Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 633710 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #1020 on: December 20, 2013, 01:21:11 am »

Would adding a no-eat no-drink no-sleep "intelligent" creature to the mix help alleviate the soul attribute atrophy?

Something that can talk, but has no corporeal needs, like a plump helmet man?

That would allow the child to converse, but prevent it from developing a friendship, since that only happens with dwarves.

Since we don't want plumpy to be a combattant, we could put 2 pen/pastures in the test chamber, one with the poultry, and another with plumpy on it. We could do the whole "good creature bad creature" thing with the child, and keep it socially adjusted while we reprogram its little mind.

I don't think that's really very workable. From what I've seen, the peacocks don't give a shit about activity zones in the cell. If I hadn't mercilessly slaughtered all of the animal people that had wandered through my fort, I might give it a try, but I don't think plumpy or any other animal person is likely to pay a whole lot of attention to the pasture. And even if they do, it adds complications to the setup - how do you repasture them if they leave the pasture area? How much space is correct, exactly? Stuff like that.

Finally, I doubt analytical ability is really something to worry about. The wiki informs me that it's only useful for stuff like Student, Animal Trainer, and the like. No child supersoldier needs it.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: December 20, 2013, 01:28:26 am »

Perhaps attach plumpy to a chain near the bed then, so he can't reach the meeting area of feathery doom? Part of the initial equipment?

We've already determined that delivery of goods through the chute is unacceptably dangerous to the potetial supersoldier, so plumpy shouldn't get mooshed or anything.

The lack of social skills will make the supersoldiers produced less likely to attain positions of authority and respect in the fortress, and will make them more likely to develop grudges and other societal ills once they become inducted into the military proper.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #1022 on: December 20, 2013, 04:55:59 am »

I don't think that will work... The animals don't stay in the pasture OR meeting room (probably because they are dodging out of it?) Test Subject A has 10 peacocks in with him and only about 6 are on the fighting square at any one time. Also the soul atrophy isn't so bad... Seem to lose about 4-5 stat points per year (if my first year is anything to go by)

Additionally it seems the children can dodge (or be thrown?) through solid objects... My children/peacocks kept escaping through the statue I'd used as a corner in their room (for mist generation).

I've been considering adding a well into the setup.... That way I only have to worry about food and not booze. Also should give them some swimming training to toughen them up. Not sure if the peacocks will drown though. I will have a look into this later.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: December 21, 2013, 12:37:57 am »

Oddom Agsalzas
First Wave, Subject One of One

Sixth Evaluation - 18th Limestone, 28
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seventh Evaluation - 5th Opal, 28

Eighth Evaluation - 16th Felsite, 29

Ninth Evaluation - 23rd Moonstone, 29

Tenth Evaluation - 17th Granite, 30

Eleventh Evaluation - 17th Opal, 30

Twelfth Evaluation - 27th Slate, 31

Relevant:
  • Went from "poor empathy" to "very bad empathy" between the 10th and 11th Evaluations.
  • Lost her positive creativity stat between the 3rd and 4th Evaluations. (Missed data point in earlier post.)
  • Became "a hardened individual" between the 7th and 8th Evaluations.
  • Stopped caring about anything anymore between the 9th and 10th Evaluations.
  • Between the 10th and 11th evaluations, "slow to tire" and "agile" switched positions in the list of physical attributes.
Current Military Skills:
  • Dabbling Wrestler - 62/500 [+33]
  • Dabbling Striker - 20/500 [No Change]
  • Adequate Fighter - 60/700 [+717]
  • Dabbling Armor User - 318/500 [+162]
  • Novice Dodger - 472/600 [+540]

And a weaponsmith went fey and made this for her to wield when she gets out:
Spoiler: Mace (click to show/hide)

Either that, or I'll add her to the Duchess' squad and the Duchess can train her in the art of lashing. I'm not sure yet.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:47:08 am by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: December 21, 2013, 04:49:27 pm »

I've devised a system to pump magma through my mist generator, so now I will have near-fireproof dwarves and magma! Two dorfiness points for the price of one in three dwarves dying!
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: December 21, 2013, 05:32:25 pm »

I've devised a system to pump magma through my mist generator, so now I will have near-fireproof dwarves and magma! Two dorfiness points for the price of one in three dwarves dying!

I'd call that an acceptable fatality rate, as long as you can keep the tantrum spiral under control.

Pon_Katt

• Bay Watcher
  • GAK!GAK!GAK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: December 21, 2013, 05:41:59 pm »

I would not touch the magma experiments until the basic premise is confirmed to work.  You seem to be on the right track, keep doing what works.  All the mess ups tend to come from accidents from either the player (barrel of ale on the head) to being unprepared for other factors (a siege).
My little voice approves.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: December 21, 2013, 06:09:10 pm »

I'd call that an acceptable fatality rate, as long as you can keep the tantrum spiral under control.

