Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Emulating Amiga games  (Read 5566 times)

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Emulating Amiga games
« on: August 14, 2011, 03:59:32 am »

Okay this is a bit weird. I want to play the old games on Amiga. The specific games I would like to play are Kings bounty and Bards tale. Kings bounty gives an error that character cannot be created whereas I haven't yet tried Bards tale. I am using winuae
Also, while you are at it, could someone point out list of good games on the amiga?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Emulating Amiga games
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:49:53 am »

I have no idea what an Amiga is, but I can play Kings Bounty (the old one) perfectly fine with Vista.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 09:04:31 am »

I have no idea what an Amiga is

:'( This makes me sad ... Pound for Pound it was the best gaming experience I have ever had (possibly tinged heavily with nostalgic forces) ...

Some games off the top of my head that might be worth checking out (some also available on PC):

Syndicate, Flood, Skidmarks, Cannon Fodder, Barbarian (+2), Shadow of the Beast (bitchin' tunes), Gods, Speedball 2, Biplane Duel, Jetstrike, Wings of Fury, Supercars, Supercars 2 ... Rick Dangerous (and 2?) ... Sensible World of Soccer?

I'm sure there are more, but these ones immediately spring to mind ...

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 10:43:42 am »

Moonstone, Rampage, Loom and two I just can't seem to recall the name of.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 11:11:08 am »

Settlers, and that weirdo 3d helicopter shooter. I forget what it was called

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 11:20:36 am »

...that weirdo 3d helicopter shooter. I forget what it was called
Zeewolf I think. Also Captive, Superfrog, Pinball Dreams/Fantasies/Illusions. Lemon Amiga is a good place for info.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 11:59:51 am »

Okay this is a bit weird. I want to play the old games on Amiga. The specific games I would like to play are Kings bounty and Bards tale. Kings bounty gives an error that character cannot be created whereas I haven't yet tried Bards tale. I am using winuae
Also, while you are at it, could someone point out list of good games on the amiga?

I've had Kings Bounty run straight out of the box on Windows Vista (and yes I'm talking about the original one from around 1990) so I suspect its more of a problem with your specific set-up.
I usually use D-Fend Reloaded for playing my classics and since the PC version of Kings Bounty is identical to the Amiga version, you really shouldn't have any trouble.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 12:09:36 pm »

:'( This makes me sad ... Pound for Pound it was the best gaming experience I have ever had (possibly tinged heavily with nostalgic forces) ...
Sorry for being born two decades to late :P

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 12:33:40 pm »

Sorry for being born two decades to late :P

No problem, I forgive you, man ;)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 10:35:15 pm »

WinUAE works pretty well, I used to it to play Roadwar

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 11:33:43 pm »

Some games off the top of my head that might be worth checking out (some also available on PC):

Syndicate, Flood, Skidmarks, Cannon Fodder, Barbarian (+2), Shadow of the Beast (bitchin' tunes), Gods, Speedball 2, Biplane Duel, Jetstrike, Wings of Fury, Supercars, Supercars 2 ... Rick Dangerous (and 2?) ... Sensible World of Soccer?

I'm sure there are more, but these ones immediately spring to mind ...
I never had an Amiga, but a lot of those titles made it to Microsoft DoS,
Was the Amiga architecturally different from a modern PC?
Thank you based dwarf.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 02:35:03 am »

Kings bounty gives an error that character cannot be created

I can't speak specifically for WinUAE, but I've seen similar problems emulating games in general. Usually the problem relates to the fact that the game expects characters to be saved to a floppy disk.

However, a quick google search turns up this solution for "cannot create a character" in King's Bounty under WinUAE.

haven't yet tried Bards tale

I have the PC version, so I've never tried it but I've read that the music in the Amiga version was notoriously awesome.

could someone point out list of good games on the amiga?

Top 100 Amiga games of all time. Though note that an awful lot of entries in that list aren't unique to the Amiga. Dune, Civilization, Lemmings, Settlers...a lot of titles people who had never heard of an Amiga might have played on other platforms. The only reason to go to the Amiga, apart from nostalgia, is that its hardware was vastly superior to pretty much anything else avaialable at the time. So, if there's some particular ancient game you like, or have heard of, check to see if there's an Amiga version of it and it stands a reasonable chance of being better than the PC or Mac version.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 03:56:30 am »

I don't know enough about it to answer this question, but there seems to be a reasonably detailed wikipedia article on the Amiga. As said previously it appears it was pretty good for it's time.

I never twigged that 'Amiga' is (obviously) the feminine version of 'Amigo'. Nice branding, Commodore, even though it went well over my head.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 04:07:28 am »

I don't know enough about it to answer this question, but there seems to be a reasonably detailed wikipedia article on the Amiga. As said previously it appears it was pretty good for it's time.

I never twigged that 'Amiga' is (obviously) the feminine version of 'Amigo'. Nice branding, Commodore, even though it went well over my head.
I read the Wikipedia article myself to figure out what this thing was, and the concept of different companies making non-compatible computer systems.
So was the Amgia to PC's like what Mac's where to PCs in the 90s?

Is it kinda like an MSX?

For some reason I kept hearing of this thing and imaging it being used like a home console.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:10:53 am by PsyberianHusky »
Thank you based dwarf.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 05:29:14 am »

Kind of, yeah, except through a much more unstable and ever developing marketplace. In the 90s the Macs and the PCs were slugging it out after everyone else had fallen by the wayside, essentially, I suppose.

The home computer's history lies in specified architecture systems which are not compatible with their contemporaries. When I was 9 yrs old (UK perspective here - 1988) I couldn't share my Commodore 64 games with my friend who had a ZX spectrum. But much like the modern PC, and unlike a console, all the processing was done inside the box and most of the data was held elsewhere (with some exceptions - the C64 had a 'cartridge' port in the back for example). By putting a tape in to a box, the system could read this data in to local memory (typically 32kB or 64kB) and you could play a game.

Then companies developed there products in a straight line, not being interested in offering compatibility for others but just offering their own box. BBC Micros turned in to Archimedes and they populated schools throughout the land (with a decent processing capability but no games catalog to speak of). Commodore 64's turned in to 128's, which turned in to the Amiga 1000 (marketed as a business computer). Then they went for the Amiga 500, which got boxed together at some point with Deluxe Paint and got sold by the shit load for people to play with in their homes. I don't know if Spectrum made a positive step up the technology ladder.

People like me were baffled with the new visual operating system (it took our family a whole day to grasp the concept of the 'double click'), and wondered where we got to program simple BASIC games. Other people got Atari ST's (which were a similar animal, but seemed to be ever so slightly inferior as far as I could tell, possibly as I was what could be termed a 'Fanboy' at the time).

And all the while we had to buy seperate floppy disks with the same game, and we couldn't share with our friends.

Then IBM PC's 'came along', and we scoffed at the EGA graphics and beeps - how could this pretender ever hope to compete with the delicious sound and graphics presented by the Amiga? What fool is investing in this piece of rubbish?

Of course they were far more flexible, and the competition in the hardware market no doubt quickly brought the prices down and drove performance up - as well as the uptake in the workplace.

Commodore collapsed due to poor business practices (I suppose - probably the competition as well) and PCs became the new standard of home computing. Apple stuck around through all the turmoil that finished these companies off, and they now have a nice little niche.

It's interesting thinking back on it! There's as much time going from M.U.L.E. to Frontier: Elite 2 (at the end of the Amiga's life cycle), as there is going from 'Black & White' to 'From Dust'. Goes to show how turbulent the market had to be at the time just to keep up.
Pages: [1] 2