Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289077 times)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #1650 on: August 23, 2011, 02:24:35 pm »

Elberth isn't in the modern day and it has different geology then Earth. And people in Elberth aren't buying up tons of gold for its safety right now.
And Ardas, Elberth is rapidly expanding, we're going to annex miring, then suul, then the Eelspine.
We will eventully be a massive empire with the way we're going...
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1651 on: August 23, 2011, 02:27:29 pm »

Elbreth also doesn't have any gold mines, which means we'd have to import it, which means we'd have to pay for security, plus pay them for transporting a ton of materials. Do you need to know how much security you'd need to 1. Protect a ton of gold and 2. Not just steal the gold?  A lot.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: August 23, 2011, 02:28:26 pm »

A massive Empire? We got an insane knight, poweless king, 2 or 3 backstabbing nobles, a cultist, a burned countryside, pirates on the coast and a incompetent merchant (that's me.)
This is a cast for Spamalot, not a burgeoning kingdom.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: August 23, 2011, 02:29:39 pm »

I'd say were about a quarter of the size of Belgium.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: August 23, 2011, 02:35:37 pm »

Ahem...That's Miring...look to the west a bit and you'll see Elberth.
With its honorable King, strong general, mad war-preacher, several power hungry nobles with varying degree of competence, a cruel minister with a few adventurers doing various things, alliance with the northern kingdom of weyland, a town dedicated to iron mining and smelting, a alchemist who was the first to invent blackpowder, several powerful spies, and a bountiful but hilly land, and lets not forget control of Preston.
We'll eventually take Miring and Suul and then we'll have the entirity of the old Mirish Empire.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:40:21 pm by filiusenox »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: August 23, 2011, 02:41:54 pm »

I think he included miring in that. And the king isn't going to be so powerless (Or maybe he will) with my next character >=D
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: August 23, 2011, 02:43:39 pm »

Well, I think that there won't be an empire unless we start moving with the rolls. And that means Iituem has to be done with his play and thatkid must become a competent king again.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: August 23, 2011, 02:50:50 pm »

How isn't Eric a competent king?
I mean he's useless in battle but i'm pretty sure the peasents love him and he's a pretty-boy. That's really all a king needs. Most of the work is carried out by nobles and Ministers.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: August 23, 2011, 02:52:11 pm »

Weasel, don't forget that regiment upkeep is a ducat a year, which means that a ducat is a very very big amount of money. It is something that normal people can't even dream of. It is way above 17000 dollars.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: August 23, 2011, 03:28:42 pm »

A lot of Erik's incompetence stems from the fact that I want people to be able to play their character concepts and have fun, but that having a kingdom with an effective ruler goes against that.
If Erik were competent, a lot of the more interesting events of this game would never have happened simply because Erik would have crushed the perpetrators from the outset.

E: My big hope for Preston and Miring is that, once they've got Dukes/Kings, Erik can begin to govern Elbreth competently and the sort of people that Erik would never even think of hiring might be able to find work in the other duchies or even with the Manskinner clan. This is why I was pushing so hard for Terenos to become a duke earlier: He's got good intentions and Erik trusts him, but he's still willing to get his hands dirty with espionage.

Take Ichor, for example. Erik is honorable, and horribly averse to the use of magic. I haven't shown it much, because the events of Miring overshadow it, but he's still angsty about the spirit calling he made Locanil do. On top of that, he's not a fan of making liberal use of assassins anyways. Had we one or two dukes for him to go to as well, Ichor might have found more interesting work...
Because at the moment I'm still trying to figure out what sort of job to give him. (and really, what sort of tasks to give all the new spooks. Ludwig will likely become Erik's personal assassin, as he's court-friendly. The Mask seems to be good at making his own jobs, and so Erik might just continue to point him at a Kingdom and say "Get to!")

Anyways, I was thinking of how exactly Aulon and Trubaldsome can get out of this situation alive, and I think it's really quite doable.
If their original intent never actually was to attack crown forces, Erik is a reasonable enough person to listen to what Aulon has to say -- especially since he doesn't know yet that Aulon led the peasant mob. Our friend from the Storm Coast will likely not be in a good bargaining position, but he's not in the worst he could be.

People seem to wrongly assume Erik deals with everything by killing people. But...why would he do that with anyone of any use? It's true that Miring likely cannot be quelled without Trubaldsome's assistance, and it's true that Aulon would be incredibly useful in raising the economy.
Trubaldsome and Aulon will be punished somehow if the King has anything to say about it, because Erik certainly isn't going to just let this go, but it's entirely possible that if Aulon plays his cards right here this entire war could end without another drop of blood shed. Erik isn't some raving psychopath.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:45:15 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: August 23, 2011, 03:34:02 pm »

Your math if full of fail anyway. Current gold prices are not anywhere near the proportional value it had in the medieval time period we're using here. Gold was expensive, but proportional to the value of the workforce? Not -that- expensive
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: August 23, 2011, 03:34:28 pm »

Well, he doesn't have to be THAT competant, just enough that he'll make things a lot harder for people to pull off.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: August 23, 2011, 03:35:29 pm »

Weasel, don't forget that regiment upkeep is a ducat a year, which means that a ducat is a very very big amount of money. It is something that normal people can't even dream of. It is way above 17000 dollars.

I thought that was changed to times ten to make more sense, or has that not been enacted yet.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: August 23, 2011, 03:39:12 pm »

You're all also forgetting that a regiment isn't a set number of soldiers. Its by manpower, not count

a regiment of heavy cav may only be 20-30 men. And horses were a hell of a lot cheaper to maintain 700 years ago
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: August 23, 2011, 03:49:08 pm »

Wait, I first thought Cyber was talking to me, now I see he's talking to vagel.

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 634