Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Your typical embarks  (Read 2329 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Your typical embarks
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 12:57:45 am »

Overall embark
1 Carpenter/Stonecrafter (stone pots/crafts) (5/5)
1 Farmer/Cook (5/5)
1 Battlemaster (Full military with novice woodcutter as civ job with 2 in teaching)
1 Leader (Talking skills and a novice in [Weapon skill of battlemaster])
1 Mason/Architect (5/5)
1 Miner/Mechanic (5/5)
1 Warsmith (armor/weapons 5/5)

~50 drink
~30 food
2 Full armor/weapon sets for my two warriors [iron/copper]
~100-150 seeds in total
~ 2 kittens (breeding pair)
~1 pick
~no axe (wood from wagon?)

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 01:36:02 am »

Generally I go with :

2 Miners
1 Woodcutter/carpenter
1 Mason/Mech
1 Leader/manager/bookkeeper/broker
1 Farmer/brewer
1 General Practician

But I'm not really accustomed to the use of rock pot so I'm trying some new setups. The last one is this :

3 miners
1 Blacksmith
1 Farmer/brewer
1 crafter/carpenter/woodcutter
1 mason/mech

The allocated points vary a lot. Sometimes, I just put one point to enable the labor. Good examples are butchery and building designer

For the supplies :
an anvil
at least 25 of each type of alcohol
20 plump helmets
20 some meat/fish (I have a tendency to go with turtle that I've got from 40d)
2 ropes, 2 bucket, 2 blocks (I like to have wells ready fast and I'm kind of lazy)
an axe and enough picks for the miners
For biome without trees I go with lots of logs
If there's aenough trees I go with more food, seeds or some picks for the useless migrants.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 02:43:49 am »

This is what I did last time, and I'm really happy with it:

Miner 5 Dodger 5 -- goodbye Ingish, I still think of you at times, sad way to go
Appraiser 1 Weaponsmith 4 Diagnoser 5 (this probably isn't right, but can't quite remember) -- Duchess, I'd never have thunk it, but it appears that you will eventually die of old age
Armorsmith 5 Dodger 5 -- Erush you have made all of my wealth, and forged every block that built my towers (now armorer 20+, smith 20+, furnace 20+)
Weaponsmith 5 Cook 5 (bet she didn't really have weapon 5, but can't remember) -- Aban, I'm so sorry I forgot to give you water when you got wounded
Teacher 5 Shield 4 Weaponsmith 1 -- Oddom, you kick ass (she's teacher 18 now, fighter 84 if you trust runesmith, close to 250 kills)
Teacher 5 Armor 4 Weaponsmith 1 -- Shorast, sorry that Oddom keeps eclipsing you, you never really had a chance to shine
Teacher 5 Dodge 4 Weaponsmith 1 -- Uzol, thanks to your mood, all of my dwarves use masterpiece axes

All about military instructors and mood management, with dodger just in case of early nastiness, because there are more than enough points anyways.  if there was a shortage, probably the first thing to go would be miner 5.

Brought about 120 drink, 30 plump helmet (for booze only please), maybe 15 silk thread, 20 wood, 7 geese, maybe 20 milk, 1 copper axe, 1 iron anvil, and then, I don't know, probably some bronze bars or something.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:45:29 am by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 03:31:41 am »

2 miners
1 mason/engraver/stonecrafter
1 carpenter/woodcutter/wood burner
1 herbalist/brewer/cook
1 planter
1 axewarf

An entire set of bronze armor and a steel battle axe
The standard stock of booze food and seeds.
2 mining picks
1 copper battle axe

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 04:11:42 am »

There are actually so few embark styles that are truly and problematically wrong that the world is your oyster. Just take in to account whether or not you are going into haunted/terrifying/sinister territory or whether you expect badgers (or other types of enraging animal). Bring some weapons/ores if you are. No trees? Bring more wood. Freezing? Bring some food animals and rope. All of the above? Bring everything listed.

Basically just bring 7 dwarves, 70 or so booze (or ingredients), an anvil (it really does help a quick start) and 30 or so food(or animals/cookables). A few wood/ore/weapons/tools helps too.

I used to have a pretty standard embark that I've tailored/fine-tuned ad-naseum for even the very tricky/killy embarks. Just change it from there. It's based off 0.31.18, but all those things still work perfectly well now, if not even better than they did then. It's a bit of an arrogant claim, and I've tuned it more from that point, but it really does work anywhere in vanilla DF. A quick seach for my username and "embark" would probably find it for you.  But really, bring 7 dwarves and a couple of picks. You'll be fine. Honestly :)

It's a game. Have fun.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 04:21:30 am »

Been trying different setups lately, but my standard is:

5 Miner/5 Diagnostician
5 Miner/5 Wound Dresser
5 Brewer / 4 Grower / 1 Armorsmith (for moods)
5 Cook / 4 Grower / 1 Weaponsmith (for moods)
5 Mechanic / 1 Appraiser / 2 Gem Cutter / 2 Gem Setter
5 Mason / 5 Stonecrafter
3 Fighter / 5 Dodger / 2 Weaponskill

I bring 20ish of each drink, 10ish of each seed, 10 or so meat, 5-10 of each type of milk, 2 picks, 10-30 wood (depending on biome), 4 war dogs, a couple of ducks, and a smattering of cheap cloth, thread, leather, metals, etc in case needed for an early mood.  I usually don't bring an anvil - I just trade some crappy crafts for one in the first trader visit (I take ages to get metal production up and running anyway).

