Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Volcanic bedrooms..  (Read 2575 times)

Volcanic bedrooms..
« on: August 14, 2011, 06:15:18 pm »

Perhaps a bit misleading title.. But, maybe not..
If I put my bedrooms not too far from a volcano, will that have any effect on my dwarfs?
I know this may be a stupid question, but I really don't know..

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanic bedrooms..
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:21:33 pm »

Increased likelihood of them burning to death.

A con if they are useful, a pro if they are a noble you might need to eliminate.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:23:14 pm »

Increased likelihood of them burning to death.

A con if they are useful, a pro if they are a noble you might need to eliminate.
I should've known, sorry to waste your time

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:52:03 pm »

Volcanoes don't erupt, so your dwarves are perfectly safe unless you tamper with the lava in some way.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:53:47 pm »

Volcanoes don't erupt, so your dwarves are perfectly safe unless you tamper with the lava in some way.
!!Dorfs!! inbound. Now.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:01:04 am »

More specifically, there's no heat conduction in the game, so they can live on the next tile over from a volcano quite safely. 

However, the closer a dorf is to lava, the more likely is they will find some reason to dodge into it.  Given a choice of dodging in the opposite direction of the lava, or towards the lava, they will always decide to dodge toward lava. It's just the way dorfs are.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 12:06:55 am »

Ah, yes. And you know what? That's why every single one of my workshops is built over the mouth of the volcano. Constantly, I'm hoping that the dwarves will fall in..But it never happens.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 12:49:51 am »

I thought stuff in stockpiles directly beside magma sometimes overheated and burned?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 04:17:04 am »

I've seen a few items spontaneously combust ontop of [color=FUCKINGALERTGAIZ!]WARM[/color] stone.  but I think that was like, some crazy MAGMA RAIN or lava crab incident, or something. (btw, whars my exploding beer barrels? D: )

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 05:25:53 am »

There totally is heat conduction--otherwise you would never get the "miner cancels dig"/annoying pause warning. Don't think its deadly though
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 05:33:38 am »

Yeah, but AFAIK that only happens with stones directly adjacent to a volcano. I think conduction here is meant that stones that are adjacent to those get hot as well.

Anyway, I have a volcano in my current fort and have a few bedrooms adjacent to it. Nice obsidian room with a heated wall.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Agent Fransis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 06:04:47 am »

The conduction he meant is air conduction, AKA convection. In real life you can't stand next to a pool of lava without burning up in the same fashion that a large fire feels very hot even a few dozen meters away.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 06:05:30 am »

More specifically, there's no heat conduction in the game, so they can live on the next tile over from a volcano quite safely.

When did that change? I remember miners burning to death while mining my way toward volcano. Oh, I remember them well :) A bunch of brave peasant-volunteers with hardly any mining skills, equipped with copper picks, who went there to save lives of their precious skilled friends.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 07:33:55 am »

I remember starting with a lead cage, the next moment my seven dwarves were flooded with boiling lead and the booze was in flames.... Terrible sight... the burning booze, of course.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 08:10:07 am »

The conduction he meant is air conduction, AKA convection. In real life you can't stand next to a pool of lava without burning up in the same fashion that a large fire feels very hot even a few dozen meters away.
Conduction in air is very different from convection, and what you describe in the second sentence is radiation.
Sorry, that was annoying me.

There is a thermal gradient of sorts, but it's very steep and doesn't really change over time like you might expect it to.  As Ullrich said, your dwarves are safe unless until they make physical contact with the lava.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.
Pages: [1] 2