Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 624889 times)

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #810 on: September 13, 2012, 04:52:18 pm »

I just did an experiment. The test subjets died of thirst. Apparently dwarfs cannot drink while swimming.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: September 15, 2012, 08:46:49 am »

I finally sat down and worked out an automated swimming training system for my dwarves.  Here's the link:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=116437.0

The system I describe is meant for the entire fort, but you could install one in each cell of your daycare center.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 04, 2013, 06:41:41 pm »

Can Bronze Colossuses have babies? If they can...
The Ultimate Supersoldiers
will be made!
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: February 04, 2013, 07:14:11 pm »

No, bronze colossi cannot reproduce because they do not have male/female castes or a CHILD:X tag. They also don't make good pets and are not a playable race. We must train dorfs, not statues.

So, I have found that it is perfectly possible to train some fraction of children via regular danger rooms, as opposed to animal-based hazards; I would suggest burrowing children in a sealed area with their parents and provide some sort of wooden-stick-resistant cloth or leather which their parents will use to produce clothing. The children and adults will both inevitably end up wearing this clothing. Give the children their own separate bedrooms (assigned to them) which they may enter when tired. The doorway in is a long path which takes them through a hallway full of repeating spikes. As they walk through this hallway they are jabbed constantly and train their defensive skills. When they are legendary dodgers, all you need do is toss them in with an unarmed goblin or some low-threat but aggressive and possibly hard-to-kill wild animal (maybe a crundle) and let them out when they succeed in killing their opponent. Despite the poke-resistant clothing, they will probably break something at some point, so setting the area up with a hospital run by their parents may be wise.

Make sure the area is filled with wonderful furniture, and then execute some family members or pets every once in a while and make sure they find out about it: they will eventually become completely resistant to tragedy, and pointy wooden sticks, and capable of beating animals into submission with their bare hands. Additionally, since there are inevitably failures to wear the correct clothing, and failures of the clothing to protect their brains, some of them will die on spikes, which will hasten the development of their resistance to tragedy.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #814 on: February 04, 2013, 11:29:15 pm »

Ń?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 04, 2013, 11:36:08 pm »

I thought vampires weren't able to build skills after infection?

Also, that they only show up with the "N" character while feeding, or after being outed as a vampire?

(Sorry, phone doesn't easily support extended codepage chars.)

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 04, 2013, 11:39:06 pm »

>_> Ń as in necro
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 04, 2013, 11:48:38 pm »

What's wrong with necromancy? This thread is a classic, and raising it from the dead for revision and amendment every so often just moves it to the front page, where people can re-read it agan.

Kinda like the "on the taming of sea serpents" thread a few days ago.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 05, 2013, 12:13:41 am »

I was referring to Spy's post. Also, it is pretty much off topic...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 05, 2013, 01:39:08 am »

I think dropping a child in a 1x1 with food, bed, sleep and 1 undead llama wool should work and be harmless.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 05, 2013, 01:50:43 am »

I think dropping a child in a 1x1 with food, bed, sleep and 1 undead llama wool should work and be harmless.

Does being attacked by animated wool count as being attacked by the dead?  If so, they'd probably go nuts in short order from the bad thoughts on that one, if they managed to avoid the RNG being silly and allowing the wool to push their skulls through their brains.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 05, 2013, 01:54:09 am »

Does being attacked by animated wool count as being attacked by the dead?  If so, they'd probably go nuts in short order from the bad thoughts on that one, if they managed to avoid the RNG being silly and allowing the wool to push their skulls through their brains.

I guess so, but attacked by the dead is not a "stackable" thought right ?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 05, 2013, 03:15:57 am »

Oh no, it won't.
While llama wool won't have deadly hooves it will prevent the subject from sleeping and child will go mad. Even turkey can do that.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 05, 2013, 04:09:55 am »

Oh no, it won't.
While llama wool won't have deadly hooves it will prevent the subject from sleeping and child will go mad. Even turkey can do that.
then... separating system ?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: February 05, 2013, 07:33:17 am »

Oh no, it won't.

I love this game.

Every time I think I've got it all down and seen it all, I turn the corner and see something like this.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 76