Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ...and then Etur went 'Shit, let's be dwarves'.  (Read 1874 times)

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
...and then Etur went 'Shit, let's be dwarves'.
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:49:08 pm »

TL;DR version at the end

I generated a new world for a certain project i had in mind (31.25, vanilla, no custom tilesets, medium region, 12 titans, endyear 200, 500 scarcity, levels above layer 1: 10). I was looking through the five dwarven civs playable, and i noticed something weird.

Out of the five civilizations, by the year 200 only 2 are officially alive, of which only one is flourishing with a mountainhome and a couple of colonies. The other has no capital and an exiled royal couple. But i won't talk about these two, i'll talk about one of the three seemingly dead ones.

Veludil, the Lined Lantern.

Details and chronology for those interested in them:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Lined Lantern is your typical underdog civilization that the rare times when it isn't struggling against famine, it is promptly getting thrashed around by (semi)(mega)beasts and night creatures, who in turn weaken it for the next famine. Its members never rose to be a threat to other civilizations, they never conquered or got conquered, yet suffered a lot. By the year 120 it was virtually nonexistent, with its four mountain halls, close together and perched on the same small massif (called The Sunny Spine of Knights) near the low center of the map, apparently devoid of life.

Apparently.

In the year 177, after a silence long 57 years, began the Crazed Conflict, 'Amativesifa'.
The Autumn of Growths, a belligerent elven civilization that flourished in the jungles north east of the Sunny Spine of Knights, decided to attack Pointtrades of the Lined Lanterns for a dispute over truthfulness, the treatment of plants and animals (whenever i check the reason of the conflict in legends it cycles among these three).

The attackers were led by the princess Cimathi Roundlions (who will get killed the next year by a cyclops), and the defenders.. well, there was nobody to lead them. It got called Palothi Utha, 'the Onslaught of Crushing': 343 creatures (9 killed) against 11 humans (?), 5 elves (!?), all lost. The 'dwarves' got defeated and Pointtrades pillaged.

The next year, 178, after 58 years of silence, the new ruler is the human queen Etur Inkylantern. The appointed general is human as well, Deduk Wheeledblazed, whose husband is Milo Armorconvents, one of the lords of the Homely Kingdoms since 175 (he'll die the next year to a dusk freak).
The Homely Kingdoms is a human civilization that got attacked and warred several times against the Autumn of Growths plus another elven civ and a goblin one, since year 2. They lost several cities and got pillaged many times, but they always managed to fight back, recover and expand. As a result of its history, around one quarter to half of its members are elves.

Both queen Etur and general Deduk are listed as belonging to the Lined Lantern and the Homely Kingdoms, and the group that founded Pointtrades in 107, the Mysterious Rack; while Milo is listed as belonging only to the human civ.

Year 180- Palothi Tima, 'the Onslaught of Sieging', the second and last part of the Crazed Conflict, who will culminate in the destruction of Pointtrades. This time 347 creatures (no losses) against 15 humans and 17 elves, all slain.
Romimi Slinghides, male elf princess since 179 (will get killed in 190 by a dusk horror) led the attack, and Deduk Wheeledblazed the defense.

Queen Etur and the general got devoured respectively by a giant jaguar and a giant leopard. Dunem Knightsung, 1 year old daughter of Deduk and Milo, got drowned by Mame Beakcudgels, who will become the druid of the Autumn of Growths next year (he'll starve two seasons later). Dunem's brother, Meng Praiseclasps, born in 179 as well (perhaps they were twins?) managed to flee in the nearby Swamp of Showers.

In the midwinter of the same year the elves of the Autumn of Growths rejected the offer of peace from the Lined Lantern.

Year 191- Meng Praiseclasps, who survived in the swamp for 11 years, comes of age and become the new general.

===================

Questions and considerations:

-Is the occupation of abandoned sites implemented somehow?
At least some, but probably all, of the human and elven inhabitants listed among the defenders of Pointtrades were culturally dwarves, with dwarven names, worshipping dwarven deities. How did this happen, when the Lined Lantern never even waged war over other civilizations, let alone conquered any of their outposts?
Obviously they weren't snatched and reformed. I doubt too Etur's and Deduk's parents got such an amazing foresight to choose a dwarven name for their daughters, decades before they and their group decided to take over the deserted Pointtrades. Their pages in legends lists unknown parentage, they could even be born in Pointtrades, but what prompted in first place those human and elves from the Homely Kingdoms to settle there?

-Mother and son (Deduk Kolsakrith, Meng Libaddodok) biologically human, but culturally dwarven. Father and daughter (Milo Stalconellum, Dunem Ranethruni) biologically and culturally human. Why and how the game decided to split the family cultural background this way?

-Shouldn't the civilization, indeed playable, still be at war with the elves?

-When did the elves learn about dogbombing? They aren't even listed between the attackers, only as leaders behind the scenes, unleashing hundreds of big cats like some proactive damnatio ad bestias, ready to get directly involved only when it's needed that personal touch to drown a toddler?!

Please note, i'm not used to legends mode. I know about Cacame, and the recent human queen thread, and the male princess bug, so perhaps all of this is pretty normal and standard, but it seemed unusual to me, and i apologize if this isn't the right section of the forum to post about this. What do you think?

