Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 625135 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #675 on: April 02, 2012, 03:03:46 pm »

The omnipile will eventually become unusable due to being glutted with xpigtail socksx. A means of segregation to keeps clothing from getting walked on, as well as a means of rapid disposal are in order.

FalseDead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 08, 2012, 10:00:09 am »

SO if I understand right the only problem with chickens was the gain rate was unsatisfactory?
And the problem with dogs was Death and maiming?

Would it be possible to "graduate" a dorf from chickens to turkeys, from turkeys to foxes, foxes to badgers and then dogs?

Would this lower mortality rate? because they would increase in skill in each level the further levels would be less harmful.

Furthermore, did you have one of each type of medical professional? How close was your hospital? I think that having it immediately across the hall might work best.

Once I figure out how to survive 20 years maybe I will try this.
"Ah the Internet; where the men are men, the women are also men, and the little girls are the F.B.I."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 08, 2012, 10:02:17 am »

You wouldn't move to larger animals because of higher skill.  You'd be doing so because the child is growing larger and can withstand larger bites, and because it slowly raises things like endurance that will also provide higher bite resistance.

I wonder how carts will change things...

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 08, 2012, 03:03:29 pm »

You wouldn't move to larger animals because of higher skill.  You'd be doing so because the child is growing larger and can withstand larger bites, and because it slowly raises things like endurance that will also provide higher bite resistance.

We'll forget all the badgers and everying, we will just sent carts full of explocives to the child. First we will use alcohol, then lignite and finally coal.  Then we mod dynamite into the game and send that in.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 08, 2012, 04:03:52 pm »

Explosives do not exist, at all.  Things either burn or turn to vapor at high temperatures.  There is no "explosion".

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 08, 2012, 04:15:36 pm »

Explosives do not exist, at all.  Things either burn or turn to vapor at high temperatures.  There is no "explosion".
Not quite "not at all". Explosive themselves don't exist, no, but there are a few different custom MATERIAL_EMISSION syndrome tokens (in particular, UNDIRECTED_DUST is one of them, if I remember right) that create an effect similar to what you would expect for a large explosion. When the creature in question executes the ability as an attack, an "explosive" cloud of the material of your choice (you could force magma, for instance, but puke works fine too) is created, which both damages and knocks back any nearby creatures - even sending some up into the air. Unfortunately, unless you've created a custom creature and been very careful with your modding, this is usually fatal for the creature at the epicenter of the "explosion" - they generally get hurled upwards into the air, coming down with the most wonderful "splat" you've ever heard.

Sadly, this would be a bit overkill for dwarven childcare, but I'm sure someone could come up with a solution based on this idea.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

FalseDead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 08, 2012, 06:31:28 pm »

You could reduce the size of the cell( increasing # of fights), relieve your self of the burden of feeding the child, and ensure that your Super-soldiers last until needed and gain skills until eternity by having  Vampire-blood tainted water sitting under them under a grate.

Plus how much do vamps need to rest? could a vampire child fight near continuously throughout 12 years?

Also this would make the failures more useful, suicidal and Crazy could be used for Fortress immortality/increasing tainted water.

While berserk could be used as shock troops( do berserk individuals pick up new armor? hmmmm, doesn't matter)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:49:34 pm by FalseDead »
"Ah the Internet; where the men are men, the women are also men, and the little girls are the F.B.I."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 08, 2012, 07:45:54 pm »

Vampire children don't become adults.

FalseDead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 08, 2012, 08:02:13 pm »

Vampire children don't become adults.

Really? Didn't Know that.....

Well, still use Vampires just do it after they are adults and before they have their flesh and fat burned off.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 08, 2012, 08:04:20 pm »

That's entirely against the point of this whole... what the fuck are we doing here again?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 08, 2012, 08:16:54 pm »

That's entirely against the point of this whole... what the fuck are we doing here again?
It's the idea that never ends...
Yes, it goes on and on, my friends...
Some people started thinking it not knowing what it was
And they'll continue thinking it forever just because
It's the idea that never ends...
Yes, it goes on and on my friends...
Some people started thinking it not knowing what it was
And they'll continue thinking it forever just because
(loop to infinity) (if you get the reference, +1 to you)

Really, I'd hate to give up on this idea... it seems it could eventually be proven possible, under the correct circumstances. I've done a lot of testing on it myself. :P

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 08, 2012, 08:21:42 pm »

There was an unfamiliar noise.  The child looked up from its meal.  Bits of raw dog flesh dribbled from its mouth - the remains of one of the many creatures that had served as companion, tormentor, and ultimately meal for as long as it could remember.  Harsh light flooded the room as a hatch opened up in the wall.  A solid shape came rushing into the room at incredible speed.  The child dodged it effortlessly - a normal dwarf would have doubtlessly been crushed to a pulp, but dodging this was nothing compared to dodging packs of feral dogs.  There was a resounding crash as the strange object struck the far wall, tipping over and spilling its contents.  The object... the... minecart?  The child thought he remembered that word.  The hatch closed as quickly as it had opened.  He walked over - not very far, the cell was only a few meters wide - and inspected the contents.  Tears of joy ran freely down his face as he recognized what lay in the pile.

They had sent him socks!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 08, 2012, 08:23:01 pm »

Lambchop doesn't want to deal with your pussyfooting "Oh I'm tired of this song" BS anymore!

Still, as usual, we're stuck on the big issue.  Size.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 08, 2012, 08:35:55 pm »

There was an unfamiliar noise.  The child looked up from its meal.  Bits of raw dog flesh dribbled from its mouth - the remains of one of the many creatures that had served as companion, tormentor, and ultimately meal for as long as it could remember.  Harsh light flooded the room as a hatch opened up in the wall.  A solid shape came rushing into the room at incredible speed.  The child dodged it effortlessly - a normal dwarf would have doubtlessly been crushed to a pulp, but dodging this was nothing compared to dodging packs of feral dogs.  There was a resounding crash as the strange object struck the far wall, tipping over and spilling its contents.  The object... the... minecart?  The child thought he remembered that word.  The hatch closed as quickly as it had opened.  He walked over - not very far, the cell was only a few meters wide - and inspected the contents.  Tears of joy ran freely down his face as he recognized what lay in the pile.

They had sent him socks!

Nicely said... Well written and quite possibly accurate... :P
Also, that reminds me of Dobby in Harry Potter.

Lambchop doesn't want to deal with your pussyfooting "Oh I'm tired of this song" BS anymore!

Still, as usual, we're stuck on the big issue.  Size.
Wow, I'm impressed. +1 to you. lol   

And yeah, size. I think the minecart idea wouldn't work quite as well, honestly.

Did anyone think to create a custom creature to torment the child with? Just to see if it would work?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 08, 2012, 08:37:30 pm »

Step 1. Children go in hole
Step 3. figure out Step 2.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 76