Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289680 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #3210 on: September 20, 2011, 01:24:45 am »

Oh well, I guess I will have to wait. Just make sure it's good.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #3211 on: September 20, 2011, 01:25:23 am »

Do you think Iituem would mind if I ran a game somewhat based on You are King? It wouldn't be a copy of the game, actually it would deal with the history of the world after a few hundred years of advancement. You may be wondering why I just don't use my own setting, well I just love the game setting too much already.

Course I don't even plan to run it for a very long time. I'm just asking in advance.

But history would constantly be changing in said world.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: September 20, 2011, 01:28:09 am »

Well I could wait for this game to finish up, or I can make an alternate universe. Or I could be really vague about certain parts of the world's history.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: September 20, 2011, 01:37:11 am »

Well I could wait for this game to finish up, or I can make an alternate universe. Or I could be really vague about certain parts of the world's history.

I'll be an archaeologist ;D

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: September 20, 2011, 01:50:54 am »

Err....TIME-CHANGING ALIEN SPACE BATS  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:55:01 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: September 20, 2011, 01:52:21 am »

"Wow! The ancient ruins of a city... Strange... The stone used in buildings in the city seems to be amazingly flammable! Me must analyse it, and work out just why these primitive humans built their city from it..."
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: September 20, 2011, 07:03:06 am »

A little tidbit towards King of Weasels: While I'm not that great at figuring out maths on CG's level, I do know my chemistry and can tell you that medieval gunpowder could not be used to make TNT or any high explosive for that matter.

What you can do is to refine it: make into granulate, try grinding it up into fine powder, all manner of adjustments to the components and the actual way of burning it and storing it.
Mind you, these things took a lot of time to figure out and despite their triviality, they actually do matter and improve the powder. for example, granulate is used in handguns because of the ease of storage ansd measuring, while fine powder is used in cannons and has better characteristics because of greater surface area of the material. also, the actual chemical composition also matters and some powders may have less or more sulphur or charcoal, depending on the actual use.

I don't want to discourage you though, I just want the game to progress evenly. We can't go from firecrakers to plastic explosive in span of couple of years.

Ok, now that my tirade is over, I think most of the things are sorted, although most of us are probably busy with work/education. Not to worry though, trade discussion is over for now (hopefully) so things will pick up again and I will do some actions as well. They will be most likely tade so CG, you might have something to do. I'm just waiting till summer though, for better wool prices in the capital.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: September 20, 2011, 07:26:10 am »

A little tidbit towards King of Weasels: While I'm not that great at figuring out maths on CG's level, I do know my chemistry and can tell you that medieval gunpowder could not be used to make TNT or any high explosive for that matter.

What you can do is to refine it: make into granulate, try grinding it up into fine powder, all manner of adjustments to the components and the actual way of burning it and storing it.
Mind you, these things took a lot of time to figure out and despite their triviality, they actually do matter and improve the powder. for example, granulate is used in handguns because of the ease of storage ansd measuring, while fine powder is used in cannons and has better characteristics because of greater surface area of the material. also, the actual chemical composition also matters and some powders may have less or more sulphur or charcoal, depending on the actual use.

I don't want to discourage you though, I just want the game to progress evenly. We can't go from firecrakers to plastic explosive in span of couple of years.

Ok, now that my tirade is over, I think most of the things are sorted, although most of us are probably busy with work/education. Not to worry though, trade discussion is over for now (hopefully) so things will pick up again and I will do some actions as well. They will be most likely tade so CG, you might have something to do. I'm just waiting till summer though, for better wool prices in the capital.

You do know I have killed numerous people with one explosion right?

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: September 20, 2011, 07:52:42 am »

So? One gunpowder explosion does not change the rules of chemistry. And please do not be belligerent; for some reason everyone takes my points as hostile critique all the time.

Yes, its possible to kill some people with one explosion: thats how grenades work, even the black-powder ones. Its simply the fact that the actual TNT and the rest of HE does not have any chemical similarity to black powder and thus one cannot make TNT out of gunpowder, depsite what Minecraft may have told you.

As per actual explosions: black powder does not explode, but combusts rapidly, emitting a lot of gas. When packed tightly together in a closed container (a barrel of a gun, a greande, etc.), the gas creates a lot of internal pressure that tears the container apart, thus giving you the explosion (or pushing the bullet out of the barrel). The container itself then turns into a shrapnel and adds to the effect.

Again, please do not treat ths as a hostile critique, but simply as my desire for accuracy and balance in game. We haven't even made one measley bombard or arquebus, tryingto create TNT at this point just breaks the game for me. Mind you, we are still mostly at the plate-and-sword stage, so lets be historical about this, for sake of balance and progression.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: September 20, 2011, 08:02:15 am »

So? One gunpowder explosion does not change the rules of chemistry. And please do not be belligerent; for some reason everyone takes my points as hostile critique all the time.

Yes, its possible to kill some people with one explosion: thats how grenades work, even the black-powder ones. Its simply the fact that the actual TNT and the rest of HE does not have any chemical similarity to black powder and thus one cannot make TNT out of gunpowder, depsite what Minecraft may have told you.

As per actual explosions: black powder does not explode, but combusts rapidly, emitting a lot of gas. When packed tightly together in a closed container (a barrel of a gun, a greande, etc.), the gas creates a lot of internal pressure that tears the container apart, thus giving you the explosion (or pushing the bullet out of the barrel). The container itself then turns into a shrapnel and adds to the effect.

Again, please do not treat ths as a hostile critique, but simply as my desire for accuracy and balance in game. We haven't even made one measley bombard or arquebus, tryingto create TNT at this point just breaks the game for me. Mind you, we are still mostly at the plate-and-sword stage, so lets be historical about this, for sake of balance and progression.

I don't even know what I'm talking about, I just needed something for my guy to do.  Also I misunderstood tnt, I was thinking more of paper packaging for transport and for setting up charges, I didn't realize it was a different type of chemical.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: September 20, 2011, 08:12:16 am »

That actually sounds like something reasonable. Yeah, your dude should work on methods of safe use and transport, that way powder becomes a viable tool and weapon.
Later on, if you find a good patron and investor, someone may be interested in forging some artilery pieces and use them...

Deamonpies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: September 20, 2011, 03:38:20 pm »

Well crap, I read the whole 187 pages in one day.

And damm it was a good read.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: September 20, 2011, 03:45:51 pm »

My favorite points are anything with Trubaldsome, and anything where I do something crazy.
But I'm biased.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: September 20, 2011, 07:45:43 pm »

Hey Ardas, where is mister Hans staying right now anyway?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: September 20, 2011, 10:07:06 pm »

Hey Ardas, where is mister Hans staying right now anyway?
It can be assumed Erik granted him quarters, unless he insisted on paying for his own lodgings somewhere in the city or something. Erik did ask him to stick around, after all.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 634