Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289710 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #720 on: August 18, 2011, 08:07:41 am »

Edit: Iitumien, I just had the look at the trade rules and I think they are spot on. One thing that's missing though is a proper knowledge of what place produces what. Or do I have to explore places as part of the merchant adventure? I know that Elbreth proper has wool and Eelspine has some Iron, and that Vasir has iron industry. Also, when starting a trading company, do you need some sort of royal charter or document? and can you expand those companies with branches in different places and so on (business size?).

As is said in the Duchy's page on the wiki, Vasir locally produces flax (as it doesn't exist as a trade good, I guess it should be cotton), grain, grapes and various luxuries, and is a central trade hub for various fabrics and cloths, wine, and to a lesser extent, high-quality lumber, dyes and slaves.

I'd appreciate if you stayed true to the extensive wiki article I've written up for Vasir, atleast mainly.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: August 18, 2011, 08:19:03 am »

I'll add Flax in as a trade good, but I'm editing Vasir's province entry now.  We'll ignore the whole arms production aspect (my mistake), but I'm going to put Flax, Grain and Liquor as Vasir's primary exports - I too would prefer to stick to the lovingly written wiki article.

We'll say someone just happened to have Arms for sale in Vasir at a good rate.

I am going to have to seriously rebalance Market Potential for businesses, though.  It's going to have to go down to either equal to or double TP, because right now Vasir's Market Potential is 32.  I don't want people making 32 ducats out of a single province.  =B

Edit:  You need a charter if the kingdom requires you to have one (i.e. it wants to tax the hell out of you).  King Erik hasn't specifically stated that charters are required yet, but he might decide they are.  You can expand businesses within a province and create branches in other provinces, yes.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:21:54 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: August 18, 2011, 08:19:42 am »

Apologies for my oversight. Just having a bit weird day really. I was just reading through the details on provinces and goods. I will have to organize a regular shipments of goods between provinces when I get enough money for that.
And yes I would love to make 32 ducats on a single run. East india company made money like that all the time :P
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:21:26 am by Ardas »

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 18, 2011, 08:22:59 am »

Something to consider might be inflating prices to allow for smaller profits than 1 ducat.

1 ducat becomes 10 ducats.

Upkeep for a pikemen regiment goes from 2 ducats to 20 ducats.

This allows fraction profits to be more easily kept track of.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 18, 2011, 08:26:31 am »

I am wary of fractions and such, they make for a messy game, although it sounds much more realistic to pay 20 ducats for soldiers rather than 2.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 18, 2011, 08:32:14 am »

In addition to my previous actions:

Try to analyze the corpse for cause of death, feel for tooth marks or wounds from weapons, then follow any tracks leading away from the scene and pursue the attacker, Buster should be helpful here and also keep a bolt notched into your crossbow which can be released immediately.

I'd also like to have a conditional action (the ztah running down the valley to capture me):

Whilst analyzing the corpse shouts can be heard faintly, multiple men, Buster barks at them and Percy again flies to them squawking above their position, at least half a mile away. Coming down the steep sides of the ravine Meng gives himself ten minutes.

Make a mental note of the corpses cause of death, then make a run for it across the river which should stall them for a bit, if they're in pursuit, then if they start to follow keep moving and try to hide among the rocks and outcroppings until they go away, once they've gone follow them back sticking to the sides of the rock face and try to remain unseen.

EDIT: And whilst running try to hide bolts in various places on his person, inner layers of clothing, they might not see one fitted in his crossbow and wherever else would work.
Why do you think my troops are Loud they are raiders they wouldn't yell when trying to sneak up on someone, Because yelling tells targets that they are there and to raid properly you need surprise.

I ask for a roll for if he hears me
I have the hearing of someone who's survived in the wilds for years, the sight of a bird and the smell of a dog, pretty sure I could detect you from a decent way away, so rolling is fair, but may I please have a +1 or +2 advantage?

EDIT:

Something to consider might be inflating prices to allow for smaller profits than 1 ducat.

1 ducat becomes 10 ducats.

