancing it further is a plausible goal for an individual to have (and doesn't have to be motivated by a metagaming desire for PEW PEW GUNSTICKS). If there are specific technologies/ideologies that are particularly distasteful, leave them out.

In conclusion, BLUH BLUH HUGE RAMBLE. Renaissance, however you define it.
Long Live United Forenia!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: September 26, 2011, 04:21:04 pm »

Technology is moving, progress is happening, machinery is being used more often and the secrets of certain materials and chemicals are starting to be used. In other words, gunpowder would be available but extremely hard and foolish to use. Unless this was a more oriental setting where it was being used somewhere in the first millenium.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #3474 on: September 26, 2011, 04:22:32 pm »

Technology is moving, progress is happening, machinery is being used more often and the secrets of certain materials and chemicals are starting to be used. In other words, gunpowder would be available but extremely hard and foolish to use. Unless this was a more oriental setting where it was being used somewhere in the first millenium.

Iitu is not Earth.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: September 26, 2011, 04:23:15 pm »

I know, just using it as an example of how technology can differ from place to place.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind what I said about high medieval, after some research, its exactly the same as Elbreth technology. If I'm correct in that Elbreth has 12th century technology.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:26:23 pm by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: September 26, 2011, 04:24:56 pm »

Playing at the start of the high medieval era sounds fine. Considering knights get powerful then (We haven't had an Agincourt or Crecy happen yet.)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: September 26, 2011, 04:27:30 pm »

Nevermind about what I said. It's exactly the same as what most people think of the medieval period. EXACTLY.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: September 26, 2011, 04:51:01 pm »

To make it simple to you guys, there is no clear-cut separation between the medieval and reneissance. it was all a blur and evolution rather than radical change. Think Empire from Warhammer Fantasy.
Reneissance would be Empire: you got your knights and wizards, but you also got the beginings of proper science, gunpowder, more loose social structure (for its time) and so on. you also got them funky clothes and the climate overall feels niecly put together and balanced.

Obviously warhammer is an exaggaration and its a fantasy , but so is our world, and for the purpose of demonstration thats how it looks. If you are not familiar with Warhammer then its not my fault.

E: my edits are mostly typo fixing. You won't believe how hard is to keep track of your own mistakes.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:59:31 pm by Ardas »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: September 26, 2011, 04:52:15 pm »

I'd half fine with the reneissance if it weren't for the clothes :P
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 634