Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289398 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #1080 on: August 19, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »

They each had a map. Preston's was the one with a bucketload of bridges and rivers.

EDIT: Then which wall is Miring manning?
The inner one. You've presumably already taken the outer one, if Trubaldsome needed his men to sneak out in order to reach the port.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: August 19, 2011, 03:19:11 pm »

Then I simply destroy their navy and disrupt trade. My knowledge of the map led to the choice to attack

Hence, No attack.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: August 19, 2011, 03:19:23 pm »

Miring is manning the inner bailey, what you could consider the castle proper.  The lower outer wall around the port is the outer bailey, which can be used to defend against a land attack.  Defenders traditionally would retreat to the inner bailey when the outer bailey was lost, although in Miring's case it would retreat as soon as its wooden wall of a navy failed.

Which we can safely assume it has done now.  Whoever wins is going to seriously want to look at building a sea wall afterwards, though. >_>

Edit:  If your attack plan was dependent on pulling off an automatic flank, you really should have mentioned that earlier on.  As it was, I was just going to run the 'scale the walls' tactic.

Edit 2:  Wait up.  Does that mean neither of you are attacking the castle at all?

Edit 3:  Gods damn it.  Player vote, because I'm split on my adjudication.  I could grant a Tactics bonus to pulling off a flank because of my mapmaking issues (since they would have lost the outer bailey), but I seriously do not want to give a precedent to rules-lawyering here.  What do we think?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:23:26 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: August 19, 2011, 03:21:50 pm »

My plan was assuming there were no significant defenses between me and the fortress. If I'm still facing a +3 Castle bonus, and all his troops, Then -Expletive- -That- -Noise-.

Edit: I was basing my plan on a map (that I likely saw while IN miring.) That would allow me to manage some measure of advantage against the defenders, to eliminate their ridiculous advantage in that fortress, with bows, and so on. If such an advantage does not exist..

Hell I even went down to the port to meet with the Suulian privateers, I know the fortress layout, the port layout, everything simply by precedent of having been there. I would not walk into a suicidal fight. I'll sink their ships and go from there.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:26:58 pm by Terenos »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: August 19, 2011, 03:24:46 pm »

My plan was assuming there were no significant defenses between me and the fortress. If I'm still facing a +3 Castle bonus, and -Expletive- -that- -noise-.

Given that I had not specifically stated this as a weakness, why would you assume I would have negated the Castle bonus automatically?  Fair enough if I had, but if I hadn't asked about tactics now I would have just run this as a straight attack without any of this coming up.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: August 19, 2011, 03:25:27 pm »

Maybe a flank roll at base value (AKA no difficulty modifiers. Still adding the bonuses though) is a fair compromise?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: August 19, 2011, 03:26:08 pm »

Remember that scaling the walls negates their defense modifier, and scaling a wall isn't that difficult at the moment.
You could pull it off.

E: I'm going to suggest you guys go through with an attempt to scale the walls, and then if that succeeds attempt a flank once you've done so. If only for dramatic effect. Make the new year come in with a bang!

Actually...
Since they're both attacking from different sides, maybe the flank check can be automatically made as a separate check akin to the automagic splitting forces check but only if they both succeed in scaling the wall?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:30:59 pm by thatkid »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: August 19, 2011, 03:26:14 pm »

What the shit? Now you're canceling the attack because you got scared? It's just a few walls. You filthy, rotten cowards! I'll come down there and show you how a real man acts!

Terenos' men still need to scale the walls first, right?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: August 19, 2011, 03:28:40 pm »

aww... common I'm an hour into making art for the battle, you can't pull out now  >:(
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: August 19, 2011, 03:30:45 pm »

You could still make it, it just won't be canon.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: August 19, 2011, 03:31:52 pm »

Come on guys, I've stayed up this late to see this battle. Don't fuck it up now. You're not thinking from an RP perspective, you're thinking from a gameplay perspective, and that's... a bit annoying.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: August 19, 2011, 03:32:39 pm »

Edit: I was basing my plan on a map (that I likely saw while IN miring.) That would allow me to manage some measure of advantage against the defenders, to eliminate their ridiculous advantage in that fortress, with bows, and so on. If such an advantage does not exist..

Hell I even went down to the port to meet with the Suulian privateers, I know the fortress layout, the port layout, everything simply by precedent of having been there. I would not walk into a suicidal fight. I'll sink their ships and go from there.

Okay.  That is a better reason.  I could permit an advantage to scaling the walls from in-depth knowledge of the castle, since Trubaldsome's men haven't had time to adjust the defences properly since they took residence.  But that's as much of a concession as I'd be willing to make.

The question now is whether Taric will be attacking if Terenos does not.

Since they're both attacking from different sides, maybe the flank check can be automatically made as a separate check akin to the automagic splitting forces check but only if they both succeed in scaling the wall?

Actually, that's not a bad idea.  I could run with that instead.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:34:56 pm by Iituem »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: August 19, 2011, 03:33:37 pm »

I think you guys have good odds here. Especially with the +1 roll bonus from Taric's Royal Tactician Unit.

If a battle doesn't take place, I will be so very disappointed.

Also, from an RP perspective if you massacred the civilians and then didn't move to finish this soon the King probably wouldn't be too happy.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: August 19, 2011, 03:34:44 pm »

Actually, it's also from an RP perspective too. Terenos only does risky things if:
A: It's the only way
B: The most effective way.

And I'm guessing Terenos' character is a pragmatic sort of person...

EDIT: I'm not attracking if Terenos isn't. And we're killing them off slowly...

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: August 19, 2011, 03:35:43 pm »

Even from an RP perspective, My position is unassailable.

Or did you forget who was in charge of Miring's defense, if only briefly? If a path from A(The port) to B(The castle) Still goes up against the fullc astle defense bonus, then I have no reason to chance it. Not when an assured victory awaits me if I wait.
So yeah.. No reason to start anything. Be disappointed, I am a little. I thought it would make for a great battle if they were at one side massacring Taricus, while I was sneaking into the castle from behind to cut them down.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 634