TL;DR : An empty mountain hall (whose founding, technically dead, dwarven civ never interacted with anybody) gets spontaneously defended by a group of members from a human civ, who adopts the local dwarven culture.

Edit: uploaded on Dwarf Fortress File Depot.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:32:47 pm by Triccispicci »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: ...and then Etur went 'Shit, let's be dwarves'.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:16:30 pm »

I think it's awesome you got so curious about it and did such a research on legends mode. And I think it's confusing as well.

Also, if there was a volcano near those Autumn of Growths elves, I'd dig it and drown then in magma.
300+ creatures versus less than 20 civilians, that COULD be dwarves?

Even if there was no volcano, I'd dig and bring hell's lava and demons upon those elves.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 05:57:54 pm »

My councience forced me to stop reading due to my history test tomorrow,i'll tell ya something:I do not want to start writing about elves on my f***** test!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:04:45 pm »

I like legends mode, and i have seen that sometimes humans or even elves can inherit mountain halls or even entire dwarven kingdoms. However, i never stopped to check wheter those humans and elves adopt dwarven names and worship dwarven gods.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:13:46 pm »

See: Cacame
He has an entire wiki article.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 07:31:12 pm »

While I can't answer your questions, I do have to applaud your record keeping.  You're quite a historian!

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 09:09:04 pm »

See: Cacame
He has an entire wiki article.
See: Bottom of his post
"I know about Cacame"
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 09:12:29 pm »

Ah, my mistake then.  Yes, it's a similar moment.  One civ that defeats another civ and subjugates them, can sometimes be elected/promoted to political power.  Alternatively, members of other civs are known to migrate with some small percentages.  While unusual, it's not unheard of to find elves and dwarves living in human towns.  In fact, Toady is directly aiming to allow even certain very altruistic goblins to migrate into human towns.  Still, a good-hearted goblin will cut your throat, but you get the idea.  I've never looked much into it, but I assume these non-native migrants could attain power.  I once enjoyed a minotaur mayor, once I modded them to be tamable.  If it can talk, it can gain social skills and become a mayor.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 10:34:57 pm »

The human/elven minorities acquiring dwarven names strikes me as a bit odd, though. I don't know for certain if mixed marriages are possible yet, but even if they are I'm pretty certain they can't produce children, and traditional names are usually the last thing to go even in a mostly-assimilated minority.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 11:16:08 pm »

I think Toady actually addressed this, but I may be lying through my teeth here, that many migrants and migrant children would take a name from their new home, as an attempt to assimilate.  I think it may have been a bug, but is now a feature.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 01:17:28 am »

Dog bombing? I'm waiting for this in fort mode.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 04:04:23 am »

Many thanks for the compliments :D

Yeah, i'm sorry for the confusing way i wrote, i've updated the original post with a TL;DR version.

Migration and spontaneous inheriting should explain all of this quite a bit, but Pointtrades is a mountain hall. I didn't expect members of a foreign civ that never interacted with them to go dwarven.
Even if all of this was only a case of silent expansion by the humans, claiming a deserted land, with Etur Inkylantern inheriting the mountain halls, i was expecting her to be culturally human, and not claiming to be a part of the original group that founded the fortress in 107.

At that point, i sort of assumed, that the mere place of birth sets the culture for the individual. But it's a flawed theory.

It is very possible for Etur (born in 147), Deduk Wheeledblazed (born in 148) and her son Meng (b.179) to be born in Pointtrades, since when the attack started in 177 it was already inhabited, and Etur got named queen and Deduk general only the year after; it makes plenty of sense to elect a local dweller as the leader.

Milo never set foot on Pointtrades, spending his whole late life in his human fortress, and is in fact listed as belonging only to the Homely Kingdoms. Dunem, in her very short life, got listed as belonging to the Lined Lantern, the Homely Kingdoms, and the Mysterious Rack, just like her brother.

I don't know how to explain the cultural difference between brother and sister, unless Dunem was born in human lands and Meng in Pointtrades (very possible, as it is already proven that generals always move to the mountainhome).

I'll start a fortress with this civilization when i can, to see if they send caravan and liaison and if i get more than two migrant waves.

Dog bombing? I'm waiting for this in fort mode.
Whoops, i guess i didn't use the right term. I meant when players on their fortresses cram dozens of any kind of carnivore in a cage connected to a lever, to release them on invaders.

So, i get that the attackers listed as hundred of 'creatures' doesn't mean literally beasts, but sapient beings + beasts? Because that would explain that drowning out of nowhere.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 09:26:41 am »

I figured you just meant spamming the battlefield with small creatures, it would make sieges a little more !fun!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 09:43:22 am »

Well, the creatures may have actually been tamed animals, such as mounts used by the elves, if possible, you may want to check the elven civ's history for people who tamed animals (there're plenty, perhaps in the near-Past?). Perhaps the creatures went berserk (tamed Elephants or tamed dragons...) while their riders were killed by the defenders. Also, dunno what region this is in, but they might be undead or simply some local wildlife as well.

I'm not at home when it comes to Legends mode (I love browsing it though), but I'm betting the previously mentioned migrating might be the key... Also, they could have actually assimilated some humans who were under the control of the elves?
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread