Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 633505 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #825 on: February 05, 2013, 09:11:32 pm »

The llama wool would kill the child. The llama wool would have the same "mass" as the llama and would be able to push the kid painfully hard.

That's how forts end up dying to water buffalo skin. That and the fact that the skin and wool literally multiply if sharp weapons were used IIRC.

Brenticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 05, 2013, 09:45:31 pm »

Ok so I have 2 ideas I am going to try.  Using kobold camp so lots of kiddies to test. 
 First is a hall of doors, one lever per door, each lever hooked up to the next lever to create a push and whack effect.   Will this increase dodge or just nail them? Or not even affect at all?   

Second idea is a pressure plate floor hatch outside the food storage so all kobolds end up being dumped into 7 deep water every time they go for food.  Falling into water damage is reduced should boost swim and maybe dodge?

Will either work?
If the doors aren't effective might use bridges...

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 05, 2013, 10:45:11 pm »

Holy crap, this thread is still around.

Why don't you put the child in a danger room with food and water that has a view of another lethal danger room that is used to kill a variety of things.

Wouldn't that simple it up?
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 06, 2013, 12:15:38 am »

It would simplify things, yes, but it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining as most other methods mentioned here.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 06, 2013, 02:00:14 am »

out of curiosity, i've not followed this for a while... has the item drop training been incorporated into this scheme yet?

Pon_Katt

• Bay Watcher
  • GAK!GAK!GAK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 06, 2013, 10:55:35 am »

Awhile ago, I locked a kid in with every useless animal in my fort.  He lived and was doing pretty well until I dropped ale on his head...
My little voice approves.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 07, 2013, 02:55:14 pm »

Awhile ago, I locked a kid in with every useless animal in my fort.  He lived and was doing pretty well until I dropped ale on his head...

the design has been refined. the proper thing to do is shower them with money :P

(one coin at a time while they're wearing a full set of clothing, that is).

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 07, 2013, 03:00:04 pm »

An entire barrel? Made of lead, no less, I hope. Hehe... that would be real training.

Out of curiosity, how would sand fair? I recall always having too much of that... (and stone, but that would be too Fun.)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 12, 2013, 01:20:53 pm »

Thralls are living creatures, minus everything that makes them a creature.  They are alive, they are not undead, they are truly living creatures, except all the things that distinguish a creature from a corpse, they lack.  They feel no pain, they do not breathe, nor bleed, nor tire, nor thirst, nor hunger, feel no pain or sorry, no joy and take no pleasure even in such things as mist.  They suffer no order and no chaos.  They are, truly, neither alive nor dear, nor really undead.  A Husk is, at its core, a void.  A sin against god in the purest form.  Not simply a blight like a dwarven fort will be named "a sin against nature" but in every sense of the word the Husk is a sin, something which defies nature and embodies everything that should never be.

A Husk will never breath, eat, rest, or suffer fear.  They make an ultimate killing force which simply cannot be stopped.
A Husk ignored all orders, they will not don armor nor remove it, and cannot be controlled except by extremely physical means of walls and locked doors.
A Husk is NOT undead.  It is not a zombie.  It still counts as a living creature, and as such will eventually age and die - perhaps the only true way to defeat a Husk is simply to wall them off behind the bowels of the mountain and try your best to forget that they sit there staring at the wall and craving your death.  Never stopping, never tiring, never becoming distracted, the Husk has one, single, universally persistent thought - to kill that which lives and remove life from the world.  Even as they sit sealed behind the walls, they only linger there.  Only a layer of piled rubble and their forgotten ability to remove constructions keeps you safe as they spend decades, centuries, screaming thoughts through their (possibly torn) brains of all the ways in which they would end your life.

A Husk is not something to weaponize.  Not yet.  Nothing short of bringing the mountain down atop their heads will stop a Husk.  They need no lungs, no limbs, they don't even need a brain.  Reduced to a bleeding, fractured torso they will crawl forward, possessed of otherworldly hatred and fueled by the purest of rage, these beings of raw terror will gladly and effortlessly bring the largest of dwarven mountainhomes to a smear of dust in the time that it takes them to crawl from one end of the entrance to the lower part of the forges.

Perhaps one day we'll be able to utilize them.  They are something of raw power, and we are not ready for that quite yet.  Dwarves who harness the power of magma and upheave heaven and earth itself falter at the strength and single-minded purpose of the Husk.  We are not ready.  Dare I say it but... we are not depraved enough, not ingenious enough, not brave enough to rally the Husk.

This being of unadulterated terror remains the only thing that the craziest of dwarves will avoid.

I'm going to toss in my very simple $0.02 worth in here. If you build a small chamber outside the fortress to hold a husk/thrall, use a bridge to seal it in, and link said bridge to a lever inside the fort you may have a weapon. You could also either drop in chickens, children, or turkeys or place one somewhere so that the thrall/husk will path towards it, then you could seal it in for the next invasion.

I would probably make this a rather large room so that any bait would have room to run away from the horrible evil being. You might also be able to set up a reusable bait system, however I would just feed the poor thing. I mean, it is a living animal. We should take care of it!

EDIT:
Of course before said juggernaught is released, the fort should be sealed and any dwarves left outside should have slabs carved out for them. One might even engrave slabs for the creatures the beast killed, and line his primary "dwelling" with said slabs so that anyone who managed to get into the chamber knows just how royally screwed they are.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:25:09 pm by LoneChipmunk »
ZombieChicken on #dwarffortress on irc.freenode.net

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 12, 2013, 08:58:53 pm »

The children + Husk cloud = the unstoppable supersoldier
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 13, 2013, 11:13:35 am »

Perhaps, if the tiered combat training system were to work on some level, the Husk could be on the bottom level and anyone who falls that far will thus be rejected and disposed of in a manner most suiting to their failure. If, by some chance they survive the Husk, then they will most likely be legendary dodges and/or armor users.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 13, 2013, 03:18:00 pm »

Concerning weaponization of husks...

Will a husk on a leg chain obey the chain's distance restriction?

Eg, if you assign your jail chains under a wimpy canopy top outside in the huskifying dust, and naughty dwarves that fail a mandate get assigned to them, then subsequently exposed to seasonal husk dust... will they be chained up husks, ready to maul whatever tries to fo through that area?

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 13, 2013, 03:54:43 pm »

Concerning weaponization of husks...

Will a husk on a leg chain obey the chain's distance restriction?

Eg, if you assign your jail chains under a wimpy canopy top outside in the huskifying dust, and naughty dwarves that fail a mandate get assigned to them, then subsequently exposed to seasonal husk dust... will they be chained up husks, ready to maul whatever tries to fo through that area?

well, if they do, you've got a very easy way to deal with thieves and snatchers... just make sure the shortest path into your fortress is through locked doors on both sides of the room with the husks :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 13, 2013, 05:57:56 pm »

It may be necessary to define chains as immune to building destroyers first. Husk may destroy the chain, and then go on a rampage.

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 13, 2013, 10:12:08 pm »

There was a reason I said to use bridges. When dealing with things that are almost unstoppable, one must take all the precautions needed to insure the survival of some of the dwarven populous. Don't chain it, but bar it in a room where you control where it goes. As long a you can get it back into it's cage, you are all set. Chains will cause problems if, say, a Troll were to break the chain for some unfathonable reason.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 76