Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289371 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #3570 on: September 26, 2011, 09:10:14 pm »

So, what. Everyone makes with the posting of the characters now?
Very well.

Name: Hugo van Vissersdorp (thats pronounced with a raspy G in hugo. Sort of like hucho with the ch of loch)
Occupation: Jack of all artforms (which artforms depends on period chosen).
Description: The son of a whore and a mercenary soldier. In an ironic twist, his father took full responsibility for his mother's pregnancy, and stayed with her whenever he wasn't on campaign. As such, Hugo had a happy if unconventional childhood, learning more than a young boy should about the way of the world from his loving mother, who continued to work despite her essentially committed relationship with his father. From his father, he learnt tales of the horrors and glories of war, and of far off lands and the nobles who hired mercenaries to do their fighting for them.
But instead of becoming a soldier himself, Hugo painted. In another ironic twist, both his parents were highly supportive of Hugo's hobby, doing their utmost to supply him with the materials and training he wanted. With their loving guidance, Hugo flourished. He branched out from painting into other artforms, and at the age of twelve he was apprenticed to a master artist. At the age of seventeen, Hugo completed his masterpiece, and entered employment as an assistant artist. However his ambition was not sated with regular employment, and Hugo studied more. He watched masons and carpenters, potters and glaziers. He begged and scraped his way into a nobleman's library, where he taught himself to read, and devoured knowledge with a passion.
When the artistic knowhow of his home town was depleted, Hugo left, always seeking more. A brief stop in the capital of the lowlands was enough to tell him where he needed to be: [INSERT PRIMARY GAME LOCATION HERE], surely the epicenter of culture for the entire Storm Coast.
Also, he's gay. The guy is the son of a whore; hetrosexual loving has lost all appeal to him. How flamboyant he is about this depends on what local attitude towards homosexuality is. Regardless, he will be fabulous. And so shall everything around him, so help him god(s).

A couple of things:
1)I imply the existence of a region or country known as the lowlands here. I assume this is fine. This is fine, right?
2)Anyone running/part of a mercenary company, can Hugo's father be a member of said company, preferably of a medium-highish rank- If politics get ugly, I would like to run crying to daddy and a few of his loyal men. If not, I would like to imply the existence of a group of lowlandish mercenaries to serve a similar purpose.
3)Obviously Hugo is more of a renaissance man, but I feel he could still work as a (slightly) ahead of his time medieval man. If anyone has a real problem with this, please let me know.
4)...am I doin' it right?

Re: City/cities, I think having a single starting city state would be best. But by having the city state be similar to Venice/Genoa, one can simultaneously have the city state, and the conquering, and rebelling, and what not. (Both Venice and Genoa had extensive overseas properties, which were often violently contested)
Long Live United Forenia!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #3571 on: September 26, 2011, 09:13:42 pm »

Has calmed down and drew a pretty picture since he sucks at explaining things.

On the left is how the game was played, Elbreth being team one, and Manskinner being team two, everyone else being controlled by Iiteum.  Elbreth, to my knowledge never fought against Manskinner.  However later Yoink did take over Miring, but we never actually had a war there.

On the right are the city states, each one there own "kingdom"  Notice that they don't have teams, that's because they are constantanly being fought over by people in them, around them, and from other cities, between the cities is were the parcels of land are, but the cities would also have parcels of "land" too I guess (for building smithy's or whatnot)

So we could either do it PvE, were we just slowly win, since most people are on the kings side.  or what is essentially PVP with some random computer stuff.

Okay, that's as clear as I can make it.

edit- or I could of checked and seen if anyone's played the guild 2..or the first one..acco..1440 or something..
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:16:39 pm by King_of_the_weasels »
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: September 26, 2011, 09:20:08 pm »

Played them both. I understand what you mean, but....I don't know...As long as we still have the armies (not all mercs hopefully) I think everyone would warm up to the idea. But having "computer" forces can help make things more interesting. Such as a Ztah chieftain uniting all the small and petty tribes and invading the Mirish and Storm Coasts.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: September 26, 2011, 09:21:48 pm »

Played them both. I understand what you mean, but....I don't know...As long as we still have the armies (not all mercs hopefully) I think everyone would warm up to the idea. But having "computer" forces can help make things more interesting. Such as a Ztah chieftain uniting all the small and petty tribes and invading the Mirish and Storm Coasts.

By mercs I mean not conscripted.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: September 26, 2011, 11:01:43 pm »

So, what. Everyone makes with the posting of the characters now?
Very well.

