Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 633646 times)

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #1065 on: January 05, 2014, 04:11:36 pm »

You are all horrible people

Aren't you the guy with the fixation on butchering entire towns (which I'm pretty sure include children too), and boasting in short but graphic detail in numerous threads about it?

It's good to know you draw a line against the horrific slaughter that is DF somewhere lol

In other news, I've got my new testing fort up and running, and am just waiting on a few babies to grow into children so I can be as scientific as possible with my results.

Any word on the goblin/plump helmet man daycare attendant theory? Aside from its use in dwarven daycare, I am generally interested to see if the mental attributes decay due to solitude, or lack of social interaction - or both. Depending on the outcome, that technically has larger implications than just childcare - ie the effect on the last dwarf in a fort, or those vampires who get locked away as eternal accountants/managers...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 05, 2014, 08:34:57 pm »

Around these parts, that's basically a compliment.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 05, 2014, 09:23:03 pm »

Aye, truly terrible homo sapiens. But exemplary examples of dwarfdom.
Human and dwarven ethics are the same in the following areas:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They are different in the following areas:
"Dwarven child care" is either equally human or dwarf, or much more human than dwarf.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 05, 2014, 10:09:49 pm »

I know dfhack can spawn items, but can it spawn entities too? That would make this considerably easier in regard to obtaining some plump helmet men for the test protocol.

1. You want units; entities are civilizations and nothing else.

2. yeah. You might want to use warmist's version that I forked from there or the r3 version I have if you're using r3.

I had to hunt down the R3 version from Warmist.  Works a treat. I could theoretically spawn children for testing this way too...

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 05, 2014, 11:48:56 pm »

"Dwarven child care" is either equally human or dwarf, or much more human than dwarf.
Hm, does !!Science!! count as TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION or TORTURE_FOR_FUN?
Also, I'm not sure the TORTURE applies here at all, people are trying to keep them ecstatic during the tests.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 06, 2014, 06:19:26 am »

I know dfhack can spawn items, but can it spawn entities too? That would make this considerably easier in regard to obtaining some plump helmet men for the test protocol.

1. You want units; entities are civilizations and nothing else.

2. yeah. You might want to use warmist's version that I forked from there or the r3 version I have if you're using r3.

I had to hunt down the R3 version from Warmist.  Works a treat. I could theoretically spawn children for testing this way too...

if you do find a way to spawn children, would you kindly share it with me please?
I've been using spawnunit and the gm-editor but it seems the spawnunit command spawns adults that are 1 year old... I've been using dfusion>misctools>empregnate on the female dwarves and waiting for the babies to grow to children, but thats a laboriously slow process....

I tested the upright spear glitch thing from another thread - it works amazingly well (if incredibly gamey - worse than danger rooms). But it can cause bad to fatal injuries from the fall, so I don't know if it's worth risking children yet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 06, 2014, 12:12:33 pm »

spawnunit.lua 's innards say that the second argument is the caste.

Sadly, it looks like it assigns the current DF year to the birth year field.
Doesnt look like you can make dwarven babies without a little tweaking.

In other news, my dwarves are poppin babies like nobody's business. I just had 5 birth reports in less than 1 dwarven month.  I may have to expand the testing center.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:50:13 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 06, 2014, 01:41:35 pm »

I must have made a mistake somewhere, as my mist generator is generating mist, but it does NOT move up the shaft into the mist chamber, or if it can, it clearly cant pass through a floor grate.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 07, 2014, 08:29:57 am »

Hm, does !!Science!! count as TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION or TORTURE_FOR_FUN?
Also, I'm not sure the TORTURE applies here at all, people are trying to keep them ecstatic during the tests.
It's not torture, it's "enhanced research techniques".

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 07, 2014, 12:04:54 pm »

Welp, non-combat training for children is failure. They don't get xp from performing deconstruction. You can probably still train their growing skill fairly high but that won't stop them from becoming legendary woodcrafters.

Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #1075 on: January 08, 2014, 07:57:55 am »

Welp, non-combat training for children is failure. They don't get xp from performing deconstruction. You can probably still train their growing skill fairly high but that won't stop them from becoming legendary woodcrafters.

You can setup pressure plates which only trigger on children weights and then have your children take swimming lessons.
It is also a great way to capture children for your training chambers.

I have a full processing facility setup now. I will post screenshots once I'm happy that dodging into an underground river isn't going to lead to peacocks/children being swept away.

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 17, 2014, 09:26:55 pm »

By the horrible people thing, it was a compliment.
You should do this to elven children, and then kill them once they're twelve. Those tree humping hypocrites can go fuck themselves.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:30:52 pm by Drewigi »
Strike the earth!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 20, 2014, 03:33:43 am »

spawnunit.lua 's innards say that the second argument is the caste.

Sadly, it looks like it assigns the current DF year to the birth year field.
Doesnt look like you can make dwarven babies without a little tweaking.

In other news, my dwarves are poppin babies like nobody's business. I just had 5 birth reports in less than 1 dwarven month.  I may have to expand the testing center.

Mine is probably broken in some other way but assigns age correctly

Twitchel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 09, 2014, 12:21:13 pm »

You know now that I think on this this program I'm drawing some analogues from other like programes from fiction. -cough- spartanII Death Korps of Krieg -cough-

RailroadRider

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!
    • View Profile
    • Look at me!
« Reply #1079 on: February 21, 2014, 10:58:44 pm »

"Daddy, why are you throwing me in a pit full of wolves?"

"THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!"
I have an army of dragons. But they aren't very effective against goblins so I use giant cave spiders instead.
There are dead babies all over my legendary dining hall and my population has halved. Thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 76