Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SLAVES!  (Read 2023 times)

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SLAVES!
« on: August 13, 2011, 02:53:52 pm »

You all know you want this. Basically the idea is that when you capture goblins, ogres, humans, elves...basically any caged sentient being. That you can have a dwarven slave master collar them like the dogs that they are. From their they can be assigned like a pet to someone, and given simple duties like cleaning, hauling or military duty. More importantly they can be bred just like the animals they are for more slaves. Don't expect to have a valued dwarf set on permenant crank or stone hauling duty again!

Just don't let their numbers grow -too- much. Or you could have a revolt on your hands.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: SLAVES!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 02:55:48 pm »

And here I was thinking I wouldn't be able to use this image. Thank you Logrin.

Search first, read a few topics, then build on the idea. This isn't to stifle your creativity, this is so that we can expand on the idea instead of having the same old debates on the same old ideas. If you don't have anything new to add, don't post.

And here's what the ethics of dwarves say.

[ETHIC:SLAVERY:PUNISH_CAPITAL]

So... no.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 03:00:38 pm »

I say yes, eventually we are going to be other civs than just Dwarves, even those that DO allow slavery.
And before you are dragging reality into this, remember that It's DF we are talking about.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 03:02:45 pm »

Just noticed your previous post. About searching for past posts.

ALSO that said. No reason we can't make a group of dwarves that would say "do your worst mountain-homes" and declare their own king. Especially once we get a way to wage war BACK at people. Imagine the setting of a group of Dwarves that live every man like a noble, sending wave after wave of a slave army to batter the realm into one nation under dwarf.

Or, since we're already going against the moral right, an army of the raised dead. Which would only grow with each new battle.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 03:10:44 pm »

I say yes, eventually we are going to be other civs than just Dwarves, even those that DO allow slavery.
And before you are dragging reality into this, remember that It's DF we are talking about.

When Toady will implement slavery, but (1) he was talking about dwarves and (2) Toady is well aware that other civs have slavery and I'm sure he'll create something then.

ALSO that said. No reason we can't make a group of dwarves that would say "do your worst mountain-homes" and declare their own king. Especially once we get a way to wage war BACK at people. Imagine the setting of a group of Dwarves that live every man like a noble, sending wave after wave of a slave army to batter the realm into one nation under dwarf.

Planned for the Army arc. However the mountain home will have 1000's of dwarves. How many dwarves will you have in your fortress? Also keep in mind that sieges will be updated dramatically. They'll be able to avoid traps and cross moats, they'll probably bring siege weapons and dwarves will be able to dig.

Oh and furthermore, attacking a dwarf in your civilization (outpost liaison/merchants) via kill command will result in a loyalty cascade and all your dwarves will kill each other. So it will backfire horribly. Seems like a high price for slavery.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 05:36:28 pm »

NO PRICE IS TOO HIGH FOR SLAVERY

If my dwarves lived in a legendary, engraved marble castle and all the fighting was done by enslaved trolls and ogres? I think loyalty should DEFINATELY be a two way street. If the king can garner it, so can I. I just have to balance happiness with atrocity. Maybe a dwarven youth briggade or two....

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 06:08:01 pm »

I just have to balance happiness with atrocity.

YOU ARE NOT A DWARF! We do not balance atrocity with anything! Atrocity IS happiness!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 09:24:59 pm »

We already have slaves, they're called dwarves.

After all, they are slaves to Armok.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 09:34:29 pm »

I was just thinking that, if this was implemented (along with the military things mentioned above), I would make the Dwarven Civ allow slaves, but have my Dwarves be revolutionaries.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 07:08:44 am »

What if dwarfs only enslave animal people ?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 10:22:27 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:44:12 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 12:34:41 pm »

I don't see slavery being at all practical until there's a kind of dwarven economy in place. As it is, everyone *already* works long hours with no pay. Also, half the fortress tends to be unemployed at any given time.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

HUGE_WALRUS

• Bay Watcher
  • What was that, sandvich? Kill them all?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 02:27:56 pm »

People seem to be confusing law and ethics here.  The reason that you don't fuck your sister isn't because there's a law against it, but because it violates your culture's ethical beliefs (leaving aside selection-based instinctual drives).  The reason dorfs don't take slaves isn't because the mountainhomes say so, it's because slavery is abhorrent to dorf culture and its understanding of right and wrong.  You can expect INTERNAL strife as well as external punishment if you decide to suddenly revise ethics as dorfs know it in your fort.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 04:40:06 pm »

[ETHIC:SLAVERY:PUNISH_CAPITAL]

Capital punishment is punishment by death that is assigned by the government. It's a law.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

HUGE_WALRUS

• Bay Watcher
  • What was that, sandvich? Kill them all?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 05:57:12 pm »

That law often follows the dominant ethical system should be blindingly obvious.
Pages: [1] 2