Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289124 times)

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #1815 on: August 24, 2011, 04:29:40 pm »

Ashton, just checking: Meng didn't bring his pets inside, did he? I'm assuming he didn't, but I'm not sure.
If you want to refer to them go for it, whether or not they're inside is of little consequence, unless its for show and tell I 'spose, you can decide as it wasn't mentioned
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: August 24, 2011, 04:32:13 pm »

I think I'll just assume they're outside, as if they came in with him it would've affected Trubaldsome's reaction a bit. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: August 24, 2011, 04:54:04 pm »

I think we're all a little overreacting to the 'courtship mechanic' thing.  I deliberately emphasised that as a joke - I'll just do it with RtD rolls the same way I did Drua seducing Chicane.

There's no need to get into bad blood OOC over this or any other matter.  Remember that good sportsmanship is the key to playing well in any game of any kind.  We're all friends here, even if we disagree.

Also, I worked this out.  If Erik dies and Kara is married, her husband's player becomes Prince Consort and she becomes King.  From a mechanical viewpoint, that player would become King - so it would be a legitimate way of gaining succession.

If Erik has a young heir and dies, then a Regent would be appointed (or a Regency Council if nobody could agree on one) - assuming open civil war didn't just break out.  This would remain so until the heir reached 15 years of age, at which point the GM would either appoint a player to take his role (likely not thatkid because you can't be your own heirs) or whoever entered into a marriage with the son would become Queen and effectively King.

Will the game last 15 years?  Maybe.  Seasons will go faster during times of peace and stability - i.e. when there are less actions.

Ovencherry, I'll let you play in my game if you let me play in yours.  And since I am playing in yours... just submit a character whenever.

I have no idea what culture I'm going to give Swastamik and the associated region yet.  The Storm Coast is our Italy/Hanseatic League homologue, the Mirish Coast is flicking between Britain and Middle Europe and the Ztah Steppe and its associated inland regions are homologues of Eastern Europe/Russia.  Right now it's a toss up between Iberian or Turkish.  Maybe something entirely different.

NB:  They won't be exact homologues, any region in my settings never are.  I've spent years worldbuilding - I don't like to throw cultural aspects in that don't make sense.  On the other hand, I'm not going to spend the time building these places that I would for a D&D campaign or a book.  In the cases of most provinces and nations, I'll write a few lines to sum up elements of the culture and let players fill in the details on the Wiki.

[Bathtime!  I'll think about posts and such afterwards.]

Edit:  Oh, and for those who were wondering - I'm probably thinking something like a mix of Central American, Malinese and Ming for the Hatcuri.  We'll see when we meet them some day in the far future.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:56:03 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1818 on: August 24, 2011, 04:58:54 pm »

I'm kinda leaning towards a if stuff really really settles down, we could skip 5 or 10 years just so it makes more sense then something big happening every single moment of all of our lives.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: August 24, 2011, 05:03:39 pm »

Well, politically I'm mostly waiting for the Miring situation to reach if not resolution then a point where I can judge the intentions of players enough before I move us into Summer.  This is essentially my guiding point - if not too much is happening, then I'll skip seasons more quickly.  When things get like that, the merchant players will probably just want to do a list of intended trading actions for the season so they can be rolled at speed - at least until they hit a storm or unfortunate circumstance.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: August 24, 2011, 05:04:39 pm »

For anyone curious and if we are going by the types set out by Iituem (plus my History from uni), the closest that we could do with Elbreth probably be something similar to GermanyCentral Europe, with the steppes and Raiders coming from the East and Balkans. We have a little Scottish thing going on there with the clans (i guess that's the British part that Iituem was reffering to) so this puts us in a slightly difficult situation.

For anything happening south either Spanish or Turkish or god knows what (Byzantine?) would be good.  Again and i think Iituem said it good, any homologues must be placed in a way that makes sense for them to exist.

