Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Agility tests  (Read 674 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Agility tests
« on: August 13, 2011, 02:23:28 pm »

I was doing some agility and timing tests recently, trying to figure out my goblin clock, and ran into some data that contradicts what is popularly 'known' about DF.

Using runesmith, it's easy to make a goblin have any agility.  So I was playing around with agility values.  Naked, unwounded goblin, of course, although it'd be good to hear of any other variables people think might matter.

The first surprising thing is that a goblin with 1000 agility (the average) does not move every 10 frames.  Most of the time, he moves every 11.  Now, this would be easy to explain as an error by 1, except it's not even every 11 either: it's more like he moves every 10.9 frames.  (In the pursuit of a 10-frame step, I settled on an agility of 1200: looks pretty good after a hundred steps or so).

For kicks, I looked at the same goblin with agility of 1 and with agility of 5000.  The goblin with an agility of 1 moved every 14 frames-- didn't test for long enough to rule out fractions.  The goblin with an agility of 5000 moved every 7 frames.

So I suspect that while 1000 agility is the typical value, it's not the value at which every thing comes out even.  I'd suspect agility to function as a logarithmic scale, probably base 2, maybe natural log, but polling a few more data points could confirm it. 
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
Re: Agility tests
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 02:46:28 pm »

k

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Agility tests
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 02:53:18 pm »

[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:AGILITY:150:600:800:900:1000:1100:1500]                 -

Technically speaking the average for a dwarf is 900. But average itself is relative as every creature has different agility elves for example

[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:AGILITY:450:950:1150:1250:1350:1550:2250]               +

Have an average agility of 1250.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!