Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 288074 times)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #6435 on: November 09, 2011, 06:03:40 pm »

So hes going to be going near Shola?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6436 on: November 09, 2011, 06:05:00 pm »

Yes...
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6437 on: November 09, 2011, 06:57:51 pm »

Nuke, I mean after I edited him
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #6438 on: November 09, 2011, 07:46:07 pm »

He's interesting, to say the least.

Anyway Ardas, what type of Soliders are these going to be?
Heavy Spear Calvary or something?

Or just the standerd Roman pike/swordsmen?

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6439 on: November 09, 2011, 07:48:05 pm »

OK, my wordy explanation of the project is there. Essentially think roman legionary, but in 16th century and with swords and halberds instead of shields and gladiuses.

There is plenty of other stuff about the unit I thought up. I looked over some historical material regarding roman and 16th century drills and tactics and something similar to tercio came to my mind, although with more emphasis on discipline and the formation of the soldiers in several rows without guns. Nikephoros will be writing a manual of it all, essentially a codex for the Ligorian army on formations, training, battle and also auxilary units. A complete reform of the army if you will, starting with creation of a main backbone of the army.
I guess introduction of a proessional army into a region where peasant levies and mercenaris are norm is going to shake thing up a bit. This should be reflected in combat stats and bonuses.

Of course I don't expect to have all of this without a cost, so this frontline unit should be appropriately more expensive and take longer to train. But having them will be definitely more cost effective than a huge and mediocre peasant levy.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:50:14 pm by Ardas »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: November 09, 2011, 07:51:16 pm »

So your trying to recreate the roman empire?
Hmm...they'll rely on phalanx formation?

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: November 09, 2011, 07:57:37 pm »

Well, its a combination of a Spanish renaissance tercio and Roman infantry drill. Several different rows and mixed weapons means that the unit can switch fromation to face either cavalry or infantry, plus all soldiers carry a secondary weapon.

These guys should be supplemented by an auxilary force of crossbows that will cover the infantry and medium cavalry that can flank and attack in the rear once the Ligorian "legionary" has the enemy pinned down.

The auxilia is for later though and requies its own development, but the core is to create this line infatry that can take on most of threats.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6442 on: November 09, 2011, 08:00:33 pm »

I don't think this is a good idea. The roman tactics worked because they were fighting barbarians (discipline beats rage everytime). During the renaissance, all the armies are well disciplined. There's also the fact that tercios worked because they had guns - it was quite simple, put guns behind, put pikes in front, guns are now helping pikes and pikes are protecting guns. Trying to recreate tercios without guns might not be a good idea. I see your idea and I understand your plan - I'm just saying it might not work.

But hey. It might be very good in the Storm Coast, since we don't exactly know the popular tactics of that time (I guess they're like the Renaissance's, but they might not be). We'll see.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: November 09, 2011, 08:01:34 pm »

Do they have sheilds?
If not I found two things of weakness. So far.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: November 09, 2011, 08:05:26 pm »

One of the big problems will be cannons. When you train soldiers to fight together and you design their tactics to make them extremely powerful when they are united, they need to stay united. A single shot from a cannon can make a breach in an infantry line, and a single breach can lead to the collapse of an army when they are using these tactics.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: November 09, 2011, 08:06:55 pm »

True but a single legionare was as dangerous as a barbarian, alone that is, together they were great, a grinding battle would still be on your hands.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #6446 on: November 09, 2011, 08:08:45 pm »

Don't forget that a well place grenade or bomb will do a lot of damage in a phalanx. And also remember what the Americans did in the revolution to the British lines...or atleast what i think they did...

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6447 on: November 09, 2011, 08:10:26 pm »

Well I'm working with the idea that tough drill and mixed weapoons will supplement those weaknesses. I'm only borrowing the training regime from romans, the rest is simply working with renaissance tactics.

Tercio worked with mixed weapons so pikes+swords+firearms. I  remember asking and learning that Storm Coast does not have tercio units developed, so I thought I would be the first one. There are no good guns or cannons as of yet (keep that in mind!) , so I'm substituting that with auxilary force of crossbows and some cavalry to flank, but not attack frontally.

My Ligorian legion should be able to win, taking into account the fact that it will make everyone else obsolete and there are no good gunpowder weapons developed yet.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: November 09, 2011, 08:11:30 pm »

My cannon is of the finest quality thank you very much  :P

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: November 09, 2011, 08:15:42 pm »

My Ligorian legion should be able to win, taking into account the fact that it will make everyone else obsolete and there are no good gunpowder weapons developed yet.
It won't make Guerrilla warfare obsolete...if soldiers are kept in phalanx they would be incredibly easy to bomb and to be shot down or to be trapped even.
Although it might work against some of the bigger armies.
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 634