Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289730 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #3120 on: September 12, 2011, 07:29:05 pm »

Monopolies are bad. Taxing merchants is good. If he wants a monopoly, he damn well better pay for it.

That said, Yeah I pretty much don't care. Its trade. If I have the authority to shank his 'monopoly' and leave it bleeding in an alley, I will. Please note, I'll do it in such a way that no one will ever know its me. So..Yeah. *shrug*
There likely will not be a monopoly, not after both Terenos and Kain advised against it. With the Grand Master's blessing, however, Hans may be raised to the position of Master of Coin (perhaps with someone from MIA keeping an eye on him), and be issued the rights to a guild that is, for all intents and purposes, also Elbreth. We'll see. I'm thinking on how Erik will handle this still.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: September 12, 2011, 07:40:47 pm »

Free trade for all!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:44:34 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: September 12, 2011, 07:53:33 pm »

*Whistles idly* Well now we just have to see whats up.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: September 12, 2011, 08:01:29 pm »

As usual, small minds cannot see beyond their own little backyard. I am surprised to see how many people are against my proposal to Erik, despite the fact that there is someone bigger than me knocking on the doors of the kingdom, and all Erik has in reality is a backwater town for a capital and two ruined dependencies.

It is dead obvious that any monopoly rights or privileges will have to be paid for, as they were in reality, but given my capital and potential monopoly, I would be able to give Erik more gold than any bloody noble would win by invading a neighbouring country. And if monopoly rights are not granted, there is no problem for me to simply force all small traders out of business and achieving a physical monopoly in the economy.

Its all Centralisation and Mercantilism vs free trade and decentralisation. And its obvious that most advisers want the economy and the country decentralised for their own gains. And I'm afraid that Erik will have to pull off a Louis XIV manouver if he wants to further his goals and become a more active PC.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: September 12, 2011, 08:05:43 pm »

Yknow. I was going to be more or less neutral on the whole thing. And then this.
So I reckon I'll be supporting good ol Tearakudo A'valti. I just keep getting reasons to support him. Strange that. Hmm. *shrugs and whittles*
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #3125 on: September 12, 2011, 08:07:15 pm »

I love how your taking a game that takes place in a medieval society and meant for role-playing, and you turning it into a big merchant sim.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: September 12, 2011, 08:10:59 pm »

Remember when we fought things?

EDIT: It's already been pointed out that merchants are changing the way this game is played. Let's not go down that road. I think, soon enough, we'll be able to get back to the actual game.

Edit2: removed part of the first edit because I got unnecessarily angry.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:16:21 pm by thatkid »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #3127 on: September 12, 2011, 08:13:32 pm »

Remember when we fought things?

I miss having shit blow up in my face *reminisces*
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: September 12, 2011, 08:15:08 pm »

Kain misses burning random things, murdering people, and killing soliders, now its all just politics and charades...

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: September 12, 2011, 08:15:25 pm »

Hey, i'm not the one who rules the country or steals crowns and stabs people. Its up to you to do it, and you could simply crush trubaldsome if you raised new regiments. Or invade Suul. Or something.
I'm just here to provide money. Besides i wanted to do bit more with the entire merchant thing, but so far i got stuck on the guild thing.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:18:55 pm by Ardas »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: September 12, 2011, 08:18:38 pm »

Hey, i'm not the one who rules the country or steals crowns and stabs people. Its up to you to do it, and you could simply crush trubaldsome if you raised new regiments. Or invade Suul. Or something.
I'm just here to provide money for those who are smart enough to take advantage of it. Besides i wanted to do bit more with the entire merchant thing, but so far i got stuck on the guild thing.

I think he might have tried to say we weren't smart because we did'nt take advantage of his merchant-thing.

So, you think Hans would rather like to be beheaded or hanged?

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: September 12, 2011, 08:19:25 pm »

Hanged until half dead, hands chopped off then burnt, is what Kain would do.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: September 12, 2011, 08:21:48 pm »

Wow, now we are going places. Places which I don't like. But fine, decide whatever, I will take my  merchant crap elswhere. Beyond Elbreth.

E: By now I have enough money to hire ships or mercs and cause some trouble, because it seems that you guys need something to chop and kill. But not me. I'm too soft and weak to be a good opponent.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:24:11 pm by Ardas »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: September 12, 2011, 08:35:31 pm »

You are playing a game with other people. The only people whom you must compete with are these other people. Are you surprised that there is opposition to your plans? If so, stop whining and go play another game.

If not, then what are you even rambling about?

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: September 12, 2011, 11:08:03 pm »

Erik should know about it because I believe he introduced himself as a member. But the whole point I was trying to make was that monopolies are always bad. You're essentially giving out the ability to have a stranglehold over the economy, which is more power than the nobles truly have. The king makes taxes, but they're much less than profits in trade.

Im working on edits to the trade system that will make it harder for us to gain so much so fast. Since nobles only get their land taxes and we can make 3-6d in a single trip
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 634