Name: Hugo van Vissersdorp (thats pronounced with a raspy G in hugo. Sort of like hucho with the ch of loch)
Occupation: Jack of all artforms (which artforms depends on period chosen).
Description: The son of a whore and a mercenary soldier. In an ironic twist, his father took full responsibility for his mother's pregnancy, and stayed with her whenever he wasn't on campaign. As such, Hugo had a happy if unconventional childhood, learning more than a young boy should about the way of the world from his loving mother, who continued to work despite her essentially committed relationship with his father. From his father, he learnt tales of the horrors and glories of war, and of far off lands and the nobles who hired mercenaries to do their fighting for them.
But instead of becoming a soldier himself, Hugo painted. In another ironic twist, both his parents were highly supportive of Hugo's hobby, doing their utmost to supply him with the materials and training he wanted. With their loving guidance, Hugo flourished. He branched out from painting into other artforms, and at the age of twelve he was apprenticed to a master artist. At the age of seventeen, Hugo completed his masterpiece, and entered employment as an assistant artist. However his ambition was not sated with regular employment, and Hugo studied more. He watched masons and carpenters, potters and glaziers. He begged and scraped his way into a nobleman's library, where he taught himself to read, and devoured knowledge with a passion.
When the artistic knowhow of his home town was depleted, Hugo left, always seeking more. A brief stop in the capital of the lowlands was enough to tell him where he needed to be: [INSERT PRIMARY GAME LOCATION HERE], surely the epicenter of culture for the entire Storm Coast.
Also, he's gay. The guy is the son of a whore; hetrosexual loving has lost all appeal to him. How flamboyant he is about this depends on what local attitude towards homosexuality is. Regardless, he will be fabulous. And so shall everything around him, so help him god(s).

A couple of things:
1)I imply the existence of a region or country known as the lowlands here. I assume this is fine. This is fine, right?
2)Anyone running/part of a mercenary company, can Hugo's father be a member of said company, preferably of a medium-highish rank- If politics get ugly, I would like to run crying to daddy and a few of his loyal men. If not, I would like to imply the existence of a group of lowlandish mercenaries to serve a similar purpose.
3)Obviously Hugo is more of a renaissance man, but I feel he could still work as a (slightly) ahead of his time medieval man. If anyone has a real problem with this, please let me know.
4)...am I doin' it right?

Re: City/cities, I think having a single starting city state would be best. But by having the city state be similar to Venice/Genoa, one can simultaneously have the city state, and the conquering, and rebelling, and what not. (Both Venice and Genoa had extensive overseas properties, which were often violently contested)

Great character, thank you for not being another noble or fightguy.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: September 26, 2011, 11:20:43 pm »

Actually, would it be ok if I change my guy? Or if I decided to play Locanil( :P ) again.

Nevermind. If I did that, I would be somewhat overpowered.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:26:18 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: September 26, 2011, 11:58:28 pm »

Hm.. when in the real world did clockwork start to rise?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: September 27, 2011, 12:00:41 am »

In which region? Middle East? China? Europe?

They seemed to be in use in China around...the 10th century but needed to use water as a power source.

True mechanical clocks seemed to become more widespread around the Mediterranean around the 12th-14th century.

But if I'm correct, the clocks your thinking of became really common in the 15th-16th century, at least in Germany.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:06:31 am by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: September 27, 2011, 12:12:07 am »

In which region? Middle East? China? Europe?

They seemed to be in use in China around...the 10th century but needed to use water as a power source.

True mechanical clocks seemed to become more widespread around the Mediterranean around the 12th-14th century.

But if I'm correct, the clocks your thinking of became really common in the 15th-16th century, at least in Germany.

I was thinking of being a clockmaker, with a.. business on the side.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: September 27, 2011, 05:11:34 am »

I don't know what yoy guys want, but I enjoyed YaK precisely because of its scope and approach. Having is play around an isolated area with couple of citystates is just a copy of You are Prince, which I saw on this forum as well.

I feel that there was nothing wrong with Elbreth, and having a radical change by dumping almost all of YaK for no god reason is just plaun dumb.

I understand your concerns Weasel, but please stop hardselling your ideas and forcing your vision onto others.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: September 27, 2011, 05:31:26 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original YaK started with play centered around one tiny baby kingdom, yes? The scope of the game expanded naturally as more players came in and claimed/conquered new lands, right?

Having the game start with a single focus, and expand as the players desire, seems like the most sensible option from a mechanical perspective; if you assume that you will be using a larger area, but everyone clusters around a smaller area anyway, you have merely created vast tracts of NPC territory, providing major headaches to GMing folks.
Whereas natural expansion is always going to have as much land as the players want to play in, with whatever borders on that for expansion.
Long Live United Forenia!

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: September 27, 2011, 05:38:46 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original YaK started with play centered around one tiny baby kingdom, yes? The scope of the game expanded naturally as more players came in and claimed/conquered new lands, right?

Having the game start with a single focus, and expand as the players desire, seems like the most sensible option from a mechanical perspective; if you assume that you will be using a larger area, but everyone clusters around a smaller area anyway, you have merely created vast tracts of NPC territory, providing major headaches to GMing folks.
Whereas natural expansion is always going to have as much land as the players want to play in, with whatever borders on that for expansion.

I'm not against that idea. We start little, we get bigger and as we get bigger we'll face more and more factions. If we only do noble infighting, we might never even be able to invade a city since everyone is going to be afraid of backstabs.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: September 27, 2011, 06:40:59 am »

Ok, so we're starting small and expanding from there? That works well for the majority.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: September 27, 2011, 08:45:27 am »

I'm with the idea if the organic expansion. Let's have a new kingdom somewhere and we work our way from there. Also, let's keep the resouces and economic aspect of the taxes and rule, but simplify the trade to routes.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: September 27, 2011, 09:22:37 am »

I think what brought YaK down was the immense content it had, it just grew over our heads.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 634