Tantrum spiral? I have mist generators ever 30 Z levels on each of my meeting halls. Very unlikely.

Also children seem to have less melt able fat, as such they take less damage from magma. More !science! must be done. However getting hit with a single magma mist when a child seems to only have a 1/20 mortality rate. Much better than the 1/3 mortality rate when an adult.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: December 21, 2013, 09:41:37 pm »

Oddom Agsalzas
First Wave, Subject One of One

Sixth Evaluation - 18th Limestone, 28

Seventh Evaluation - 5th Opal, 28

Eighth Evaluation - 16th Felsite, 29

Ninth Evaluation - 23rd Moonstone, 29

Tenth Evaluation - 17th Granite, 30

Eleventh Evaluation - 17th Opal, 30

Twelfth Evaluation - 27th Slate, 31

Relevant:
  • Went from "poor empathy" to "very bad empathy" between the 10th and 11th Evaluations.
  • Lost her positive creativity stat between the 3rd and 4th Evaluations. (Missed data point in earlier post.)
  • Became "a hardened individual" between the 7th and 8th Evaluations.
  • Stopped caring about anything anymore between the 9th and 10th Evaluations.
  • Between the 10th and 11th evaluations, "slow to tire" and "agile" switched positions in the list of physical attributes.
Current Military Skills:
  • Dabbling Wrestler - 62/500 [+33]
  • Dabbling Striker - 20/500 [No Change]
  • Adequate Fighter - 60/700 [+717]
  • Dabbling Armor User - 318/500 [+162]
  • Novice Dodger - 472/600 [+540]

And a weaponsmith went fey and made this for her to wield when she gets out:
Spoiler: Mace (click to show/hide)

Either that, or I'll add her to the Duchess' squad and the Duchess can train her in the art of lashing. I'm not sure yet.

Excellent! Those are pretty good stats for a seven year old, and is definitely a nice head start for a future warrior. I also note that between 10 and 11 her "great feel for the surrounding space" switched spots with her "very good feel for social relationships." I'm interested to see if that's indicative of minute attribute shifts, or just an oddity in the way DF loads that information.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: December 22, 2013, 05:05:44 pm »

Has everyone seen the spear dropping EXP exploit?

I've devised a method to dump a load of water and equipment into the chamber, militarize the subject, open a hole in the ground, and have them land flow onto a spike trap. They dodge onto the next spear trap (due to good dodge skill) and gain massive skills in the weapon I've assigned.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: December 25, 2013, 12:53:39 am »

Does anyone know, off hand, if mist will travel Z levels?  In order to avoid the 'dodge through statues' issue, you could make the floor and ceiling into grates or bars, and the mist could travel through them.  This would also allow more compact designs without fear of children talking to each other, since they wouldn't have line of sight to each other in adjacent cells.  As added industry, a lever could be placed in the room with the order to pull it, which the dwarven child will never perform, but will gladly do when they turn 12, and this lever could open the floor grate to reveal the exit stairs.

ALSO I like the idea of having a plump helmet man on a chain in an adjacent room, connected only by a set of fortifications.  The child is mocked by the enormous edible man, who speaks softly and quite friendly, yet not in any meaningful way that conveys true intelligence or emotion.  Being apart from dwarven kind, the purple man doesn't eat or rest, and simply stands, chained to the wall, resting against the carved stone bars, watching the child at all times...

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: December 25, 2013, 02:59:18 pm »

Does anyone know, off hand, if mist will travel Z levels?  In order to avoid the 'dodge through statues' issue, you could make the floor and ceiling into grates or bars, and the mist could travel through them.  This would also allow more compact designs without fear of children talking to each other, since they wouldn't have line of sight to each other in adjacent cells.  As added industry, a lever could be placed in the room with the order to pull it, which the dwarven child will never perform, but will gladly do when they turn 12, and this lever could open the floor grate to reveal the exit stairs.

Yep, mist is very much a multi-z thing. Kinda like miasma like that. The anti-miasma.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: December 25, 2013, 09:12:16 pm »

if that is the case, then I think I can build a compact version of the child daycare center, that includes Plumpy the Daycare Provider, copious mist, stringent segregation, and all that lot.

ChildofSolitude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: January 01, 2014, 01:44:02 am »

I don't think the ethics board will like this one.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: January 01, 2014, 07:44:41 am »

I don't think the ethics board will like this one.

No mere moral and ethical concerns can stand in the way of science!
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 76