Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ideal drop level?  (Read 2187 times)

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ideal drop level?
« on: August 14, 2011, 03:40:12 am »

If I was making a part of my trap setup some pits, what would be the optimal distance for the average goblin to fall to his death?

also, this is merely temporary, as menacing spikes will be made soon. how exactly do non-moving spikes work? just one wound....and if they don't die, they just chill on the spike?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ideal drop level?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 04:01:10 am »

Well I can tell you that a 4 or 5 z-level drop isn't guaranteed death - that's the depth I usually use and I'd estimate about 30% either die on impact, or very shortly afterwards.  The rest will be heavily injured and start to flee, which is my preference since I have my militia outside the pit exit ready for some easy kills.  I'd guess about 7 or 8 should get you pretty reliable kills before spikes.

I want to say the spikes 'attack' 3 times each (with up to 10 spikes per trap tile), but I'm not certain.  In any case, if it doesn't kill the goblin they're still mobile - they're not stuck impaled on the spike or anything.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 04:26:26 am »

i wasn't talking about spike traps, simply upright spikes....those hurt things, right?

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 04:37:24 am »

Upright spike/spear trap will only work if you have it hooked to a lever or pressure plate. The trap will only trigger if the lever is pulled or the pressure plate stepped on. To my knowlege, each spear/spike in the trap will only strike once; but you can put up to 10 spears/spikes per trap giving the potential of 10 hits a trap.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 04:40:23 am »

There is no "ideal drop level". The more z-levels, the merrier.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 05:00:30 am »

There is no "ideal drop level". The more z-levels, the merrier.

umm... not quite. I had a 50 z level drop for my temple of blood, and hen I had a 20 something goblin line dropped down, there were like 5 goblins who crawled away. Just make shoure they dont drop right after each other.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 05:02:36 am »

that is heartbreaking. i can't put spikes at the bottom of my pits to impale goblins without extra work?

=(((((((((

Iaksones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 05:08:54 am »

My good OP, pit traps are a part of my fortress defence as well. I will share what I know:

Eight Z levels of free fall paired hard rock surface will not kill every goblin that plummets down your welcome chasm. Sad but true as Metallica says. Upright spikes won't always do it either, I'm afraid. This is why use my dwarven plumbing to drown the rascals should they accidentally live (i.e. crawl around with broken bodies for an annoyingly long time). Water preserves the goblinite compared to magma.

The only issue I've had with my spiked pit trap/drowning pit was the time four crippled trolls swam around in the pit. They floated while the goblins and humans in the pit died, and when I drained the pit in frustration, one troll got sucked through my fortifications and into my plumbing (unscathed, I was disappointed) and down and around the waterways of my fortress. I had a little fun! removing him and his comrades. Oh, and a horse was with the trolls too.

But I digress. Here are my observations:
 8 z level drop on 10 wooden menacing spikes won't always kill a goblin or troll or human (or horse).
 The logs report the bodies striking the ground with reports like "Right upper arm was shattered" and "Left upper leg bone was jammed right through lower body"
 Next, logs report spinning menacing spikes doing brutal damage to random places (once each)
 Vomiting or death may occur
Sometimes dead goblins get stuck on the spike trap, viewable with [t]. Gore-anteed amusement!

Upright Spike/Spear traps work for this purpose without any triggers. Simply make a trap of spikes and gravity will do the rest.
 I've done this setup with 2x8 floor hatches linked to two pressure pads at the far end as well as a retracting bridge. The work basically the same with a few differences
 - The floor hatches are basically instantaneous: the lead goblin will set off the trap, and the little goblin followers go AAAAAaaaaaaaaaah! immediately.
 - the bridge takes a second to activate, which can mean 2 or more goblins can get past the trap, but since it is delayed, it works excellently for catching those goblins when they inevitably break and run.

Hope that helps! Have fun splatting goblins
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:10:57 am by Iaksones »

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 05:14:52 am »

nice! those are all going to the fortress defense idea stockpile.

right now, i'm thinkin a small bridge, with blade traps, and on each side, a 10 z fall onto spikes. hopefully, the dodgy bastards will go right off the edge...

Iaksones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 05:21:40 am »

Remember to account for cleaning up. Water, fortifications with novice marksdwarves stationed, remote controlled doors with fierce animals behind them--these and more can take care of (un)lucky survivors.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 05:24:28 am »

People seem not to realize, that landing on upright spikes, as long as they are open (They are open when built by default) when something lands on them, they get damaged.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 05:36:13 am »

Well... OP , 10 z-level is the rule of thumn level for me when i make my pit traps. Usually kills most goblins , about 60% , the rest crawl around trailing broken bones or what have u. Just place a squad below to mop up any survivors.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 05:37:38 am »

People seem not to realize, that landing on upright spikes, as long as they are open (They are open when built by default) when something lands on them, they get damaged.
Sweet, I didnt know that. I'l do tat next time.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 06:27:52 am »

i wasn't talking about spike traps, simply upright spikes....those hurt things, right?
Yeah I know - I was talking about upright spikes too.  As has since been clarified, they'll do damage to anyone that falls more than 1 z-level onto them, with no mechanisms or triggering required.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:29:51 am by Biowraith »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 06:59:55 am »

I use 4z drops. The bottom is filled with Spike Traps, and they are connected to repeaters in alternating rings. Center 4, the 12 surrounding them, and so on. They alternate on/off during a siege.
Pages: [1] 2