Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Armor use  (Read 2116 times)

PastryT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor use
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:53:42 am »

Hey all

Having played fortress mode for awhile I decided to give adventurer mode ago. Now, as you can probably tell, I am some what of a nOOb and I am having problem with armor (or armour If I want to be picky). I made my elf an armor user however, having got some armor after killing some people with hilarious names,  I find myself unable to equip it. I'll point out that yes I don't have it stored as it is in my hand.

Any help would be appreciated :)

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor use
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:06:28 am »

I assume you were killing humans and their armour would be too large for you to wear.

Och skänk henne dessa vinflaskor in bed henne dricka all sorg ur sitt sinn.

PastryT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:27:07 am »

Ah, I didn't think about that.

I'll find some smaller armour and see what happens. Thanks :)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 02:47:28 pm »

It's not possible for smaller armour unless you survive and somehow manage to kill a goblin ambush party.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 03:12:50 pm »

I dont see why people find anyone without armour is pretty much doomed. I have lasted a long time with just the starting equipment.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 04:05:10 pm »

I dont see why people find anyone without armour is pretty much doomed.
You are.

Take two adventurers, one with a full set of iron armor and one with the starting clothing. The first guy gets shot at by a crossbowman bandit, and the iron bolt strikes the adventurer in the upper body.  The bolt would have torn into the adventurer's heart, BUT the bolt is deflected.
HOWEVER, if the second adventurer gets shot in the same place by the same bolt fired by the same guy, the bolt would tear into the adventurer, hitting his heart, which causes bleed-out in 3 turns after getting shot (yes, this fate happened to my elf adventurer once).

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 05:38:00 pm »

While I certainly wouldn't recommend fighting without armor, I've never had trouble living long enough to kill enough enemies to get my armor.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

jackhammer_v2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 11:37:30 am »

I have, personally. I'm totally new to the game and I get armor but can't equip... However I think the sizing brought up earlier may have been my problem.

I think I just need to learn how to retreat instead of try to win. This isn't Call of Duty after all.

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 06:22:32 pm »

You are.

Take two adventurers, one with a full set of iron armor and one with the starting clothing. The first guy gets shot at by a crossbowman bandit, and the iron bolt strikes the adventurer in the upper body.  The bolt would have torn into the adventurer's heart, BUT the bolt is deflected.
HOWEVER, if the second adventurer gets shot in the same place by the same bolt fired by the same guy, the bolt would tear into the adventurer, hitting his heart, which causes bleed-out in 3 turns after getting shot (yes, this fate happened to my elf adventurer once).

Thanks for the common sense lesson, Captain Obvious.

Get a shield, problem solved. I've played hundreds of adventurers and many to the point of killing every megabeast and titan with not a single piece of armour. You are not doomed, and I know this from over a thousand hours of experience playing adventure mode.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 06:40:49 pm »

This isn't Call of Duty
If you mod it correctly, it somewhat is.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 08:31:14 pm »

Get a shield, problem solved. I've played hundreds of adventurers and many to the point of killing every megabeast and titan with not a single piece of armour. You are not doomed, and I know this from over a thousand hours of experience playing adventure mode.
Over my own thousands of hours of experience playing Adventurer Mode, I know that the chance of catastrophe is never eliminated, only reduced. It literally takes only one bad hit to disable you and end your adventurer's life, so it is definitely worth your time to make sure that you're kitted out with full bronze armor to minimize the chances of such a hit.

It's not about the one adventurer you get that kills every megabeast, but about the thousand others you lose from a broken ankle or wrist that would have been less likely had you spent time buying armor.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 11:10:56 am »

Over my own thousands of hours of experience playing Adventurer Mode, I know that the chance of catastrophe is never eliminated, only reduced. It literally takes only one bad hit to disable you and end your adventurer's life, so it is definitely worth your time to make sure that you're kitted out with full bronze armor to minimize the chances of such a hit.

It's not about the one adventurer you get that kills every megabeast, but about the thousand others you lose from a broken ankle or wrist that would have been less likely had you spent time buying armor.

My point was that not having armour doesn't mean it's the end of the game, which is what UristMcHuman was implying. I have actually had about 20 adventurers that have killed everything and only lost maybe 6 in the past year, and played and got bored of another 200+. I don't see why so many people view Adventure mode as being so difficult. It really isn't.

On shields: On average, with a shield (which I always have) only 0.5-2% of attacks actually get through, and out of those only about 20% of those get deep enough to scar. Shields are definitely more than just a mild afterthought of protection.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 07:22:16 pm »

Skilling up your throwing, along with sneaking, is a good way to allow you to collect small size armor, along with loot to buy weapons. Another fun way is to just build a mini fort, whose express purpose is to provide small size armor for dwarves, and other non human adventurers.
 Just remember, dwarf and elf adventurers cannot wear human sized armor.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 01:21:36 am »

You are.

Same thing happened to me earlier.

Sneaked up behind a Bowman ringleader. He turned around, shot one arrow straight in my chest. I managed to run away and sleep though. Don't know why he didn't follow.

The next day, I wrestled away his arrows, broke all of his bones and threw 20 arrows at his broken, but still living, body.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 01:46:23 pm »

I get by just fine without shields or armor. And it's fun. Try not doing the exact same thing every time sometimes; you might actually enjoy losing.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.
Pages: [1] 2