Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289126 times)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #1830 on: August 24, 2011, 06:50:15 pm »

So depending on the level of favor with the King, Kain now has, what is the likelyhood of him being able to romance Kara and later marry her, without the King brutally massacring him?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: August 24, 2011, 06:53:02 pm »

Kain is of a magically long-lived race. Erik might consider him a friend, but he's far too prejudiced against anything magic to allow his little sister to be involved with the likes of you.

Go for it anyways though.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: August 24, 2011, 06:54:11 pm »

Little from looks its about a thousand US.

Also is there a spot up for a new character?
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: August 24, 2011, 06:55:18 pm »

How much is a ducat compared to in value to real money?

Deliberately indeterminate.  Partly because trying to impose an idea of "today's money" on a medieval economy just fails.  The value of labour is entirely different, production, supply and demand are different...

The way I mentally have it is; a ducat is enough money to pay 100 spearmen in padded armour, 30 lightly armoured men with maces, 12 men in medium armour with flails or shortswords, or six men in platemail with claymores for a year.  It is enough to pay wages for a basic infantry regiment.  That is my base medium of exchange and the fiat value of a ducat.

As ever, make an application and I or one of the Kings will accept it if it's not horribly unbalanced.

Edit:  But... bearing in mind that the idea of a standing army isn't quite accurate in this setting - regiments typically are somewhere between peasant levies and professional armies right now.  They can be considered to be paid a low retainer and then higher amounts in times of active service, but the amount averages out to their wage/year (or it could be considered the value of the land portions/year given to knights in response for their raising levies - it's deliberately vague).  If we took the average wage of an urban labourer in 1300 to be our base (~£1.5/yr, perhaps), multiply that by 30 and we get a figure in the region of £45.  That's actually pretty damn hefty, considering a mail hauberk fetches something in the region of £5.  Then again, that does match up to our ideal of it costing ten times that amount for a small squad of medium armoured men, so maybe it matches after all.

The specific economics don't matter too much as a direct historical map - only the relative economics.  If you can pay the wages of thirty urban labourers for a year with it, or retain and periodically hire for up to 30-90 days of service a force of 1 regiment's strength, it's a ducat.  But again, these are deliberately nebulous figures.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:06:10 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: August 24, 2011, 06:59:23 pm »

Little from looks its about a thousand US.

Also is there a spot up for a new character?
I think the manskinner was looking for somebody to play an assistant... the Manskinner is currently in the process of uniting the Weylands which is a barbaric place where half the clans are at war with each other and have names like McKinley, McJhonston, so Celtic England/Germany or moving forwards in time Scotland about 400-600 years ago.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: August 24, 2011, 07:02:30 pm »

Kain is of a magically long-lived Family Line. Erik might consider him a friend, but he's far too prejudiced against anything magic to allow his little sister to be involved with the likes of you.

Elves have been retconned or never existed. Kain is just from long-lived family, now.

How does Erik know that Kain is magically long-lived? His father could have just been old when he was born. He looks only about twenty.

And Iituem, if Kain studied the Anatomy charts would he reiceive the bonus to combat and torture?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:06:13 pm by filiusenox »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: August 24, 2011, 07:03:21 pm »

I was just checking i'll most likely post a character on friday.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: August 24, 2011, 07:07:05 pm »

Kain is of a magically long-lived Family Line. Erik might consider him a friend, but he's far too prejudiced against anything magic to allow his little sister to be involved with the likes of you.

Elves have been retconned or never existed. Kain is just from long-lived family, now.

How does Erik know that Kain is magically long-lived? His father could have just been old when he was born. He looks only about twenty.

And Iituem, if Kain studied the Anatomy charts would he reiceive the bonus to combat and torture?
Ah, I thought he still had the tell-tale long ears.
If that's the case, Kain's only real obstacle is that he's creepy. Which isn't much of an obstacle.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: August 24, 2011, 07:07:26 pm »

He'd have to complete his own anatomy skill quest.  The skill bonus to Mahtan was a bonus for researching an otherwise 'pure' technology.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: August 24, 2011, 07:10:37 pm »

He'd have to complete his own anatomy skill quest.  The skill bonus to Mahtan was a bonus for researching an otherwise 'pure' technology.
Speaking of...some kind of "Teaching" mechanic might be useful. Perhaps as an aside to specific projects?

For example, Kain could approach Mahtan to ask him to help explain the anatomy charts as a teacher. If Mahtan accepts, he rolls to see how well he teaches and the result adds a +1 or +2 to Kain's next roll. A critical failure is a -2 and an overshoot a -1

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: August 24, 2011, 07:11:37 pm »

Do I have a list of towns from Vasir to Preston and their production? These seemed to be known lands.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: August 24, 2011, 07:22:09 pm »

Check the wiki info on the cities

I'm looking over some math currently to try and 'automate' my trade and have it be fair yet. Micro managing a fleet of 10 or so cargo ships is a little overkill
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: August 24, 2011, 07:24:05 pm »

..I agree DH. You must post your side of the tale, that me and the King can move forward. I suppose we could move forwards anyway but it wouldn't be the same! I'm plotting to wrangle a diplomatic mission to Brighthall, which might change if the King needs me for some other task, based on your rambling lies.

Anywho. Good stuff all told. Slow day today but they cant all be fast. Knock em dead at that play Iituem.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: August 24, 2011, 07:25:35 pm »

Anywho. Good stuff all told. Slow day today but they cant all be fast. Knock em dead at that play Iituem.

Good luck Iituem.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: August 24, 2011, 07:27:13 pm »

Yeah man, break a leg.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 634