Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 633544 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #555 on: February 22, 2012, 08:00:29 am »

I'll be restarting my fleshball tests in the new version :D
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 22, 2012, 08:04:31 am »

Oh! I made a discovery that I forgot to post. Armadillos when threatened tend to roll into a ball and stay in that ball until you get bored and leave them alone. While in this ball they're completely impervious from anything short of iron weapons. If a child was stuck in a confined space with one it might be forced to fight the armadillo which in turn would not move from it's impenetrable shell.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 23, 2012, 10:02:33 am »

Oh! I made a discovery that I forgot to post. Armadillos when threatened tend to roll into a ball and stay in that ball until you get bored and leave them alone. While in this ball they're completely impervious from anything short of iron weapons. If a child was stuck in a confined space with one it might be forced to fight the armadillo which in turn would not move from it's impenetrable shell.

do you still get skills from it?

brb going into arena.
they stillget skills, I guess we are forced to have some armadillos as better training dummies.
now how do we get a dillo and a dorf inside that box and make it resettable?
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 23, 2012, 10:28:01 am »

Getting the animals into the area is the easy part, it turns out.  And yes, a dwarven child is an animal.  Build a bed, and assign it to the child, and when the child goes to sleep you build a wall.

Are armadillos grazers?

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 23, 2012, 11:13:57 am »

Getting the animals into the area is the easy part, it turns out.  And yes, a dwarven child is an animal.  Build a bed, and assign it to the child, and when the child goes to sleep you build a wall.

Are armadillos grazers?

checking the raws, it seems they are not,

also they can unroll from time to time, which leads t dead armadillos since the trained dwarf would be skilled in combat (they are like living danger rooms for combat training).

weq15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 26, 2012, 04:11:01 pm »

the armadillos seem promising any one testing it
and can you breed  armadillos
Bralbaard. Those impaled corpses are.. The lighting... the ribs... it's magnificent.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 26, 2012, 04:35:17 pm »

Are armadillos grazers?
I think the problem is that armadillos won't roll into a ball until threatened so it would have to be a wild armadillo, the child won't sleep eat or drink anything while it's that close to a wild animal so it's not really set and forget like other animals would be.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 26, 2012, 04:37:58 pm »

also they can unroll from time to time, which leads t dead armadillos since the trained dwarf would be skilled in combat (they are like living danger rooms for combat training).
Can you confirm that they unroll in fortress mode? In the arena everything is suicidally fearless.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 26, 2012, 04:59:21 pm »

Can you confirm that they unroll in fortress mode? In the arena everything is suicidally fearless.

I will then embark on a armadillo biome.

AND DO IT FOR !!SCIENCE!!

weq15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 27, 2012, 10:52:06 pm »

are armadillo a renewable resource
i mean can we breed them   
Bralbaard. Those impaled corpses are.. The lighting... the ribs... it's magnificent.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 28, 2012, 07:50:29 am »

Armadillo seem ok, i mean they can just sit there in a ball getting abused by the child, so fighting or something'll get trained, buty without any retaliation the kid won't learn dodging.
Anyhow, my laptop's totally tapped out, the GPU won't even let me boot without crashing anymore, so i'll need to resume testing fleshballs on my sisters pc ((My other pc (this one i'm using)is a p4 which was ok running 40 D but DF2012 is totally out of the question, also it seems to have picked up either GPU or HDD rot))
So, ugh, in depth testing might need to wait untill I pick up a new pc, or something.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Darksilverhawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 03, 2012, 02:46:12 pm »

I am currently in the process of setting up some testing for this with turkeys. I currently have a 1x3 chamber with a masterwork gem incrusted bed, food stockpile, and nest box ready for testing as soon as Subject 1 (two years old, no friends or siblings, mother died in a tantrum spiral a year ago, quick to heal) decides to go take a nap. There's a hole in the ceiling in case I need to resupply him at any point. Subject 1 is not expected to survive, but will hopefully provide data for future experiments.
When a dwarf has to make a decision, they will make the wrong one approximately 99.7% of the time.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 05, 2012, 06:42:15 pm »

are armadillo a renewable resource
i mean can we breed them   
Wot.

Also, Posting to Watch.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 11, 2012, 12:30:17 am »

Posting to watch.

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 11, 2012, 12:41:27 am »

I'd like to note some progress made on bird-hased training; in a 1x2 chamber, I trained a 2 year old child up to adequate dodger in about 9 months using a large clutch of peafowls (14 chicks); about 4 of them died during it, but the child didn't get anything worse than scratches and was quite content until both parents died (at which point he was released).

He later got eaten by voracious cave crawlers like the other 80 dwarves of that fortress, but he got a few dodges in first. He actually scared one down a 10 story well, so I consider that experiment a success.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 76