Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 290070 times)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #405 on: August 16, 2011, 04:01:59 pm »

If no one has already started I could probably work up some rolls for Jormund's/Doc Johnston/Endhras fight.

As well as Manskinner's terror campaign?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 16, 2011, 04:03:02 pm »

Busy as I might me, still adding a new rule to the rules posts for the spell system that's been buzzing around in my head the last few days.  Sometimes you get something on your mind and need to get it down on paper.  Or in this case, aethereal medium.

Casting Spells

Casting spells is a three step process involving three conditional rolls (i.e. each roll depends upon the prior rolls).  All spells require Power, Control and Resolution.  Given the difficulty of magic, whilst I will allow a mage to train in his particular form of magic I will also require him to do so separately for each stage of casting (i.e. training in Power or Control or Resolution).  Bear in mind that spellcasting of any kind but particularly of the kind that employs spells of great magnitude are often life-threatening rolls.  A failed roll can kill or otherwise seriously damage your character.  If you want to use magic successfully, stack the odds as heavily in your favour as you can because they are already against you.

Power:  Accessing the power source for the spell.  If your spell draws mysterious energy from the aether, this is tapping into the aether.  If it is summoning spirits to do your bidding, this is summoning the spirits.

+ A natural 1 results in the power source failing and in an unpleasant consequence deriving from the nature of the power source.  The summoned demon might attack you rather than be summoned, the spirits might place a curse on you, you might get an uncontrolled explosion or burst of magical energy.  The spell fails.

+ 2 or less results in the power source failing.  The demon or spirit refuses to answer the call.  You are unable to tap into the energy source.  Trying again will usually require you to change the method of the spell in some way.  The spell fails.

+ 3-4 results in successfully tapping the power source.  The demon is summoned, the spirits are called, the ley line is tapped.  The spell continues.

+ 5 or more results in successfully tapping the power source to great effect.  A potent but controllable demon is summoned, many or particularly useful spirits answer, a major ley line is tapped.  The spell continues, but the effects will be of a (generally beneficial) greater magnitude.

+ A natural 6 results in successfully tapping the power source, but the influx of power being almost too great to control.  A dangerously powerful demon is summoned, the caster is overwhelmed by spirits, the sheer power of the ley line is threatening to tear apart the caster's mind.  The spell continues and the effects will be of a greater magnitude, but the power source is difficult to control.  The caster takes a -1 penalty to his Control and Resolution checks.

Control:  Manipulating the tapped power.  If your spell tapped a ley line, this is focusing that impersonal energy into a usable form.  If you summoned spirits or demons, this might be communicating your desires and offering a pact, or else binding the spirits into direct service to you.

+ A natural 1 results in a loss of control and unpleasant consequence.  The raw power from the ley line might build up instead of being released, threatening a terrible explosion, or else might emerge in some horribly undesirable form.  The spirits might take offence and not only refuse service but enact some kind of punishment, or the demon might just break loose and go rampaging.  The spell's desired effect fails.  Proceed to Resolution, but take a -1 to the roll.

+ 2 or less results in a loss of or failure to control.  The tapped power proves unsuitable for the spell, or you are unable to get it to respond properly.  The spirits simply refuse to accept your bargain.  The demon cannot be securely bound, though it does not immediately break loose.  The spell's desired effect fails.  Proceed to Resolution.

+ 3-4 results in a successful effort of control.  You shape the tapped power into the desired spell.  The spirits agree to your pact.  The demon submits to your will.  The spell's desired effect works as intended.

+ 5 or more results in a masterful display of control.  Your finished spell is of great potency, or you wield it with finesse.  The spirits summoned are especially suited to the task.  The demon works eagerly under your command.  The spell's desired effects works with particular finesse or power.

+ A natural 6 means that the spell technically works as intended but that the effects spill beyond the strict parameters.  The spell is too thorough or covers too great an area.  The spirits go 'the extra mile', or get a little too keen and try to anticipate or interpret instructions you didn't give.  The demon carries out your instructions with vicious literal-mindedness.  Proceed to Resolution.

Resolution:  Closing off the tapped power source.  If your spell tapped a ley line, this is sealing the breach you made to tap the power.  If you called the spirits, this is ensuring they return to their world.  If you summoned demons, this is banishing them successfully.

+ A natural 1 not only means you fail to resolve the spell correctly, but some additional mishap occurs as a direct consequence.  Not only does the ley line stay open, it surges with power creating strange and dangerous effects.  The spirits not only refuse to go, they go out of their way to cause you trouble.  The demon sticks around and starts summoning a few more of his buddies into the world.