Upkeep for a pikemen regiment goes from 2 ducats to 20 ducats.

This allows fraction profits to be more easily kept track of.

100 shillings to a ducat? Or 10, or a 1,000...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:38:30 am by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 18, 2011, 08:50:12 am »

I am wary of fractions and such, they make for a messy game, although it sounds much more realistic to pay 20 ducats for soldiers rather than 2.

Since fractions only account for upkeep and merchant trading, it's not a major concern for me.  I'd rather keep ducat use down at the single-digit level because it maps directly to the bonuses they give to rolls.  I would rather have avoided fractions, but they proved quite necessary for balance on the mercantile scale of things, and half-ducats were useful for balancing out upkeep where a full ducat would not have been valid.

A ducat is roughly equal to an ingot of pure silver.  That might not sound like a lot, but it is.  It really is.  That much silver can pay a basic regiment's wages and equipment upkeep for a year.  This is why ducats were my weapon for choice for kingdom level decision-making.

There isn't a direct ducat -> shilling map because shillings are just fluff.  They don't make a difference to the mechanics side of thing, I just needed a currency that was smaller than the ducat to vaguely describe what people do on a scale smaller than that of a kingdom.

Several of the money-making systems are unbalanced right now, on the generous side.  The businesses I'm fine with (since you need fairly major investments to make profit off them) and projects are painful enough to make the reward worthwhile.  Business expansion needs to be limited and rebalanced, though, and I've made merchanting too easy.  That'll have to get fixed when I have time.  Which, as I've repeated often enough lately, I do not at this moment.

Ashton/Noah:  Detection roll would happen anyway.  No bonuses - your abilities make up for your loss of sight, but you're not Daredevil.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 18, 2011, 08:59:02 am »

Well, well. Aulon doesn't like competitors. Especially not ones that could actually be a danger to his plans.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 18, 2011, 09:11:20 am »

Scaling the walls needs rebalancing.  As of next year, the difficulty of Scaling Walls will be equal to the defensive power of the fortification.  Mere walls will be easier to breach, Castles will be harder.

The new year will come once the situations in Suul and Miring have reached a resolution (i.e. the battles have been fought to conclusion).

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 18, 2011, 09:12:22 am »

It won't be competition for long if Aulon plans to die in a siege of the city.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 18, 2011, 09:18:31 am »

Just a question occasionally in GM posts I'll occasionally see: X PC gained 10 points in sword fighting

Only thing is I've not seen anything about an experience system in the rules, could someone point me in the right direction... Might have just missed it.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 18, 2011, 09:20:28 am »

Just a question occasionally in GM posts I'll occasionally see: X PC gained 10 points in sword fighting

Only thing is I've not seen anything about an experience system in the rules, could someone point me in the right direction... Might have just missed it.

There isn't, exactly.  Players can declare that they want to train up in a specific skill, after which they get training rolls in the right situation.  I'm sorely considering changing the system or adding in some costs though, because right now there is zero disincentive to train - if it was a choice between training or something else, that would be more balanced (i.e. you can train but not manage a business, or train but not engage in any merchant adventures or the like).

Not sure how to balance that, so suggestions welcome.

Edit:  Also, if they hadn't managed to scale the walls that battle would have ended in a result of 3 vs 13.  Castles are awesome.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 18, 2011, 09:29:41 am »

Er, You forgot my PG unit...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 18, 2011, 09:33:00 am »

I'm pretty sure they're one of the units you're turning up with now.
I'm a little confused myself though, as I thought you were leading that attack. Oh well. :P
Exciting stuff!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 18, 2011, 09:36:33 am »

Er, You forgot my PG unit...

Unless your PG was an upgraded unit and I missed it, doesn't make a difference to the battle.  You arrived in Miring with 5 regiments (yours & 4 crown inf), left 3 there and took 3 (your PG, 1 inf and Terenos' guard) to Preston and then returned with only two (Terenos' guard stayed behind).

No, if Taric had been leading the attack... actually, they still would have lost, but I think they might have been able to take yl Marchis' pikers with them.

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 634