Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289637 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #825 on: August 18, 2011, 01:45:47 pm »

You're right. Because Trubaldsome -was- authorized by the King he swore fealty to, to go to Miring, declare himself a king, and so forth.

Why I believe Grand Master Black had a letter that said otherwise. Hold Trubaldsome in Preston? Wait for the King?
Say whatever you like. I don't have to! It looks suspicious enough without needing to explain anything. Pray for the incompetance of your enemies. Always.

Why, I'll use longboats for messengers with Taricus and find out Trubaldsome stopped crown soldiers from performing their duty? That'll lead to my sacking his port.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 18, 2011, 01:46:26 pm »

Let's keep these brief...

Siege Rules

A walled fortification of any kind can be held as part of a siege.  Non-walled sites, even towns or markets, cannot be held unless they have some sort of fortification to besiege - defenders must either flee them or fight until there are none left or the foe is defeated.

A siege happens when an attacking force rather than attacking camps outside the area controlled by the fort and prevents transit in and out of the fort.  An attacking force of any size can attempt this.  If a fort has unrestricted access to a port (either because the port is not held by enemy troops or because the fort is situated in a port) then both land and sea must be blockaded for a siege to take effect.

Once a siege is underway, the defenders will slowly starve and deplete whatever rations are left in the fort.  Unless the fort has recently been besieged, forts start with a number of provisions equal to the fort size (i.e. 1 unit for Walls, 2 for Forts, 3 for Castles etc.).  Every regiment within a fort will consume one shipment of provisions per season.  If the defenders should end a season without sufficient provisions, they must either surrender or immediately attack the besieging forces (and try to flee).

Whilst besieged, defenders may upgrade regiments present in a fort but may not recruit new regiments there, although regiments can be recruited outside the fort if messengers can get through.  Getting a messenger out requires a successful Scouting check (that is, a Scout unit can be used to improve its chances and Scout units can be used to oppose it) that succeeds on a roll of 3 or better.  Unless allies exist outside who will pay for recruitment, messengers must also carry the Ducats used for recruitment with them - so capturing a messenger will put those Ducats in the hands of the captors.

Merchant adventurers can try to smuggle provisions into the fort from other provinces - any edible staple will do, and the market will pay full military+staple demand bonuses for it.  The defending government may also pay a bonus at their discretion.  Smuggling goods past a siege requires a successful smuggling check (as smuggling contraband), following the usual smuggling rules.  It is possible for merchants to try to bribe NPC officers in the besieging army to help as they would bribe customs officials.  Other than breaking the siege, this is the only way to bring fresh provisions into a besieged fort.

As things are, Castle Sleen will run out of provisions at the end of Spring, provided the port is successfully blockaded.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 18, 2011, 01:48:28 pm »

Did I ever hire that Engineer? Thatkid said i did...
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 18, 2011, 01:49:22 pm »

Did I ever hire that Engineer? Thatkid said i did...

Did you pay the ducats for it?  If so, yes.  There are also a couple of engineers sitting around in Preston right now, too.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #829 on: August 18, 2011, 01:51:19 pm »

Salright my man, I just like causing problems.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 18, 2011, 01:52:17 pm »

Yes, cause i'm apparently broke as a joke.

And how about making a ducat worth a bar of gold instead of silver?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #831 on: August 18, 2011, 01:53:01 pm »

Silver's less gaudy though.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 18, 2011, 02:14:13 pm »

Iituem said that she was an alchemist. I need an alchemist for greek fire and gunpowder.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 18, 2011, 02:25:26 pm »

Filius, any remaining engineers we've got after the war will be sent your way to join with the engineer you bought earlier (Who I think offered to set up a school for a ducat in one of Iituem's posts, but I'm not sure). I'm pretty keen on getting that fort built already.
Of course, this assumes the engineers we have left over from the war agree to stay...I don't think we actually hired any of them.

Preston did have catapults though, so we could maybe press-gang the engineers from those units into our service if they weren't killed.

The only alchemist who knows how to make gunpowder is Mahtan, and he's not around at the moment. Drua is more a herbalist, IIRC, and so you likely won't learn anything useful for greek fire. But it's still worth a shot?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 18, 2011, 02:29:58 pm »

Catapults reportedly cost no engineers..At least according to yon Wiki.
We -should- have at least one engineer after the war, potentially. *Shrug*
Greek fire is actually Stormfire here.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 18, 2011, 02:35:08 pm »

I mush find Mahtan then.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 18, 2011, 02:36:00 pm »

Yon Wiki isn't quite accurate, but that's because I need to fix the upgrades.  According to the wiki, catapults cost no engineer but mere siege towers (the base siege unit) do.  I'll probably change that so upgrades require the engineer but the basic siege tower does not.

Preston's engineers escaped with their siege units.  I haven't forgotten about them.

I need to edit the rules regarding engineers - You can set up a training school with 3 engineers that will produce 1 engineer/year thereafter.  Otherwise, engineers cost 2 ducats to hire in times of peace and 3 if you need them on short notice/in times of war.

Technically the two engineers in Preston are loyal to Miring, but they aren't within the current theatre of engagements for Miring's present crisis.

If there are no major objections, I will run the Suul fight tonight and advance us into Spring (since Terenos & Taric appear to be going for a protracted siege).

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 18, 2011, 02:40:12 pm »

Can't be the plan anymore, actually.
I have to move immediately to sack the port at miring? Why? CAuse I cant afford mine and manning's upkeep. And that puts us at a disadvantage.

Thusly the new plan is sack the port immediately, thus preventing Trubaldsome from having the funds for his OWN upkeep.
I should probably edit that into my turn.
Further editing: Unless by merely sailing down there...No, no im sacking it. Roll -that- in your calcs Iituem. Im updating my move to reflect this.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:45:38 pm by Terenos »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 18, 2011, 02:47:41 pm »

What does the preston navy consist of? I'm trying to keep my army list-thing up to date here.
Also, will we be getting taxes from Preston this new year? How much land do we have from that and etc.etc.?

e: Here is what I have so far. People are missing from the list, and I might be off in some areas. Let me know!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:55:18 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 18, 2011, 02:49:33 pm »

Can't be the plan anymore, actually.
I have to move immediately to sack the port at miring? Why? CAuse I cant afford mine and manning's upkeep. And that puts us at a disadvantage.

Thusly the new plan is sack the port immediately, thus preventing Trubaldsome from having the funds for his OWN upkeep.
I should probably edit that into my turn.
Further editing: Unless by merely sailing down there...No, no im sacking it. Roll -that- in your calcs Iituem. Im updating my move to reflect this.

Fair enough, but you can only sack the port by defeating the castle defenders, since none of your units are raiders or sea raiders.  You can do that as a two-pronged strike with Taric by sending messengers to him to alert him of your strategy, but I've defined previously that you can't sack a structure (ports/markets count as structures) whilst there are defenders still holding it - unless you are a raider group.

Edit: Preston's navy consists of 3 warships (I think, I need to check the thread in case I miscounted).  Miring's consists of 2 because Terenos deliberately lost both carracks to attrition and the privateers split (not wanting to become further targets of Terenos' ambitions).

Preston won't provide any tax from its urban (8d/year) or port (6d/year) revenues because they were looted to fund the war.  The Crown takes 2 parcels of land directly, so it will receive 2d from tax, and the remaining 6 parcels of land are under 5 minor nobles that have chosen to swear fealty to you.  You will receive 2d vassal tax from them, but one of them (the Admiral) is going to withhold his vassal tax because he still believes Terenos had the authority to grant him the exemption.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:58:42 pm by Iituem »

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 634