+ 2 or less results in a failed resolution.  The ley line remains open, spilling power into the world.  The spirits refuse to leave and will continue to affect the world until they can be stopped.  The demon breaks free and causes havoc.

+ 3-4 results in a successful resolution.  The ley line is sealed.  The spirits peacefully return to their realm.  The demon is banished.

+ 5 or more results in a particularly effective resolution.  The ley line is sealed in such a way that you can access it again more easily next time.  The spirits depart, but leave their mark so they will recognise you should you call them again.  The demon is banished, but you retain a link to him to summon him in the future.  You will receive a +1 to your Power check next time you employ the same power source.

+ A natural 6 results in a successful but rather too vehement resolution to the spell.  The ley line is sealed tight, making it difficult to tap again.  The spirits depart, but felt offended and less inclined to help in the future.  The demon is sealed so effectively that you will have trouble plucking him from the nether-realms again in the future.  You will receive a -1 penalty to your Power check next time you employ the same power source.

Edit:  Go for it, Knave.  I need to force myself to do at least an hour's worth of rehearsing right now before I work on any more rolls or rules anyway.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #407 on: August 16, 2011, 04:13:16 pm »

What language do the Elbrethians speak?

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 16, 2011, 04:16:54 pm »

What language do the Elbrethians speak?
Elbrethian of course  8)
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #409 on: August 16, 2011, 04:24:30 pm »

Really? Cause that's what I thought, just wanted it to be right for my nation/religion.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 16, 2011, 04:25:55 pm »

Mirish.  Which is also the language of Brighthall, Preston, Suul, Weyland (albeit with dialectic differences) and the western part of the Storm Coast.  Diplomats and nobles tend to be familiar with multiple languages, as a privilege of their lifestyle and upbringing.  As do soldiers, as a privilege of being forced to order drinks in foreign countries when at war.

What do people in the Storm Coast tend to speak?  Samakhet, which is a related but distinct language.  The Ztah speak Ztahren.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #411 on: August 16, 2011, 04:30:08 pm »

Wait...people from Elbreth speak Mirish?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 16, 2011, 04:35:41 pm »

Wait...people from Elbreth speak Mirish?

Yep.  All the countries along the Mirish Coast speak Mirish.  Miring used to be a much bigger country before it broke apart, around the time the first of the Trubaldsome dynasty took hold.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 16, 2011, 04:52:38 pm »

So we should never let Trubaldsome take power, lest miring splits further XD.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 16, 2011, 05:02:22 pm »

Yknow the wiki isnt as easy to manipulate as a blank html document would be -.- it sorta annoys me in some ways. Like how you cant manipulate the contents headers or quickly notice looking at content if its a subdivision of another header or not (tactics to 'new rules' for example)
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 16, 2011, 05:05:48 pm »

Yknow the wiki isnt as easy to manipulate as a blank html document would be -.- it sorta annoys me in some ways. Like how you cant manipulate the contents headers or quickly notice looking at content if its a subdivision of another header or not (tactics to 'new rules' for example)

You have to click the 'Source' button in the top right-hand corner to switch it to normal Wiki code.  It annoys me, but I really dislike using the WYSIWYG format.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 16, 2011, 05:07:13 pm »

Trying to add the spells info
*kicks wikia*
Le sigh, i'll make it work eventually...or i dont have a software engineering degree!

EDIT: Fixed it *kicks it again anyway* Jesus, apostrophes used as an indicator of bold AND italics? this is terrible. WHY ISNT IT JUST HTML?! Who designed this bullshit?!!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:11:51 pm by CyberGenesis »

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 16, 2011, 05:20:15 pm »

Hmm... kinda looking forwards to the sea battle, and also me finding the Nahk, these guys are hidden pretty well. Guess I'll see what happens tomorrow, and Iiteum, this game really isn't so important that you are obliged to update for it every day, sure some people can cover you until you've done your play, people's have already said that and chances are you don't give a half damn on my opion but can't hurt to be nice  :) , what's the play about anyway?
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 16, 2011, 05:25:23 pm »

Those of us that had exposure to his GM'ing are used to him buggering off for a few days at a time for his plays and such. We don't mind, it just gives us more time to harrass eachother and taunt.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 16, 2011, 06:54:08 pm »

@ Terenos: Well, you killed Leuki (and Chicane, obviously) a while before I even left for Preston, and now it's been a couple of weeks since the battle and, what with the whole dramatic way he died, and the speech you made, I'm pretty sure news would be spreading all over pretty quickly... :P
GM can correct me if I'm wrong, though.

And yeah, personally I don't mind waiting for something truly awesome, and which fits in the setting perfectly. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 634