Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpiles claim unneeded bins  (Read 447 times)

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stockpiles claim unneeded bins
« on: October 30, 2006, 01:43:00 pm »

My leather stockpile decided to be selfish and claimed its full amount of bins, even though 4 of them are empty and 5 of them are full of stuff that should be in other stockpiles.  One of my 'cloth' stockpiles that I assigned to only hold thread did the same thing.

Also, even when my dwarves are idle, they don't seem to want to empty mis-matched bins into the proper stockpiles.  They also won't take empty 'claimed' ones out of stockpiles and use them where they're needed.

I think this issue might only turn up when converting to the new stockpile format, though.  I think if I make enough bins or assign enough extra stockpile space, it might fix itself.

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpiles claim unneeded bins
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 03:10:00 pm »

Well, I can't seem to make it work.  I created a few huge Finished Goods stockpiles and my dwarves went over to my already-existing Finished Goods stockpiles and started yanking crap out of the properly-placed bins there.  Eventually they stopped moving things around, but several of my other stockpiles still had Finished Goods bins in them.  No matter how I de-allocate and re-allocate space, they keep picking up bins and putting them in the wrong stockpiles.  I just witnessed a dwarf pick up a Leather Bin from a spot I just erased out of one of my Finished Goods stockpiles, and walk over and put it down in a Cloth stockpile.

I'm gonna try making a huge surplus of bins and see what that does.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 10:01:00 pm »

i'm thinking maybe it's to do with not having the required piles...

i mean i've got an ammo pile (well 2 of them) with gem bins.. (plus the obligatory empty 1) and i've no gem piles anywhere

i didn't see whether they hauled the gems into an empty bin already in the ammo pile.. or whether they hauled a gem bin into the pile... fell asleep actually...

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 03:19:00 am »

Yeah, I've got a gem-bin on an ammo stockpile as well.

Well, the system is freshly implemented and bound to come with a bunch of bugs :P

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 04:06:00 am »

Right now the piles are very greedy and want their bins, and they don't care what's in them.  It's hard to get it to work right though -- if you have an unclaimed leather bin, should the dwarves wait for you to build a leather pile (and then the pile claims the bin), or should the dwarves take the leather out of the bin and move it to a leather pile that is full of bins but has plenty of space.  I can see either situation being feasible, or even urgent, depending on the setup.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 09:26:00 am »

I think the dwarves should leave bins and their contents where they are until a pile that can take the bin comes up.  

Ideally they would be able to take leather out of the bin if all leather stockpiles were empty, or didn't exist.

How do you keep track of everything that isn't part of something elses inventory?

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 12:44:00 pm »

I think dwarves should only move bins if they're empty.  That way, they take the individual items out of the bin and put them in a stockpile until the bin is empty, then they take the now-empty bin and put it wherever it's needed.

Of course, this means you either need stockpiles that always have 10 extra spaces, or always have an extra empty bin lying around.  I generally try to keep 5 or so extra bins, so that would be the best solution for me.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 12:20:00 am »

I partly like the only-move-bins-if-they're-empty idea, but it'd kill the efficiency of moving one bin vs. 10+ individual items.  Furthermore, since barrels are "food bins", you wouldn't be able to move barrels with drink in them.

I'm too tired to reason out a good "how I'd like to see them behave" scheme right now but I'll give it some more thought later.

BTW, thank you so much for the specialized stockpiles, Toady.   ;)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 12:27:00 am »

I've fixed most of the bugs now, maybe it'll be easier when the system is running within its own specs.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!