The miners just get left to mine, with an initial focus on getting farms and food storage set up (disabling mining if their medical skills are required).  One of the farmers is assigned to turn all the milk I brought into cheese (milk is only 1 point each, so cheapest way to bring food with you), while the other cooks some meals.  They then both turn on herbalism and harvest the entire map.  The military dwarf turns on woodcutting.  The stoneworker makes some initial doors, tables, walls, bridges and such, before producing crafts to sell (or pots to make booze now).  The mechanic turns on carpentry and makes some basic beds, buckets, and a couple training axes (for woodcutting) before working on mechanisms for my main defense - a pressure plated pit trap.

If it's a hostile/evil environment I'll likely change the Mason to another military dwarf, and bring some materials for weapons and armour.

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 05:55:38 am »

Miner / Stonemason
Miner / Armorsmith / Weaponsmith
Grower / Brewer
Grower / Cook
Medic (Diagnostician / Surgeon / Suturer / Wound Dresser)
Fisherman or Hunter (depends from the embark)
Appraiser / Manager

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 07:21:27 am »

My general use setup.

5 miner/5 armorsmith
5 mason/3 mechanic/2 Building designer
1 leader/1 teacher/3 dodger/3 fighter/2 hammerer
5 brewer/5 cook
5 planter/5 herbalist
5 weaponsmith/1 leader/2 appraiser/1 organizer/1 judge of intent
5 carpenter

I used to focus more on food production across more dwarves but realized that grower/herbalist and cook/brewer is more than enough to jump start farming. I bring 21 of each drink and 3 types of meat. plus plump helmets. These are brewed as soon as I can build the workshops/pots/barrels to do so. With the 2 random grazers slaughtered for meat. This gives me enough supplies to easily last till the first caravan with ability to gather food/kill beasts with my military dwarf to last as long as needed till a proper farming area is going.

I bring 5 mining picks so as to be able to establish the fort proper as soon as possible. I don't bother with an anvil starting out and don't bring cloth/thread/crutches/quivers etc to save more points. Which i use on the best hammer I can get with some basic copper armor to tide the military dwarf over.  When not killing animals for my food stockpile I assign the military dwarf to stonecrafts so his/her agility increases.

I find this flexible enough to survive aquifer embarks, tundra/glacier, deserts and any savage areas. I only tend to bring more military in terrifying biomes.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 07:27:47 am »

Typically I have...

A miner/mechanic
A stonecrafter/mason
A woodcutter/herbalist
A carpenter/architect
A cook/brewer
A grower/processor
A last dwarf biome and location dependent. (Sometimes extra woodcutter, sometimes fisherman etc.)

It works.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 02:17:32 pm »

Good/neutral Embark

miner
miner
woodcutter
carpenter
mason/mechanic
planter
cook/brewer/butcher

Evil embark

miner
miner
woodcutter
carpenter/mason/mechanic
planter
cook/brewer/butcher
military dwarf (Axe or sword, for undead locals)

As for supplies,

2 picks
1 training axe
50+booze
50+food
Plump helmet spawn, rock nuts, pig tails.  Maybe cave wheat for booze variety
Wool yarn
wool cloth
wool bag
wool rope (wool's cheaper than pig tail cloth)
bucket

Evil areas only

1 metal weapon
1 shield.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 02:43:23 pm »

A
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:42:56 am by Benedict Hardy »

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 02:49:29 pm »

I personally do it because I OCD hard about them having decent bedrooms very early.

OCD = DOOM

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 02:54:37 pm »

Surprised that so many people bring an already levelled carpenter. Mason I can understand, since it'll affect the early quality of your dining halls, and you want doors and hatches up quickly to protect from the outdoors, but carpenters are only really useful for beds and bins (cages if you're in a hurry for them early on) and none of those things really need high quality or production speed.

I rarely have a dedicated carpenter until the first or second lot of immigrants.

I don't do carpenter usually, but I prefer it to mason.  One reason is that carpenters are more difficult to level than masons-- there is no shortage of stone.  Some stone goods are important, but anybody can make them.  I don't care about my dining hall early.

Another big reason is shields.  You can make effective ones out of wood, and shield quality is important.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 02:58:55 pm »

Surprised that so many people bring an already levelled carpenter. Mason I can understand, since it'll affect the early quality of your dining halls, and you want doors and hatches up quickly to protect from the outdoors, but carpenters are only really useful for beds and bins (cages if you're in a hurry for them early on) and none of those things really need high quality or production speed.

I rarely have a dedicated carpenter until the first or second lot of immigrants.

I like having decent beds from the start. It helps keep your disgruntled starting fort happy whilst the place gets more things to make them happy.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 03:01:20 pm »

A
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:43:03 am by Benedict Hardy »
Pages: 1 [2] 3