Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 288794 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #4440 on: October 04, 2011, 11:00:26 pm »

It will still be nearly impossible to get up to much of anything, militarily. Your enemies will be better trained and better armed. Your forces will be put down if they grow too numerous, thanks to the Storm Coasts policy on Empire building.

When you try to recruit an army, rank 0 or rank 1, they'll see it coming and move against you. With better troops. Cause I'll bet you a dollar and probably win, that they didn't just go through a bloody coup that destroyed their army.

This adds nothing because you're never going to see anything other than Rank 0 and Rank 1 troops. So its effectively only strengthening NPCs. And possibly mercenaries. How does that add any value to the game? It over complicates a working system.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: October 04, 2011, 11:03:23 pm »

Thing is, I also have an arena. The potential to use that as a training ground for the troops is staggering.

And fighting is common, conquest isn't. As long as I don't take anything militaristically I should be fine.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: October 05, 2011, 12:11:53 am »

Nuke:

Spoiler: Art math (click to show/hide)
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: October 05, 2011, 12:40:16 am »

Kyutzian and his band of druidic warrior peasants want to head over to the next city state northwards.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Any ideas for names, descriptions?
Nothing fancy, its just a grey city.

The city of Lechem is renowned for it's uniquely pink glass, a closely guarded secret of the city's glassmakers. Little else is unique about the city, except that the lord of the city (called the Fes) is chosen by an extremely complex voting method involving more than 8000 voters at different points in the process. The city uses mercenaries to protect it's lands.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: October 05, 2011, 01:12:38 am »

I actually just named it in my reply to tari's actions

We can use that for the island to the west though

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: October 05, 2011, 01:13:40 am »

Guess I didn't see that. Ah well.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: October 05, 2011, 01:22:42 am »

On a more important note: I really desperately want to shoot down the entire XP system. It puts an amount of 'personal investment' into units that are meant to truly be disposable. The system will A) Make people not want to fight, or B) attempt to stockpile units in an effort to hope 1 or 2 out of the entire stack survive a battle.

When the combat system we have nearly guarantees at least 1 unit will die every round of an attack, you're putting a lot of bookkeeping into something that has a 1 in X chance of being the one that dies automatically. The upgrade system is already going to be expanded to allow for more variety anyway. But, if you people truly want an XP system, Tari's is nearly unbreakable but needs a little polish yet.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: October 05, 2011, 01:25:47 am »

I don't want an XP system either but everyone else seems to want them.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: October 05, 2011, 04:04:59 am »

Well, It could use some more work (Like anything, it can be improved).

At any rate, Mileth would be FUN to deal with, and I suspect the islanders may be pirates or such.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: October 05, 2011, 04:24:04 am »

If you want to remember, I am right now serving under queen, so I contribute one regiment of veteran mercenaries. I also can work as a drill instructor and a general in case my experience is needed.
Or I could disperse my unit and have them train the greenies in the whole army. So Ligoria is not as defenceless as one might think. But it will take a lot of men and gold to organise invasion-worthy army.

Also, there must be a lot of diplomacy done first so that people don't gang up on the queen just because she organises an army bigger than theirs.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: October 05, 2011, 04:26:25 am »

I think it would just cold war, everyone stockpiling troops and such.

Also, anyone going to complain with the mercenary regiments starting out as rank 2 if we use the XP system? Or possibly rank 3?

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: October 05, 2011, 04:35:06 am »

How about we throw away the upgrades and just go with a very simple expierence system? We can assume that EXP entails with it an upgrade of equipment alongside any battle experience? that way units become more likely to be used and are not as money-costly (just simple upkeep increment to more experienced units).

1 battle = 1EXP
2 battles = 2EXP
4 Battles = 3EXP

3 levels would be sufficent and they would simply add a modifier to the rolls which reflect their ability to fight harder and survive. Additional modifiers would come form the expereince of the commanders and any terrain modfiers. Mind you, all of this are simple +x or -x modifiers to the rolls. Then you got your stuff like pikes vs horsmen and guns vs armored.

Also, do we know know how big are the regiments? 20 men? 100? 3000?

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: October 05, 2011, 04:51:20 am »

As Iituem once said, regiment size is variable. Its a matter of the force brought. 20 men in chain mail, 300 peasants with pitchforks. What have you. Its yknow a general levy of 300 peasants or hand picking the best 20. (that may be a direct quote, I cant remember and cant be arsed to go looking)

Thats the size of a regiment. Variable. Sure we could nail it down but thats hardly important.
-----

Really though, the army system works as it is. You're adding in more complexity without giving a concrete reason for that complexity being required. I will concede that it gives mercenaries a boost. But thats about it. I'm serious, unless people -have- troops higher than rank 1, Odds are incredibly against them getting troops higher than rank 1. As the system is, you actually have a chance of winning battles and thus managing to make military progress if thats your aim. Otherwise, aye. Just stockpiling troops and cold war. Which means no one would build an army as its just a drain on finances, and they could use the money for other things.

Now something like an experience rating for commanders? That i would support wholeheartedly. It fills the same role (giving mercenaries a point), and also improves the ability of an army to fight. While not causing excessive bookkeeping. It also slots nicely into our currently existing skill system. Where you fulfill certain tasks to receive training in specific fields. I'd also support a single free ability for mercenary leaders, to give them a reason for choosing to start that way. As opposed to another way.

A list of troops will expand over, and over, and over. A commander's skill level would be one line, appended to any post where its relevant.
Which would you rather see? X Regiments, Skill level, upgrades Y, Z , and then another line, info for the next troop type. And another line, And so on. And not just for your army. For every single army that becomes important or relevant.
Or each Commander having some skill that gives his troops a bonus to tactics, or a bonus on defense, or a bonus on offense. Much easier to keep track of.

For the most part, I'm just straight opposed to the system. Its complex, mostly worthless and the higher levels have no purpose because we'll never see them happen. Lets not overload the GM's by making them keep track of more things. Lets not overload the players by making them keep track of things. Such things can lead to the death of a game. Our lack of GM's contributed to the end of YAK 1. Are you going to scare off new ones, or the few you have by forcing them to keep track of yet more data?

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: October 05, 2011, 04:56:33 am »

Fair enough. I am happy with going with the commander experience. That way hiring mercenaries and generals makes more sense and simplifies things, as you said. It also gives everyone a fair chance in battle and lets the warrior-type PC to show off and influence things.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: October 05, 2011, 05:01:14 am »

Aye. Merchant type PC's usually start with a decent amount of credit, Warrior PC's get to start out with a free +2 in something, or 2 +1s, And Noble PC's get to start with land. Its a reasonable balance, that allows players to pick a role that suits them.

Not only that, it also allows for an NPC General role for NPC states, or even Ligoria. So they have a dedicated general (or several), drawing their pay and doing their job. Could make for some interesting battles as random npc generals start to show up with traits that lead them to act certain ways. Annd stopping myself from rambling.
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 634