As far as Elbreth is concerned though, I see as yet undentified Continental European culture.

E: I doubt that things are going to get quiet enough for us to skip things along. I am personally not a fan of such solution, unless things get REEALLY quiet. I don't want to see no Dragon Age 2 here with things jumping 3 years ahead after each turn.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:07:20 pm by Ardas »

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: August 24, 2011, 05:23:36 pm »

I also have some trade relations to iron out before the end of the season
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:26:38 pm by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: August 24, 2011, 05:33:14 pm »

Spoiler: Hanja von Kronstadt (click to show/hide)
((Feel free to change any detail in it. After all, I'm just to trade and write stories of new lands.))
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:45:58 pm by evilcherry »

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: August 24, 2011, 06:01:12 pm »

Does trubaldsome own all of miring, or does elbreth still hold some of it?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: August 24, 2011, 06:02:25 pm »

Elbrethian forces were brutally slaughtered to the man. They'll likely encroach upon the countryside as soon as I've finished my IC-meeting with Aulon and can begin making more war preparations, but for now Miring holds all of Miring.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: August 24, 2011, 06:08:35 pm »

Edit:  Oh, and for those who were wondering - I'm probably thinking something like a mix of Central American, Malinese and Ming for the Hatcuri.  We'll see when we meet them some day in the far future.

Exactly what I imagined them as when I thought them up, minus the Malinese though.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: August 24, 2011, 06:10:21 pm »

Miring is very, very technically independent.  Depending on how Aulon handles the situation, its most likely status is going to be a semi-independent protectorate of Elbreth, a Principality of Elbreth, a Duchy of Elbreth under Trubaldsome or a Duchy of Elbreth under whoever the King puts on Trubaldsome's even more bloodstained throne (who will have one hell of a public relations disaster on his hands).  If Aulon screws things up and Trubaldsome is incredibly lucky and finds some spring of incredible canniness in him, they could technically survive as an independent Kingdom.  This would require them to survive the entire next year against military incursions by Elbreth and also weaken Elbreth enough to limit their ability to do the same thing again the year after.

That would probably require them to make some sort of one-sided alliance, probably with a powerful neighbouring nation like Brighthall.  But again, deal with the devil territory, and Brighthall being Orthodox might not be the best of friends since they just declared religious independence from Suul.  On the other hand, Elbreth is full of Cyclicist Heretics, so that probably evens the odds.

Brighthall is a medium sized nation, but it's still a province or two bigger than Elbreth is and it has access to that most valuable of resources; High Quality Lumber.

(Does Korlan have large gold mines?  Actually... I don't know.  It does have large kyrite mines, and kyrite is roughly worth its weight in silver due to its military applications.  We'll find out by adventuring!)

And character accepted. 

You start with a bog-standard light ship in lieu of a personal guard.  You don't have much more than your saved wages yourself (essentially pocket change on the trading scale), [6] but your old captain was a Guildsman.  His membership will probably lapse soon, but provided you put his accounts back to zero by the end of the year the Guild won't chase you down and sink your ship.  The captain even had a particularly good standing with the guild; a ten ducat credit line.

The bad news?  After selling off the ship's cargo, he's still four ducats in debt.

(Edit:  My reasoning?  I'd rather start a character off with a ship or a credit scrip, but I liked your application enough to give you a plus/minus.  You get a guild scrip that's higher than usual but already significantly in debt and expires in a year, and you get a bog-standard ship.  Can't ask fairer than that.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:13:14 pm by Iituem »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: August 24, 2011, 06:15:57 pm »

Where (and when) do I start?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: August 24, 2011, 06:36:00 pm »

Technically I would love to start you on the eastern Storm Coast, but I don't even have names for most of those states yet (saving them for adventuring).  I'd say you can start in any of the named coastal states that have thus far cropped up in the game, and you may start immediately.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: August 24, 2011, 06:45:50 pm »

How much is a ducat compared to in value to real money?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 634