Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 633727 times)

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #945 on: April 16, 2013, 01:32:54 pm »

Unfortunate accidents would be great for imposing term limits!
That sort of reminds me of Vault 11 from Fallout: New Vegas.

LaikaBauss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: June 27, 2013, 06:03:56 am »

I just built a daycare at my fort...

Its a 2x2 room with a bed, table and chair, well off one of the walls, empty space for quantum stock, masterwork engravings and forbidden door.

With 1 fem. Dog and 6 pups, the combat seems to be goin well.
But i heard that ultil some age dwarf children are dependant of their mother.

At what age is it safe to dump children at the daycare?

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 27, 2013, 10:12:35 am »

once they become a child, 1 year old, they should be good to go.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Gazza_m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 05, 2013, 08:55:17 am »

Just read through this thread sounds like a great idea but has anyone had any success from it? I've tried it several times but lost the fort before it finishes by invasion or HFS.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 05, 2013, 10:59:23 am »

No, no success so far. It's easier to drop coins over them to train military skills.

Dakeyras

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 15, 2013, 10:58:27 am »

Slight Necro...

I just spend some of the best hours of my life reading this thread. Stuff like this makes me wonder whether Dwarf Fortress is a secret project to find and occupy psychopaths.

Now, to more important things. I'm going to try some !!SCIENCE!! in my fortress as soon as I have enough decent food/furniture to keep the child happy. I will use ~10 peachicks and 1 child in a 1x1 room and see who's left alive after 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and 12 months (I'll stop earlier if the child dies). I may try simultaneous coinstar training with this if it works.

Onwards, for the greater defilement desecration GLORY of the dwarven race!
And Bay12, in all its glory, did bring upon the dwarven realms mass child abuse, and the all-powerful pantheon did perfect this gift given unto dorfkind. And, in celebration, sheep vomit was consumed.
Only in Bay12 you use "depraved" as a compliment 
A short sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

Elastrius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 17, 2013, 05:42:09 pm »

Passage related, Judge Holden's argument for Dwarven Daycare (and an observation of Dwarfiness in general) in the book Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy:

None spoke. The judge sat half naked and sweating for all the night was cool. At length
the expriest Tobin looked up.

It strikes me, he said, that either son is equal in the way of disadvantage. So what is
the way of raising a child?

At a young age, said the judge, they should be put in a pit with wild dogs. They should
be set to puzzle out from their proper clues the one of three doors that does not harbor
wild lions. They should be made to run naked in the desert until...

Hold now, said Tobin. The question was put in all earnestness.

And the answer, said the judge. If God meant to interfere in the degeneracy of mankind
would he not have done so by now? Wolves cull themselves, man. What other creature
could? And is the race of man not more predacious yet? The way of the world is to
bloom and to flower and die but in the affairs of men there is no waning and the noon
of his expression signals the onset of night. His spirit is exhausted at the peak of its
achievement. His meridian is at once his darkening and the evening of his day. He loves
games? Let him play for stakes. This you see here, these ruins wondered at by tribes of
savages, do you not think that this will be again? Aye. And again. With other people,
with other sons.

Gazza_m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 22, 2013, 02:44:00 am »

I'm looking at setting up this idea in my new fort I'm on evil dome. I was thinking using undead ravens/rabbits etc something small?

Would they be to much for the kids to deal with thinking just maybe one or two at a time using necros and pressure plates to control re-animation so kid will have time to eat and drink in between fighting the undead. Just need to control the mood swings with statues and mist??

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 22, 2013, 05:10:34 am »

I'm looking at setting up this idea in my new fort I'm on evil dome. I was thinking using undead ravens/rabbits etc something small?

Would they be to much for the kids to deal with thinking just maybe one or two at a time using necros and pressure plates to control re-animation so kid will have time to eat and drink in between fighting the undead. Just need to control the mood swings with statues and mist??

Good luck. I have had trained military who died horribly while training this way. last accident was from a duck beaking an arm by twistng it. I so wish I had saved  that report for sig...

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 22, 2013, 08:37:33 am »

I'm going to quote myself to show you how this ended:

I'm back from testing, with rather dissappoiting results. For those who don't know what I was doing, I was the guy with the idea to use necromancers and baby hands to train the future supersoldiers.

These are the results:

This is the test subject:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This the baby hand I used to try to "train" him:

And finally, the fight:

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
  • [INORGANIC:BIRD_CRAZY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: July 22, 2013, 01:39:24 pm »

I have a "Migration Office" as an alternative entrance to the fortress. Essentially it's a retracting drawbridge constructed at least ten Z-levels above a river in a canyon, littered with giant sponges and alligators.

Children go in as soon as possible to prevent unhappy relatives.

It also works rather well for invaders, so who the heck needs a military anyway?
Besides, sending unarmed dwarves at them is so much more Fun.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:46:01 pm by Snateraar »
Urist McSnate likes malachite, copper bars, birds and goblinite for its abundance. When possible, he prefers to consume tea and toast. He absolutely detests elves.

A tall, clumsy creature fond of birds and industry.

decev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 22, 2013, 02:26:48 pm »

I'm going to quote myself to show you how this ended:

I'm back from testing, with rather dissappoiting results. For those who don't know what I was doing, I was the guy with the idea to use necromancers and baby hands to train the future supersoldiers.

These are the results:

This is the test subject:

This the baby hand I used to try to "train" him:

And finally, the fight:

Someone earlier in the thread had the idea of using undead mussel shells. Nobody ever tried it. They said that undead mussel shell attacks were too weak to do real damage because of their tiny size. A baby hand is probably considered stronger than a mussel shell. For an evil biome the child might have enough time between reanimations to eat and drink.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 22, 2013, 02:33:50 pm »

IIRC, mussel shells can't reanimate anymore, as mussels don't have a [hand] or [head] tag.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 22, 2013, 02:35:06 pm »

IIRC, mussel shells can't reanimate anymore, as mussels don't have a [hand] or [head] tag.

They can and do.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 22, 2013, 02:49:08 pm »

I thought that that problem was solved. As you would have noticed by this time, I don't fish. I'll see if I can make a child fight one, anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 76