Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289911 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 08:08:51 pm »

Well Zako, As far as a spymaster goes.. I am pretty sure our good king Erik will be assigning that post to one Terenos d'Avistral, also known as the Black Shadow.

I had every intention of setting up an assassins guild though, and could use some assistance in that department. I mean a guild for diplomats. Yes. That.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 08:10:27 pm »

Let's go with the gm's wiki. Makes sense to me.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 08:10:53 pm »

Alright. Time to commit as the JUST knight XD

And I don't think we can access lumber...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 08:12:04 pm »

Hey, wait... There's a guy I mentioned in my backstory, my sparring partner from childhood. He's the son of the previous general of Elbreth. You could do something with that...
Oh, and yeah, you absolutely can play a direct swordsman. I'm not going to stop you. Go for it if that's what you want. The above might be a good backstory though!

Yea, I think I could be your ancient sparring partner... Anything I need to know about the character before I make my intro post?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 08:12:12 pm »

Regarding Magic

As part of the rules rewrite, a magic system will be assessed and parts of that have already been displayed in Locanil's spirit summoning rolls; a division of spells into different parts (in that case Summoning, Binding and Banishing) where any part has the power to go wrong.  This will keep the variability of magic in place, especially given that a different thing can go wrong at each step with differing consequences.

Also coming with the rules update will be a theme and setting post, in which the role of magic is noted; I am determined to keep this game relatively low-magic.  You are King is very much a game of politics and subtlety as much as it is open warfare and adventuring, and this works better with most characters staying mundane.  Wizards should be rare and dangerous, and tempting as it might be to make everyone a wizard we as the GMs will want to make it painful enough to play one to discourage most from trying.

The same goes for demons and other high-fantasy elements.  The introduction of magic led to some dangerous expectations and assumptions about what 'goes' in the gameworld, with one player stating that "this is a fantasy" and therefore assuming that druids and dire wolves could be taken as read.  Medieval/Reformation/Renaissance Europe should be your guideline here, not Dungeons and Dragons.  By common consent of the players, magic exists, but it is not the focus of the game.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 08:12:24 pm »

I've added my introduction text for my character, as well as a condensed, TL; DR version. I think everyone should do that sort of thing, though most people have more complex characters than I do. If you have a character who died or you see a blatantly missing item, add it. That should do the trick for basic wiki creation.

Iituem, please put that in the OP of this thread. It's very helpful for fantasy level determination.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 08:23:25 pm »

Well Zako, As far as a spymaster goes.. I am pretty sure our good king Erik will be assigning that post to one Terenos d'Avistral, also known as the Black Shadow.

I had every intention of setting up an assassins guild though, and could use some assistance in that department. I mean a guild for diplomats. Yes. That.

Hahahaha... I dout it somehow, your famous dude, even the peasants know you. You could head the assassins guild as well as the diplomats, but you aren't the material for a spymaster. They have to be sneaky, quiet, subtle and, most of all, out of the public eye. No king with any sense will appoint you as a spy master. Not for the subtle stuff at any rate.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 08:24:31 pm »

Hey, wait... There's a guy I mentioned in my backstory, my sparring partner from childhood. He's the son of the previous general of Elbreth. You could do something with that...
Oh, and yeah, you absolutely can play a direct swordsman. I'm not going to stop you. Go for it if that's what you want. The above might be a good backstory though!

Yea, I think I could be your ancient sparring partner... Anything I need to know about the character before I make my intro post?
Um, no, not really. I just left that plot hook open for just this kind of moment. No real restrictions. You are a general's son, and that's about all.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 08:28:04 pm »

Thats the delicious point of it all. Clearly I know what I'm doing, as far as assassinations (seriously can anything I've done be counted here? I have my doubts) or general subterfuge. And its always good to have at least one obvious spy/assassin/so on.
If everyones watching the obvious spy (in this case me) My retinue, or other spies, will go unobserved. Hence the purpose of revealing myself.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 08:28:16 pm »

I'm also going to declare a veto right now on demons as characters, full stop.  In fact, a veto on any non-human characters except hatcuri.

Edit 1:  Current Naval strength of Miring is 2 warships, 1 privateer sloop.  Terenos really did a number on them.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:35:58 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 08:29:52 pm »

that's probably for the best. There is plenty of intrigue without high fantasy getting involved at all.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 08:35:05 pm »

Oh Please, if they are watching you, they are doubtlessly watching your minions. It only makes sense. Anyway, the king would probably prefer someone that is unknown and hidden to be a spymaster rather than someone who doesn't know the meaning of subterfuge.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 08:37:02 pm »

What about the Line of a Longlived family due to that family's sire experminting with Immortality? The downside is that the family isn't immortal. Only have about 200 year life span and once every say...30 years is bedridden for a year with horrible aches and pains that immoblize them?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 08:45:16 pm »

What about the Line of a Longlived family due to that family's sire experminting with Immortality? The downside is that the family isn't immortal. Only have about 200 year life span and once every say...30 years is bedridden for a year with horrible aches and pains that immoblize them?

I've granted the Vadud lineage an exemption due to the intervention of a wizard centuries back in the timeline.  The details are not publicly available in case I ever want them for plot purposes, but they are related to the reason for the existence of hatcuri.  Part of the reason for granting this exemption is because it has practically zero game impact.  Your character is so likely to die of accidental or 'un-natural' causes within the game's span that it is essentially irrelevant.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:49:35 pm by Iituem »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 08:50:00 pm »

I've granted the Vadud lineage an exemption due to the intervention of a wizard centuries back in the timeline.  The details are not publicly available in case I ever want them for plot purposes, but they are related to the reason for the existence of hatcuri.

Ahem... I think its time for...Wut?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 634